A bug to repport: NVDA works harder in Windows Explorer for some users.

Hello, two NVDA Romanian community members told me that NVDA works harder in Windows Explorer when opening any type of audio files in Winamp. Specifically, after a file is opened in Winamp, if they want to move back to its folder, NVDA freezes and tells nothing, and they must wait a while to hear things like my music window. Well, I don't think I am so accurate as I want to be, so I'm going to provide you some steps to reproduce this bug:
1. Open a folder with many audio files.
2. Choose a file ramdomly and open it in Winamp.
3. After that, you will be automatically focused on the Winamp's window. Press alt+tab to go back to the folder and NVDA will freeze suddenly.
4. Release the keystroke and wait a while to hear things like folder name window.
Personally, I couldn't reproduce this bug. NVDA's behaviour is normal in my case. What could be the problem?Hello, two NVDA Romanian community members told me that NVDA works harder in Windows Explorer when opening any type of audio files in Winamp. Specifically, after a file is opened in Winamp, if they want to move back to its folder, NVDA freezes and tells nothing, and they must wait a while to hear things like my music window. Well, I don't think I am so accurate as I want to be, so I'm going to provide you some steps to reproduce this bug:
3. After that, you will be automatically focused on the Winamp's window. Press alt+tab to go back to the folder and NVDA will freeze suddenly.
4. Release the keystroke and wait a while to hear things like folder name window.
Personally, I couldn't reproduce this bug. NVDA's behaviour is normal in my case. What could be the problem?

Gene

Is this only in Windows 10?  If so, are you using that version?  If the users are having a problem and are using different versions of Windows, do you know what they are?

This sounds to me like a Windows 10 problem when used with NVDA.  Perhaps it's the same sort of problem that has been discussed in other contexts when NVDA is used with Windows 10. 

As a work around, perhaps opening Winamp manually, then while it is opened, go back to the files list and play the files.  Perhaps if the player is already opened, the problem may be avoided.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2018 1:12 PM
Subject: [nvda] A bug to repport: NVDA works harder in Windows Explorer for some users.

Hello, two NVDA Romanian community members told me that NVDA works harder in Windows Explorer when opening any type of audio files in Winamp. Specifically, after a file is opened in Winamp, if they want to move back to its folder, NVDA freezes and tells nothing, and they must wait a while to hear things like my music window. Well, I don't think I am so accurate as I want to be, so I'm going to provide you some steps to reproduce this bug:
Personally, I couldn't reproduce this bug. NVDA's behaviour is normal in my case. What could be the problem?Hello, two NVDA Romanian community members told me that NVDA works harder in Windows Explorer when opening any type of audio files in Winamp. Specifically, after a file is opened in Winamp, if they want to move back to its folder, NVDA freezes and tells nothing, and they must wait a while to hear things like my music window. Well, I don't think I am so accurate as I want to be, so I'm going to provide you some steps to reproduce this bug:
Personally, I couldn't reproduce this bug. NVDA's behaviour is normal in my case. What could be the problem?

Yeah, I'm using Windows 10. I know only one of them as a Windows 10 user.

Gene

Are you saying you don't know what the other person uses?  If you don't know, will you let us know?

Gene

Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2018 3:35 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] A bug to repport: NVDA works harder in Windows Explorer for some users.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

What they need to do I think is firstly find out the build number of their windows. Make sure all add ons are off in nvda.
Set debug as the logging level in the prefs.
Now try the problem, and when things return to normal, restart nvda and start the run box.
type%temp% and enter. In that folder should be the old nvda log, renamed with old in the name!!
Get that into a text editor and have a look at it around the time when the problem happened. Hint its more likely to be near the end as you restarted nvda.
It might show that there is watchdog activity, and phrases like frozen in stack etc. If they then make an account on github, and follow the links to new issue in the nvda section there is a template to fill out and you can either paste in the text file or upload it to the site
If they would rather let you post it here, then do so, but we do need to know the details of the machines and the version of windows in use as there are people here who will know the foibles of each version and probably ve able to guess what might be going on.
I have to say I've had little issues with Winamp in windows 7 and am not totally convinced the lock up etc is completely due to the task switching either, unless there is a lot of animation going on somewhere that needs to be stopped.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2018 9:35 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] A bug to repport: NVDA works harder in Windows Explorer for some users.

Alexander Masic

In my opinion the delelopers should not put resourses to fix something for a webbrowser wich is all most near to be faced out. So how would if you who complain instead should tart using Firefox instead? Very good webbrowser and accessible.

Den 2018-09-01 kl. 22:35, skrev Florian Ionașcu:

Antony Stone

Windows Explorer is not the same as Internet Explorer.

Antony.

On Sunday 02 September 2018 at 12:47:50, Alexander Masic wrote:

In my opinion the delelopers should not put resourses to fix something
for a webbrowser wich is all most near to be faced out. So how would if
you who complain instead should tart using Firefox instead? Very good
webbrowser and accessible.

--
Atheism is a non-prophet-making organisation.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Kwork

Different program here. People are talking about Windows Explorer, now called file browser on Windows 10. You are referring to Internet Explorer, which is not actually being talked about here, so the Firefox comparison is invalid.

Travis

On 9/2/2018 3:47 AM, Alexander Masic wrote:

In my opinion the delelopers should not put resourses to fix something for a webbrowser wich is all most near to be faced out. So how would if you who complain instead should tart using Firefox instead? Very good webbrowser and accessible.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well I think often the issue is one of the routines in IE are used by other parts of the windows system, so although the browser is old and Edge is being used for more modern html in 10, many third party applications depend on those older routines.

However I would say that if the issues are occurring in windows explorer, ie the file browser then that is a whole other case to consider and the basis often runs into a number of things. Animations not turned off in windows and apps
Idle speed of the processor in windows set too low
Programs that do not terminate correctly and stay running when you go to another part of windows. A look at processes and application use of the processor in task manager or the system resources nvda add on can be instructive.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2018 11:47 AM

In my opinion the delelopers should not put resourses to fix something
for a webbrowser wich is all most near to be faced out. So how would if
you who complain instead should tart using Firefox instead? Very good
webbrowser and accessible.

Hello Jene! As I said in my previews message, I don't know what version of Windows is being used by the second user. I'll let you know when I'll find out.