Topics

setting up imap email

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi all you Google users,

I cannot find the “gear” icon on the Google page for setting up a gmail account.

Here is the instruction that I am following:

Step 1: Enable IMAP

You can retrieve your Gmail messages with a client or device that supports IMAP, like Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail.

1. Sign in to Gmail.

2. Click the gear in the top right .

3. Select Settings.

4. Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.

5. Select Enable IMAP.

6. Click Save Changes.

Note: This setting is not available while using the basic HTML view of Gmail. To enable IMAP, use the standard view instead.

Wonderfully clear instructions! However, I am blocked at step 1! I cannot find the “gear” icon on my screen. Can anyone tell me how to do it without sighted assistance, please?

All the best

Cearbhall

That icon is in fact called something else in its accessible text I think.
Basically from memory, you need to use the standard view and set up the system from there.
I did it for both pop3 and Imap some time back. What was unclear to me was exactly why one would need to switch this on in the first place.
Still Google works in mysterious ways who are we to judge. (cynical smile)
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try Spam Reader
<http://www.spam-reader.com/disclaimer.shtml> for free now!

Gene

In programs, the gear icon very often is identified by screen-readers as tools.
Evidently, on the Google page, you would look for some other name.  I don't know what that name might be but it might imply that you can get to settings from there.  Maybe something like options or preferences or something else that implies a relevant category.

I've never set Google up to be used with an external account in part because, though I have an account, I've almost never used GMail.

Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 8:53 AM

[...]

Kevin Huber

Hi:

If you want to set up a Gmail account, go to www.gmail.com.
If you do not have an existing gmail account, you will be presented
with the form that you have to fill out to creat a google account.

Remember, there will be a capcha that you will have to fill in as
well. I haven't done it in several years, but when I did it, they had
a link to an audio capcha but the audio was, at least for me, almost
impossible to understand. I think I ended up using Webvisom with
Firefox.
Kevin Huber

On 8/19/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try Spam Reader for
free now!

Gene

I said that I have an account but I have never set up GMail to work with an e-mail program.  My point is that the gear icon may use wording that you have to guess or consider the implications of when looking for it.

Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 10:26 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] setting up imap email

On 8/19/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> In programs, the gear icon very often is identified by screen-readers as
> tools.
> Evidently, on the Google page, you would look for some other name.  I don't
> know what that name might be but it might imply that you can get to settings
> from there.  Maybe something like options or preferences or something else
> that implies a relevant category.
>
> I've never set Google up to be used with an external account in part
> because, though I have an account, I've almost never used GMail.
> Gene

Kevin Chao

Is there an issue with gmail.com or inbox.google.com which makes yu want to use a desktop native email client?

Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 10:26 AM

On 8/19/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> In programs, the gear icon very often is identified by screen-readers as
> tools.
> Evidently, on the Google page, you would look for some other name.  I don't
> know what that name might be but it might imply that you can get to settings
> from there.  Maybe something like options or preferences or something else
> that implies a relevant category.
>
> I've never set Google up to be used with an external account in part
> because, though I have an account, I've almost never used GMail.
> Gene

Albert Ruel

I have set up several Gmail accounts, and the captcha is usable, albeit somewhat difficult to do. I sometimes had to do it more than once to find success.

Thx, Albert

Sent from my iPhone

On 8/19/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

NVDA reads the "gear button" as "Settings Menu Button" and will tell you "collapsed, submenu" until you activate it.  It also mentions that you've landed on "toolbar" when you first hit any of the Google Toolbar buttons, of which the Settings Menu Button is only one.

The above presumes that you've already logged in to the Gmail web interface for any one of the services that has settings that you as a user are able to configure.  Gmail is definitely among those.

Gmail should have IMAP access enabled by default these days, but if an account was set up years ago it might not.  If you're trying to use a Gmail account in an email client I would simply try setting it up in that client first.  Those that can do auto setup will always try IMAP first and if the account is not set up to allow IMAP it most likely will fail.  Then you'd have to resort to going in to the Gmail account and turning it on.

Kevin Huber

Hi Brian:

Thanks for that explanation. I actually investigated this myself and
I pressed the settings button and was able to follow the instructions
given in the Gmail help, but instead of click on a gear, I pressed the
settings button and was able to follow the rest of the instructions as
normal.
Kevin Huber ,

[...]

I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never
enough to keep up.
~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in
the Universe"

Gene

Gear is the picture of the icon.  You don't look for just such a term or description when following instructions for sighted users.  You have to use logic and inference and experimentation to see what is being referred to.  programs routinely use a gear icon for the tools menu.  A sighted person sees a gear.  A blind person hears the word tools because that is text the icon has associated with it.  A sighted person can see the word tools, as far as I know.  But it is routinely referred to as a gear.

The same may be true on various web pages where you have options or perhaps a menus.

Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 12:32 PM

Hi Brian:

Thanks for that explanation.  I actually investigated this myself and
I pressed the settings button and was able to follow the instructions
given in the Gmail help, but instead of click on a gear, I pressed the
settings button and was able to follow the rest of the instructions as
normal.
Kevin Huber ,

> NVDA reads the "gear button" as "Settings Menu Button" and will tell you
> "collapsed, submenu" until you activate it.  It also mentions that you've
> landed on "toolbar" when you first hit any of the Google Toolbar buttons, of
> which the Settings Menu Button is only one.
>
> The above presumes that you've already logged in to the Gmail web interface
> for any one of the services that has settings that you as a user are able to
> configure.  Gmail is definitely among those.
>
> Gmail should have IMAP access enabled by default these days, but if an
> account was set up years ago it might not.  If you're trying to use a Gmail
> account in an email client I would simply try setting it up in that client
> first.  Those that can do auto setup will always try IMAP first and if the
> account is not set up to allow IMAP it most likely will fail.  Then you'd
> have to resort to going in to the Gmail account and turning it on.
> --
> Brian
>
> I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never
> enough to keep up.
>          ~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in
> the Universe"

Gene,

         Just as an FYI, there appears to be a steady trend away from "the gear icon" being called "Tools" these days, though that was probably the primary designator when its use first appeared.  That's what I recall, anyway.  The trend is now toward "Settings" and it's being used, in various forms but always showing a gear or gears, on multiple operating systems now, too.  The last Mac I was working with used an icon that looked somewhat like the inner workings of an old wind-up type watch, with multiple interlocking gears, for Settings.

          Even Windows 10 itself is using its own variant of the single gear icon for the settings button.   Keeping an ear out for an announcement of tools makes sense, too, but if you hear settings you can be reasonably confident that they're under a control that uses a gear or gears as its iconic presentation.

This is not the main issue. We are saying that this only sets up via webmail, and often you need to turn on pop3/Imap if you intend to use a client. I did manage to do this but like the origiinal poster the instructions on the website were less than clear. The button you need is called a different name to the name given in the instructions unless you can actually see it.

Googles audio is a lot better than it used to be, but still sometimes malfunttions.
I thought thy might be going over to a more obvios question based system.
After all google accounts still seem to get used by spammers so its obvious that wobbly wwriting is no longer a good way to stop this.
[...]

Don't tempt me...
Some people feel as I do that its not very intuitive and if they have more than one address with different providers a common interface saves a lot of brain strain.

Besides, and although they have preserved a basic version, with web based email the supplier can and often has changed the interface potentially removing access to your email account. Microsoft did this when they rebranded to Outlook twice in fact.
[...]

Yes minewas set up a long time back as well. As amatter of interest, if you want to set up a second account how would one do this as it seems to be always forcing you to log in as the first one so to speak.
A friend has asked me to set one up for him.
[...]

Brian,

         I'm sorry I don't have the time at the moment to even attempt to step through the process of creating a new Google Account (and now, as Google says, it's "one account, all of Google",) but here's the direct link to the Google Account Creation Page.  You fill in quite a bit of basic information, including the userid part of the Google/Gmail address you'd like, right on that page.  It also appears that they may be allowing users to use an existing e-mail address, in full, as their Google account login identifier (much like Microsoft does for Microsoft Accounts) but that could lead to insane confusion pretty quickly.

         Since Google has been heavy into replacing Captchas with ReCaptchas I'd hope that's what they're using if anything of that sort is being used further into the process of account creation.