NVDA PORTABLE

Kerryn Gunness <k_gunness@...>

hi all
i have the latest NVDA as a portable version on a flash drive, when i try to run it on a windows 7 system, it is not working
it is saying windows 7 does not support this version
how is this?
thanks

Antony Stone

Does this Windows 7 machine have Service Pack 1 installed?

I remember that became a requirement for some version of NVDA a while ago, so
it'll still be true for the current version too.

Antony.

--
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no
difference, whereas in practice there is.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Gene

Do you have service pack 1 installed on the Windows machine?  that is necessary.  As far as I know, NVDA still supports machines withService Pack 1.

How important is it for you to run a current version.  While I don't follow what's new in NVDA closely since I have no need of what has been changed, my impression is that for awhile, most changes are to keep the program current and improve accessibility in Windows 10.  Therefore, you might do well running the last version that doesn't require service pack 1 if you can't or don't want to upgrade the machine.

Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2018 9:45 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA PORTABLE

hi all
i have the latest NVDA as a portable version on a flash drive, when i try to run it on a windows 7 system, it is not working
it is saying windows 7 does not support this version
how is this?
thanks

Kerryn Gunness <k_gunness@...>

am not sure, how do one check it

Does this Windows 7 machine have Service Pack 1 installed?

I remember that became a requirement for some version of NVDA a while ago, so
it'll still be true for the current version too.

Antony.

On Saturday 01 September 2018 at 16:45:12, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:

hi all
i have the latest NVDA as a portable version on a flash drive, when i try
to run it on a windows 7 system, it is not working it is saying windows 7
does not support this version
how is this?
thanks
--
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no
difference, whereas in practice there is.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Kerryn Gunness <k_gunness@...>

thanks allot
but how does one no if service pak is there

Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2018 9:45 AM

hi all
i have the latest NVDA as a portable version on a flash drive, when i try to run it on a windows 7 system, it is not working
it is saying windows 7 does not support this version
how is this?
thanks

Antony Stone

Well, since you can't currently run NVDA on the machine, you'll need a sighted
helper to look for you. They need to start from Control Panel and then click
on "System and Security" and then "System".

Under the heading "Windows edition", it'll say which version of Windows 7 is
installed (eg: Home Premium), and underneath that it will say "Service Pack 1"
if it is installed.

Antony.

wrote:
hi all
i have the latest NVDA as a portable version on a flash drive, when i
try to run it on a windows 7 system, it is not working it is saying
windows 7 does not support this version
how is this?
thanks
--
Most people are aware that the Universe is big.

- Paul Davies, Professor of Theoretical Physics

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Hi,

Gene is correct, although I should emphasize that 2018.3 (at least in beta form) will bring more than improved support for Windows 10. Some of the other features include automatic braille display detection, announcing grammar errors in Chrome if exposed by web authors, support for BrailleNote QT (my work), improved list of languages in NVDA’s general settings panel, and a whole bunch of changes for developers.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2018 9:45 AM

hi all

i have the latest NVDA as a portable version on a flash drive, when i try to run it on a windows 7 system, it is not working

it is saying windows 7 does not support this version

how is this?

thanks

hi.
i always follow new features, changes and bug fixes in different
versions of nvda.
i believe nvda since its version 2017.3 and later, has focus on
improving windows ten support, microsoft edge, braille and quantum
versions of firefox which i dont need any of them.
i wished to use 2017.2 which has some important features for me, but
unfortunately it is slow in web browsers, and even two or three times
made my keyboard and explorer unusable and made me to forceably
shutdown my system using power key!
the only version that sutes my needs and i did not experience such
problems on it, both using windows xp (my favorite windows version
forever) and even testing with windows seven, is nvda version 2017.1.

i realy love it, very fast and responsive, without hang or making
keyboard and system unusable and i wish and decided to keep and use
nvda 2017.1 forever by the grace of God!

On 9/1/18, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io <k_gunness=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
thanks joseph

i have the latest NVDA as a portable version on a flash drive, when i try
to run it on a windows 7 system, it is not working

it is saying windows 7 does not support this version

how is this?

thanks

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Is your windows 7 version at least sp1 or is it a very early version?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

i have the latest NVDA as a portable version on a flash drive, when i try to run it on a windows 7 system, it is not working
it is saying windows 7 does not support this version
how is this?
thanks

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I would also add, and this is from my personal experience. The portable version can access mor things when they rerunning in windows 7, than it can when they are on windows 10. This I think has to do with the greater use of UIA on 10, and hence non installed versions of nvda cannot always get access to the data, unless an old way of doing things already exists of course.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

i have the latest NVDA as a portable version on a flash drive, when i try to
run it on a windows 7 system, it is not working

it is saying windows 7 does not support this version

how is this?

thanks

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I do often think that one of the perennial problems for programmers is that of making an optimised version for all situations.
I do agree that browsers like the New Firefox is, in my view a backward step in accessibility, and also nvda though faster in it now than it was is also less fast on older browsers, not all but some.
Only the programmers might know why, but I suspect that decisions have to be made about what version of code is used for a given situation, and here it might be that things get slowed down.

I think it perfectly fair comment if you have limited access to modern versions of Windows, that when you find a working version of NVDA that you stay with it. After all I do still have some XP machines running the older versions and they are quite happy and why worry?

The fact is, time and tech do move on and so making something work is a constant catch up game, since we effectively get a complete new windows every half year, which personally I find ridiculous , but that is a whole other discussion for another place. Myself, just as with XP if it continues to suit my needs and does not die, I shall be using windows 7 until forced to change for my main machine for my charity work as it is after all the years of updates much more reliable than a brand new version of windows 10 every six months can ever be.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

i have the latest NVDA as a portable version on a flash drive, when i try
to run it on a windows 7 system, it is not working

it is saying windows 7 does not support this version

how is this?

thanks

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Kerryn Gunness <k_gunness@...>

not sure
but thanks anyway

i have the latest NVDA as a portable version on a flash drive, when i try to run it on a windows 7 system, it is not working
it is saying windows 7 does not support this version
how is this?
thanks

thanks brian for your reply.
can you please test firefox 52.9 on windows xp and confirm whether its
slow or not using windows xp?

On 9/2/18, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io <k_gunness=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
not sure
but thanks anyway

i have the latest NVDA as a portable version on a flash drive, when i try

to run it on a windows 7 system, it is not working
it is saying windows 7 does not support this version
how is this?
thanks

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Antony Stone

You could alternatively try downloading the last version of NVDA which
supported Windows 7 without Service Pack 1.

a) that should get you working on this machine, albeit with an older version
of NVDA, until you can install SP1, then you can upgrade NVDA

b) you can then check for yourself, without needing sighted help, whether SP1
is installed or not.

You can download that version from:
https://www.nvaccess.org/download/nvda/releases/2017.3/nvda_2017.3.exe

Antony.

thank u antony

On Saturday 01 September 2018 at 16:45:12, Kerryn Gunness wrote:
hi all
i have the latest NVDA as a portable version on a flash drive, when i
try to run it on a windows 7 system, it is not working it is saying
windows 7 does not support this version
how is this?
thanks
--
Schrödinger's rule of data integrity: the condition of any backup is unknown
until a restore is attempted.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Gene

I'm not sure if its slower loading pages.  is slower when you tell the program to run to fully start running.

I don't know if it is slower than versions like 51.x but it's noticeably slower compared with 49.exe in starting to run time.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Gene

I meant to say I'm not sure if its slower loading pages but it is slower starting when you run it.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

I agree its hard.

However with something like a web brouser, it should be able to run anywhere you want without issue.

This is not a specialised program, thunderbird works in quantom mode but I only use email, I know the addons panel doesn't work but I don't need that, it is a bit slower and can be problematic at times.

----- Original Message ----- From: "zahra" <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com>