Can't select words using latest stable versions Firefox, NVDA

Jackie

Using Firefox version 61.0.2 (64-bit), when I press control shift
right arrow, words are no longer selected. Anyone else notice this?

Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

it is not happening on my version of fire fox and it is the latest
version 61 some thing  a rather. It is selecting what I want and i hear
it say the word then selecting or is it selected all the line i want
then copy it.

So no problems but I am using a 32 bit version of fire fox but do not
think that would  just because you have a 64 bit version it would do it.

Gene nz

On 8/29/2018 9:43 AM, Jackie wrote:
Using Firefox version 61.0.2 (64-bit), when I press control shift
right arrow, words are no longer selected. Anyone else notice this?

Jackie

Well, it works when a whole line is selected, but not word by word.

On 8/28/18, hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:
Hi

it is not happening on my version of fire fox and it is the latest
version 61 some thing  a rather. It is selecting what I want and i hear
it say the word then selecting or is it selected all the line i want
then copy it.

So no problems but I am using a 32 bit version of fire fox but do not
think that would  just because you have a 64 bit version it would do it.

Gene nz

On 8/29/2018 9:43 AM, Jackie wrote:
Using Firefox version 61.0.2 (64-bit), when I press control shift
right arrow, words are no longer selected. Anyone else notice this?

Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com

Kwork

Try restarting NVDA. I did have that work one time when the normal selection methods seemed to be broken. No guarantees, but worth a try at least I think. Pressing ctrl+alt+n will automatically close and restart NVDA.

Travis

On 8/28/2018 3:22 PM, Jackie wrote:
Well, it works when a whole line is selected, but not word by word.

On 8/28/18, hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:
Hi

it is not happening on my version of fire fox and it is the latest
version 61 some thing  a rather. It is selecting what I want and i hear
it say the word then selecting or is it selected all the line i want
then copy it.

So no problems but I am using a 32 bit version of fire fox but do not
think that would  just because you have a 64 bit version it would do it.

Gene nz

On 8/29/2018 9:43 AM, Jackie wrote:
Using Firefox version 61.0.2 (64-bit), when I press control shift
right arrow, words are no longer selected. Anyone else notice this?

Jackie

Unfortunately, it's been doing this since I updated sometime last
week, ie, it's been restarted multiple times since.

On 8/28/18, Kwork <istherelife@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Jackie,

Here's one thing I thought of trying. This should tell us if your Firefox update might have corrupted things somehow.

Grab the portable version of Firefox:

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

It's version 62.0.2, the latest right now, and choose where you want it on your computer.

When done, open it up and see if you can select text normally, or if you're still having trouble. If things are normal, your desktop installation may have corrupted, and you might have to uninstall and reinstall Firefox. If things are still not working properly with the portable edition, you may have to do the same uninstalling/reinstalling, but this time with NVDA.

Another idea is to disable all NVDA and/or Firefox add-ons and extensions and see if something there may be causing troubles. If things work after that, try enabling things one at a time, and one of them will likely break Firefox selection for you, but you'll know what the culprit is this time.

Hopefully something will work.

I just tested things again with NVDA 2018.2, Windows 10 and Firefox 61.0.2, both 64-bit, and all worked as expected.

Good luck,

Travis

On 8/28/2018 3:39 PM, Jackie wrote:
[...]

Hey Travis, I'd forgotten about portable ff! Thanks for the reminder!
Indeed, that worked. So I decided to paw thru what few FF addons I had
installed, & of course it had to be my favorite screen capture tool!
@#$%! So something in the last update of ff proved incompatible
w/Nimbus Screen Capture. O, well--I can just as easily use Screen
Grab, I guess. I sure hate it like bloody double-hockey-stick when
that happens, though. Man all these addons can really cause problems
when they want to!

Thanks again for the reminder about portable ff. & editing w/ff will
be a lot easier again. That's particularly true as I use GMail on the
web & not an email client. That was getting tedious, & past time to
get fixed.

[...]

Hey, Jackie, I certainly hear you. I was using a few legacy add-ons when we all needed to upgrade to FF Quantum, so there was a bit of virtual kicking and screaming as I made the transition. I ultimately determined that security was worth the price.

There is certainly pain with losing a favorite add-on though.

Travis

On 8/28/2018 5:01 PM, Jackie wrote:
[...]

I think the biggest loss to our community has been that of Webvisum.
There was this 1 music site--again no longer in existence--that
required completion of a captcha in order to download music. After my
eldest daughter was killed, I frequented that site a lot. It helped me
get thru all that. I will always be grateful to those gentlemen for
that addon. I told them so, too, both w/my words & w/my money. But
when you can't make enough money for doing stuff like that to keep the
lights on, you move on to other stuff that pays the bills.
Unfortunately, that's what a lot of these programmers have to do,
because they're simply not making enough money to make it worthwhile
to continue maintaining the app in question.

Nice to make your acquaintance, Travis.

wrote:
Hi

it is not happening on my version of fire fox and it is the latest
version 61 some thing  a rather. It is selecting what I want and i
hear
it say the word then selecting or is it selected all the line i want
then copy it.

So no problems but I am using a 32 bit version of fire fox but do
not
think that would  just because you have a 64 bit version it would do
it.

Gene nz

On 8/29/2018 9:43 AM, Jackie wrote:
Using Firefox version 61.0.2 (64-bit), when I press control shift
right arrow, words are no longer selected. Anyone else notice this?

Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com

Brian's Mail list account

Was security any better, really? I went to Waterfox and find it far faster than firefox and navigational sounds still works. However some web sites are getting very crafty over add blockers, like File hippo refusing to let you get some things if its on. I often wonder if it might be possible for a browser to not tell the incoming stream of rubbish from the ad provider that its just consigning the content to the bin. Surely it has to be possible to redirect content from another server to another place whether it be a different tab or just nowhere?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Get a hosts file, Brian. That's likely the most effective way.