accessible sms texting from windows with NVDA

Dan Beaver

Hi,

I have been looking into doing this.  However, there are so many choices I am uncertain which to choose.

Has anyone else figured out any of the apps and services that are accessible using NVDA to do SMS texting from a  Windows system?  If so which are accessible and easy to use?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Hope Williamson <isepic@...>

Hi, I'm pretty sure you can use email to do this if you get the carrier's address right. Here's a link on how to do this. https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-send-a-text-from-your-email-account/ Basically, you open up your email client and put the number you're sending to in followed by the carriers SMS gateway address.

On 8/30/2018 6:33 AM, Dan Beaver wrote:

Hi,

I have been looking into doing this.  However, there are so many choices I am uncertain which to choose.

Has anyone else figured out any of the apps and services that are accessible using NVDA to do SMS texting from a  Windows system?  If so which are accessible and easy to use?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The problem is, I need to do it in Europe.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Hi, I'm pretty sure you can use email to do this if you get the
carrier's address right. Here's a link on how to do this.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-send-a-text-from-your-email-account/
Basically, you open up your email client and put the number you're
sending to in followed by the carriers SMS gateway address.

On 8/30/2018 6:33 AM, Dan Beaver wrote:

Hi,

I have been looking into doing this. However, there are so many
choices I am uncertain which to choose.

Has anyone else figured out any of the apps and services that are
accessible using NVDA to do SMS texting from a Windows system? If so
which are accessible and easy to use?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Aman Singer

Hi,

If you have an Android device, try Pulse SMS
http://www.pulsesms.com/
Its web site works well though, in my experience, the app doesn't.
I know of no way to do this from the iPhone or another phone type, unfortunately. Obviously, if you want to do this from a number other than that of your phone, that is, if you don't care about your SMS appearing from, and replies to those messages going to, a number different from your own phone number, you can use any of the VOIP services. See, just for accessible examples
http://www.callcentric.com
http://www.les.net
HTH,
Aman

Hi, I'm pretty sure you can use email to do this if you get the
carrier's address right. Here's a link on how to do this.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-send-a-text-from-your-email-account/
Basically, you open up your email client and put the number you're
sending to in followed by the carriers SMS gateway address.

On 8/30/2018 6:33 AM, Dan Beaver wrote:

Hi,

I have been looking into doing this. However, there are so many
choices I am uncertain which to choose.

Has anyone else figured out any of the apps and services that are
accessible using NVDA to do SMS texting from a Windows system? If so
which are accessible and easy to use?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Michael Munn

How to do this again?

On Aug 30, 2018, at 11:22 AM, Aman Singer <aman.singer@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I am talking windows, not from a phone of course.
[...]

I think you all assume we all know what you mean, unfortunately though!
[...]

Ervin, Glenn

Well, if you have eMail on your phone, you can text people via eMail by sending an eMail message to 10-digit-number@the domain
For example, to text to a cell phone on Verizon, you eMail to:
5555555555@vtext.com
All cell companies have domains for eMailing to.
Glenn

[...]

Antony Stone

I don't believe that "all cell companies have domains for eMailing to" is
globally true.

For example, can you find a domain for Vodafone UK?

Also, how do you know which provider's domain you need to send the message to
when all you know is the phone number?

Antony.

On Thursday 30 August 2018 at 22:08:58, Ervin, Glenn wrote:

Well, if you have eMail on your phone, you can text people via eMail by
sending an eMail message to 10-digit-number@the domain For example, to
text to a cell phone on Verizon, you eMail to:
5555555555@vtext.com
All cell companies have domains for eMailing to.
Glenn

Mail list account via Groups.Io Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2018 10:52 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

--
The Magic Words are Squeamish Ossifrage.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Glen,

My mom and I are testing back and forth because she can't hear now. She can talk to me but if I talk to her, she can't hear me. Texting is the only way we can communicate now.

Rosemarie

[...]

Well, I can't tell you for outside the US, but I can't imagine that they don't.
But perhaps it is using another company's towers.
For example, I'm on Selectel, yet I use the Verizon domain.
So it's likely using the domain for who's towers it rides on.
Glenn

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

I'm not fond of texting, or writing for that matter on a cell phone, I can do it, but it's slow.
Usually when I text other people's phones, I do it from a computer.
Glenn

[...]

I agree that texting from a cell phone is quite slow. It's so much easier to do it from the computer. I really don't like texting either but in Mom's case, I don't really have a choice. Her hearing is pretty bad but this recent ear infectionmade it worse.

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I actually hated pulse. and I used it last year. the android app was horable and the website needed work and I contacted the developers about the issues giving them a detailed bug report. they responsed “so what do you want us to do about it?” Yeah good job guys.

bglists@... Sent via blueyonder. Please address personal E-mail to:- briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff' in the display name field. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Munn " michaelrbms@... To: "Aman Singer" aman.singer@...; nvda@nvda.groups.io Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2018 6:12 PM Subject: Re: [nvda] accessible sms texting from windows with NVDA

How to do this again? On Aug 30, 2018, at 11:22 AM, Aman Singer aman.singer@... wrote:

Hi,

If you have an Android device, try Pulse SMS http://www.pulsesms.com/ Its web site works well though, in my experience, the app doesn't. I know of no way to do this from the iPhone or another phone type, unfortunately. Obviously, if you want to do this from a number other than that of your phone, that is, if you don't care about your SMS appearing from, and replies to those messages going to, a number different from your own phone number, you can use any of the VOIP services. See, just for accessible examples http://www.callcentric.com http://www.les.net HTH, Aman

-----Original Message----- From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2018 10:52 AM To: nvda@nvda.groups.io Subject: Re: [nvda] accessible sms texting from windows with NVDA

The problem is, I need to do it in Europe. Brian

bglists@... Sent via blueyonder. Please address personal E-mail to:- briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff' in the display name field. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Hope Williamson via Groups.Io" To: nvda@nvda.groups.io Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2018 2:43 PM Subject: Re: [nvda] accessible sms texting from windows with NVDA

Hi, I'm pretty sure you can use email to do this if you get the carrier's address right. Here's a link on how to do this. https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-send-a-text-from-your-email-account/ Basically, you open up your email client and put the number you're sending to in followed by the carriers SMS gateway address.

On 8/30/2018 6:33 AM, Dan Beaver wrote: > > Hi, > > > I have been looking into doing this. However, there are so many > choices I am uncertain which to choose. > > > Has anyone else figured out any of the apps and services that are > accessible using NVDA to do SMS texting from a Windows system? If so > which are accessible and easy to use? > > > Thanks. > > > Dan Beaver > >

Ervin, Glenn

What I usually do is to use the dictation.
But I did find an app that she could install on her phone, and you can talk, and it puts the words you say into text.
It's called:
Live Caption
You can make the text white on black if that is better, and larger text too.
It's free.
Glenn

[...]

On Saturday one of my sisters gave Mom a little tablet. She can talk into it so she doesn't have to use her hands to text me. The app you suggested sounds great. Would she be able to use it on her tablet?

Rosemarie

[...]

I don't know if there is an Android version of this app, it would work on an iPad.
Seems like there is an Android version when I first looked into it.
Glenn

[...]

I was just wondering because Mom doesn't have an iPhone or a smart phone.

[...]

I still don't understand how you can work out which domain to use just from
knowing the phone number, even if a domain exists for the service provider.

Antony.

Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2018
10:52 AM To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

The problem is, I need to do it in Europe.

Hi, I'm pretty sure you can use email to do this if you get the
carrier's address right. Here's a link on how to do this.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-send-a-text-from-your-email-a
cc ount/ Basically, you open up your email client and put the number
you're sending to in followed by the carriers SMS gateway address.

On 8/30/2018 6:33 AM, Dan Beaver wrote:
Hi,

I have been looking into doing this. However, there are so many
choices I am uncertain which to choose.

Has anyone else figured out any of the apps and services that are
accessible using NVDA to do SMS texting from a Windows system? If so
which are accessible and easy to use?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver
--
Perfection in design is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but
rather when there is nothing left to take away.

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Hi. If you use Android, try Android Messages by Google. You'll need to download the app from the Play Store. Once you do, tap the more options button at the top right of the screen. Then, tap the Messages for Web option. Go to https://messages.android.com/ on your computer. Your phone should tell you that you can scan the QR code on the website to start texting from your computer. Press the scan QR code button and then scan the code on your computer screen with your phone. After that, you can send and receive texts on your computer. I hope this helps.