Add-on Updater August 27th build posted

Hi all,

Add-on Updater August 27th build (proof of concept) is now available. This build brings:

  • User experience feedback: when add-on updates dialog appears, all add-on checkboxes will be checked by default. This is in response to feedback from people regarding user experience of having this checked/unchecked. My original intent was to check them, but couldn’t find a solution for a while. This fix also addresses a problem where users of most recent releases could not update their add-ons due to missing wxPython attribute when running NVDA 2018.2.1.
  • Development snapshot download: fixed an issue where if you told Add-on Updater to download development versions of add-ons, it would download stable releases instead. This was internal to the add-on – no changes to add-on server.

Important notes:

  • If you are running NVDA 2018.2.x and happen to use August 25th build (the original, not revision A), you need to apply this update manually. To do so, go to NVDA add-ons website (addons.nvda-project.org), go to “add-ons under development”, look for Add-on Updater, and download the build offered.
  • This is a proof of concept add-on, thus no stable build will be released and should be used to send feedback regarding add-on update feature in NVDA (which I’m working on).

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

There may or may not be announcements regarding this add-on on this list for a while, as I plan to shift attention to the corresponding NVDA feature in order to apply lessons learned through this add-on. The next big thing might be ability to update Windows 10 App Essentials through Add-on Updater, but that won’t happen until October at the earliest.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Ian Westerland

Perfect Joseph. Thank you.

Cheers.

Ian Westerland

On 8/28/2018 2:26 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

Michael Munn

Ok Thanks joasiph
i'm currently testing your program.
I asked Quentin C from NVAccess to add this feature in to the NVDA Screen Reader and he got back to me very quickly and he said that they are working on this program and he provide me a web link to the Screen Curtain.
Thanks Joasiph again for this wonderful add on.
I don't like people to see after my shoulder. When I'm doing work on my Computer.

Best Regards
Michael Munn

"If a person must be blind, it is better to be blind in Iowa than anywhere else in the nation or in the world."
Harold Russell,
Des Moines
1968
Michael Munn
Member:
Virginia Association of Blind Student
Delegate:
Virginia Association of Blind Student
Student of:
Hadley Institute for the Blind
Email address:

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 6:58 PM, Ian Westerland <iwesterl@...> wrote:

[...]

I think you meant Add-on Updater, not Screen Curtain. Screen Curtain is being researched by another programmer. If talking about Add-on Updater, that’ll be me.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Ok thanks for the clearfication.
I got these two confused.