From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Governor staten <govsta@...>
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2018 10:00:49 PM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] new facebook captcha

Hello list. It now appears that Facebook is using a new captcha to prove
your account isn't spam. It's not the easiest thing in the world to
solve captchas at this time. I'm not willing to run an older version of
a browser to do so.

Another thing is that Facebook should make this test possible for the
blind to pass without much hassle. Has anyone else seen this new test
pop up? These things say we're not human because we can't read or solve
a picture puzzle. How ridiculous!!!

I wrote this little ditty to Facebook accessibility. I had the wrong address. However, I have commented on a Facebook post about this captcha issue. What I wrote follows. It probalby isn't perfect in tone.

"Hello. My name is Governor Staten. I'm sending this to remonstrate with you about this new captcha that has been implemented to prevent fake accounts. I"m a totally blind user, and this captcha is completely impossible for me to solve without sighted assistance, or some other tool I cannot yet access. I use your service every single day. Some things I do on it are deemed as essential to me, my friends, and organizations I am a part of.

Why is there no alternative given to make it possible for the blind to solve this captcha, therefore proving that we are not a spam account, and also proving we are human? Why is it that not being able to solve a purely visual construct makes us not human? It is honestly quite degrading to have it implied that because I cannot solve this captcha that I could be considered a spam account and not a real human being, the same human being who is writing this email to you. This issue is urgent and must be solved immediately!!!

Someone that is as dedicated to accessibility as your organization evidently is should not be making such errors as the one mentioned above. There are a few ways in which this can be solved. For instance, an audio captcha, or asking a question that we can then answer, proving we are human. One more way that I have just contemplated is to use the code generator to provide the answer to the captcha. Have a mode in which it provides these answers if you are blind and/or visually impaired. I'm sure there are other quite inventive ways I haven't yet thought of that could be used as well.

This is all to say that something must be done at your soonest opportunity to do so. I hope that this is not long languishing in a pile that is not urgent or not looked at."

On 8/31/2018 10:23 PM, Lino Morales wrote:

Yes Govsta and it sucks.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hello list. It now appears that Facebook is using a new captcha to prove
your account isn't spam. It's not the easiest thing in the world to
solve captchas at this time. I'm not willing to run an older version of
a browser to do so.

Another thing is that Facebook should make this test possible for the
blind to pass without much hassle. Has anyone else seen this new test
pop up? These things say we're not human because we can't read or solve
a picture puzzle. How ridiculous!!!

Rosemarie Chavarria

That's great. I couldn't have said it better.

Hello list. It now appears that Facebook is using a new captcha to prove
your account isn't spam. It's not the easiest thing in the world to
solve captchas at this time. I'm not willing to run an older version of
a browser to do so.

Another thing is that Facebook should make this test possible for the
blind to pass without much hassle. Has anyone else seen this new test
pop up? These things say we're not human because we can't read or solve
a picture puzzle. How ridiculous!!!

Rosemarie Chavarria

How ridiculous is right. I guess they think we're robots.

Hello list. It now appears that Facebook is using a new captcha to prove your account isn't spam. It's not the easiest thing in the world to solve captchas at this time. I'm not willing to run an older version of a browser to do so.

Another thing is that Facebook should make this test possible for the blind to pass without much hassle. Has anyone else seen this new test pop up? These things say we're not human because we can't read or solve a picture puzzle. How ridiculous!!!

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but with continued deregulation of the Internet and an absolute abandonment of accessibility in education by the  current crowd in Washington, I think more and more, such appeals will fall on  deaf ears.  We're simply too small a market to justify the resources to create such accessibility instruments.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Sky Mundell

That’s true. However, accessibility is still important.

Hello list. It now appears that Facebook is using a new captcha to prove
your account isn't spam. It's not the easiest thing in the world to
solve captchas at this time. I'm not willing to run an older version of
a browser to do so.

Another thing is that Facebook should make this test possible for the
blind to pass without much hassle. Has anyone else seen this new test
pop up? These things say we're not human because we can't read or solve
a picture puzzle. How ridiculous!!!

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

David Moore

Good job, governor Staten!

I wish I had the passion you do about accessibility!

Wow, I needed you as my advocate when I had this job!

Right on!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

That’s true. However, accessibility is still important.

Hello list. It now appears that Facebook is using a new captcha to prove
your account isn't spam. It's not the easiest thing in the world to
solve captchas at this time. I'm not willing to run an older version of
a browser to do so.

Another thing is that Facebook should make this test possible for the
blind to pass without much hassle. Has anyone else seen this new test
pop up? These things say we're not human because we can't read or solve
a picture puzzle. How ridiculous!!!

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I had hoped these were dying out. I assume you have no audio option?
The daft thing is that I have seen well heard many demos of spammer cloud based cap char solvers used by said spammers and to me the only true way to avoid spam is some clever questions or an email authentication system. If Facebook really are going down this route a lot of people not just blind ones will see it as the last straw for a badly run company.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Hello list. It now appears that Facebook is using a new captcha to prove your account isn't spam. It's not the easiest thing in the world to solve captchas at this time. I'm not willing to run an older version of a browser to do so.

Another thing is that Facebook should make this test possible for the blind to pass without much hassle. Has anyone else seen this new test pop up? These things say we're not human because we can't read or solve a picture puzzle. How ridiculous!!!

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

In the US somebody needs to invoke the ADA and make it public I think. Sounds like a cock up to me. I boycott sites that routinely use these. I encountered one the other day on Amazon Alexa, but logging in in a different way did not present it

It said, please click on the picture with a house in it, Like what?
Brian.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Hello list. It now appears that Facebook is using a new captcha to prove
your account isn't spam. It's not the easiest thing in the world to
solve captchas at this time. I'm not willing to run an older version of
a browser to do so.

Another thing is that Facebook should make this test possible for the
blind to pass without much hassle. Has anyone else seen this new test
pop up? These things say we're not human because we can't read or solve
a picture puzzle. How ridiculous!!!

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

But it is not hard to do. Many many sites seem to have solved the problem without resorting to pretty pictures.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Hello list. It now appears that Facebook is using a new captcha to prove
your account isn't spam. It's not the easiest thing in the world to
solve captchas at this time. I'm not willing to run an older version of
a browser to do so.

Another thing is that Facebook should make this test possible for the
blind to pass without much hassle. Has anyone else seen this new test
pop up? These things say we're not human because we can't read or solve
a picture puzzle. How ridiculous!!!

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The daft part is that all of these can probably be done with seeing AI.

Not that everyone has an apple device of course or maybe they will fund the use of aira at megabucks an hour so we could use their site?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

How ridiculous is right. I guess they think we're robots.

Hello list. It now appears that Facebook is using a new captcha to prove your account isn't spam. It's not the easiest thing in the world to solve captchas at this time. I'm not willing to run an older version of a browser to do so.

Another thing is that Facebook should make this test possible for the blind to pass without much hassle. Has anyone else seen this new test pop up? These things say we're not human because we can't read or solve a picture puzzle. How ridiculous!!!

Ron Canazzi

The A.D.A. does not cover private companies with respect to Internet accessibility.

On 9/1/2018 4:37 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
In the US somebody needs to invoke the ADA and make it public I think. Sounds like a cock up to me. I boycott sites that routinely use these. I encountered one the other day on Amazon Alexa, but logging in in a different way did not present it

It said, please click on the picture with a house in it, Like what?
Brian.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Governor staten" <@Govsta>

Hello list. It now appears that Facebook is using a new captcha to prove
your account isn't spam. It's not the easiest thing in the world to
solve captchas at this time. I'm not willing to run an older version of
a browser to do so.

Another thing is that Facebook should make this test possible for the
blind to pass without much hassle. Has anyone else seen this new test
pop up? These things say we're not human because we can't read or solve
a picture puzzle. How ridiculous!!!

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

What do you mean boycott?  If they aren't accessible, there is no practical way to use them without sighted help being available whenever you want to.  The site is boycotting you.

>I wrote this little ditty to Facebook accessibility. I had the wrong
> address. However, I have commented on a Facebook post about this captcha
> issue. What I wrote follows. It probalby isn't perfect in tone.
>

> "Hello. My name is Governor Staten. I'm sending this to remonstrate with
> you about this new captcha that has been implemented to prevent fake
> accounts. I"m a totally blind user, and this captcha is completely
> impossible for me to solve without sighted assistance, or some other
> tool I cannot yet access. I use your service every single day. Some
> things I do on it are deemed as essential to me, my friends, and
> organizations I am a part of.
>

> Why is there no alternative given to make it possible for the blind to
> solve this captcha, therefore proving that we are not a spam account,
> and also proving we are human? Why is it that not being able to solve a
> purely visual construct makes us not human? It is honestly quite
> degrading to have it implied that because I cannot solve this captcha
> that I could be considered a spam account and not a real human being,
> the same human being who is writing this email to you. This issue is
> urgent and must be solved immediately!!!
>

> Someone that is as dedicated to accessibility as your organization
> evidently is should not be making such errors as the one mentioned
> above. There are a few ways in which this can be solved. For instance,
> an audio captcha, or asking a question that we can then answer, proving
> we are human. One more way that I have just contemplated is to use the
> code generator to provide the answer to the captcha. Have a mode in
> which it provides these answers if you are blind and/or visually
> impaired. I'm sure there are other quite inventive ways I haven't yet
> thought of that could be used as well.
>

> This is all to say that something must be done at your soonest
> opportunity to do so. I hope that this is not long languishing in a pile
> that is not urgent or not looked at."

> On 8/31/2018 10:23 PM, Lino Morales wrote:
>>
>> Yes Govsta and it sucks.

>> Windows 10

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Yes, this came up for me last night.

What is the address for accessibility that you wrote your message to? I filed a bug/problem report, but it usually takes them quite some time to even get to those (though in my experience, they actually seem to listen, eventually).

Hello list. It now appears that Facebook is using a new captcha to prove your account isn't spam. It's not the easiest thing in the world to solve captchas at this time. I'm not willing to run an older version of a browser to do so.

Another thing is that Facebook should make this test possible for the blind to pass without much hassle. Has anyone else seen this new test pop up? These things say we're not human because we can't read or solve a picture puzzle. How ridiculous!!!

Danni

I haven't used either of these in quite awhile but both are in my adress book!

accessibility+dzzcpx2@...

accessibility+dzzcpx2@...

What is the address for accessibility that you wrote your message to? I filed a bug/problem report, but it usually takes them quite some time to even get to those (though in my experience, they actually seem to listen, eventually).

Hello list. It now appears that Facebook is using a new captcha to prove your account isn't spam. It's not the easiest thing in the world to solve captchas at this time. I'm not willing to run an older version of a browser to do so.

Another thing is that Facebook should make this test possible for the blind to pass without much hassle. Has anyone else seen this new test pop up? These things say we're not human because we can't read or solve a picture puzzle. How ridiculous!!!

Lino Morales

Well gee Ron I guess you don’t want to be an advocate for the blind then huh? I don’t belong to either crazy blindness org, but I’m only 1 individual blind dude and it doesn’t hurt to contact these tech giants with our concerns regardless of our disability. We need to work with our current admin in the WH like it or lump it.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hello list. It now appears that Facebook is using a new captcha to prove
your account isn't spam. It's not the easiest thing in the world to
solve captchas at this time. I'm not willing to run an older version of
a browser to do so.

Another thing is that Facebook should make this test possible for the
blind to pass without much hassle. Has anyone else seen this new test
pop up? These things say we're not human because we can't read or solve
a picture puzzle. How ridiculous!!!

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Expressing a view that we will have increasingly less ability to get as much done doesn't mean someone won't advocate.  One can advocate, optimist or pessimist.

Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2018 1:26 PM

[...]

Perhaps the ADA should be amended to cover private companies as well...
Though I'm not in the US and so can't really petition Congress, but maybe someone in the US could create an online petition to ask Congress to amend the ADA to cover private companies. This is not about regulating the internet, this is about protecting the rights of people with disabilities.