Update on Amazon Kindle Site with NVDA

Abbie Taylor

I just now tried to purchase another Kindle book from the Amazon site. When I couldn't find the button to buy with one click with NVDA, not even with object navigation, I switched to System Access, and sure enough, there was the button, and I was able to successfully complete the purchase without having to call Amazon's disability customer service.

It sounds to me, then, that the issue here may be with NVDA, although folks who use Jaws or Narrator could possibly try the site to see if they can find that elusive button. I wonder if there is something NVDA developers can do to allow the program to read these buttons. Surely there are other such buttons on other sites that NVDA won't read, even with object navigation, but that are easily recognized by other programs. Not all screen readers are created equal. This is just an idea for what it's worth.

--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com abbietaylor945@... Order my new memoir at http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com/memoir.htm

--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
abbietaylor945@...

Jonathan COHN

Hello,

I just did a little viewing around on the Amazon / Kindle site for the second time in my life. I only really closely examined the page for one book "House of Trump House of Putin".

I went to the kindle store searched for a title and then clicked the link. At that point I had a "main region" available with buying options. It seems the tab order is all over the place so I am not quite sure about that. When I found buying options hitting tab and then shift tab three times seemed to bring me to the Kindle purchase button.

Another way I found to find the Kindle purchase button for this book was to hit H3 to get to the start of the reviews, and then hit shift-B to go back one button.

I hope this helps, but I have to say it is a bit confusing. Certainly searching for "Kindle" with NVDA search functions might be more effective.

Jonathan Cohn

[...]

Jackie

Abbie, just so we can look at the same stuff, can you tell us what
book you were trying to get?

I had some trouble w/it last time when this was brought up, but I
looked at it today regarding a book title & here's what I got:
"Is Your Cat Crazy Solutions from the Casebook of a Cat Therapist:
Solutions from the Casebook of a Cat TherapistMar 27, 1996   Kindle
eBook
by John C. Wright
$10.99
Kindle Edition
Buy now with 1-Click ® (button)
Get it TODAY, Aug 28
4 out of 5 stars 12
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC"

so the 1-click button was definitely there for me.

On 8/28/18, Cohn, Jonathan <jcohn@...> wrote:
[...]

Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com

Brian's Mail list account

You might consider documenting this on an issue in github. be very specific about versions of software and browsers though.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Here's the link to the book I purchased yesterday. I've noticed the same issue with other books, and you know what? With my BrailleNote Touch running Android 4, I can find that Purchase with One Click button quite easily. Go figure.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G65V94Z/ref=pe_385040_118058080_TE_M1DP

Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
abbietaylor945@...
Order my new memoir at http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com/memoir.htm

--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
abbietaylor945@...

Jackie

Well, what I had to do was to click the 'kindle' button to let them
know I wanted the Kindle book & not via Kindle unlimited. Then I had
to tab till I found the buy w/1 click. But 'tweren't easy.

On 8/29/18, Abbie Taylor <abbietaylor945@...> wrote:
Here's the link to the book I purchased yesterday. I've noticed the same
issue with other books, and you know what? With my BrailleNote Touch running
Android 4, I can find that Purchase with One Click button quite easily. Go
figure.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G65V94Z/ref=pe_385040_118058080_TE_M1DP

Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
abbietaylor945@...
Order my new memoir at http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com/memoir.htm

--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
abbietaylor945@...

Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com

Kwork

The other thing you can do that I've figured out now, is to use object navigation. For instance, on this particular book, do the following:

Go to the first heading. It's called "buying options." There's no level number associated with it, so using the numbers on the keyboard won't work.

NVDA+numpad 2 to move into the dialogue using object navigation.

NVDA+numpad 6 and NVDA+numpad 4 to move forward and back through the dialogue.

NVDA+numpad enter to make your selection.

Since this one is available on Kindle Unlimited, you can either buy the book or read it with KU. Moving forward through the dialogue this way will at least tell you the price, if it's available through KU along with a "read now" button if applicable, and offer you the "buy" button after the other information given.

Another way to get more quickly to the buy button is to go to the buying options heading, press f once to the next form, sometimes a checkbox, sometimes the name of the Kindle device where the book will be sent, then shift tab back to the buy now button, usually two or three choices back.

The problem with this method is that you haven't heard the price yet, or know KU availabilityunless you check down the page first.

Things are still broken with NVDA 2018.3 beta, and so far the developers have been silent.

Travis