A bug to repport: NVDA works harder in Windows Explorer for some users.

Hello, two NVDA Romanian community members told me that NVDA works harder in Windows Explorer when opening any type of audio files in Winamp. Specifically, after a file is opened in Winamp, if they want to move back to its folder, NVDA freezes and tells nothing, and they must wait a while to hear things like my music window. Well, I don't think I am so accurate as I want to be, so I'm going to provide you some steps to reproduce this bug:
1. Open a folder with many audio files.
2. Choose a file ramdomly and open it in Winamp.
3. After that, you will be automatically focused on the Winamp's window. Press alt+tab to go back to the folder and NVDA will freeze suddenly.
4. Release the keystroke and wait a while to hear things like folder name window.
Personally, I couldn't reproduce this bug. NVDA's behaviour is normal in my case. What could be the problem?Hello, two NVDA Romanian community members told me that NVDA works harder in Windows Explorer when opening any type of audio files in Winamp. Specifically, after a file is opened in Winamp, if they want to move back to its folder, NVDA freezes and tells nothing, and they must wait a while to hear things like my music window. Well, I don't think I am so accurate as I want to be, so I'm going to provide you some steps to reproduce this bug:
1. Open a folder with many audio files.
2. Choose a file ramdomly and open it in Winamp.
3. After that, you will be automatically focused on the Winamp's window. Press alt+tab to go back to the folder and NVDA will freeze suddenly.
4. Release the keystroke and wait a while to hear things like folder name window.
Personally, I couldn't reproduce this bug. NVDA's behaviour is normal in my case. What could be the problem?

Gene

Is this only in Windows 10?  If so, are you using that version?  If the users are having a problem and are using different versions of Windows, do you know what they are?

This sounds to me like a Windows 10 problem when used with NVDA.  Perhaps it's the same sort of problem that has been discussed in other contexts when NVDA is used with Windows 10.

As a work around, perhaps opening Winamp manually, then while it is opened, go back to the files list and play the files.  Perhaps if the player is already opened, the problem may be avoided.

Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2018 1:12 PM
Subject: [nvda] A bug to repport: NVDA works harder in Windows Explorer for some users.

[...]

Yeah, I'm using Windows 10. I know only one of them as a Windows 10 user.

Gene

Are you saying you don't know what the other person uses?  If you don't know, will you let us know?

Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2018 3:35 PM

Yeah, I'm using Windows 10. I know only one of them as a Windows 10 user.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

What they need to do I think is firstly find out the build number of their windows. Make sure all add ons are off in nvda.
Set debug as the logging level in the prefs.
Now try the problem, and when things return to normal, restart nvda and start the run box.
type%temp% and enter. In that folder should be the old nvda log, renamed with old in the name!!
Get that into a text editor and have a look at it around the time when the problem happened. Hint its more likely to be near the end as you restarted nvda.
It might show that there is watchdog activity, and phrases like frozen in stack etc. If they then make an account on github, and follow the links to new issue in the nvda section there is a template to fill out and you can either paste in the text file or upload it to the site
If they would rather let you post it here, then do so, but we do need to know the details of the machines and the version of windows in use as there are people here who will know the foibles of each version and probably ve able to guess what might be going on.
I have to say I've had little issues with Winamp in windows 7 and am not totally convinced the lock up etc is completely due to the task switching either, unless there is a lot of animation going on somewhere that needs to be stopped.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-