dealing with Pins on the Windows 10 start

Hello,
Does anyone understand how pins work in Windows 10?
I removed all the junk in hopes that fewer items would make things clearer, but it didn't I pinned a couple things to the start and in order to get to them I need to hit right arrow once and down arrow all the way to the bottom when they should be just down.
Apparently there are folders but I can't understand how they work.
Any help would be great because I would like to start using the start menu.
Thanks,

Louis Maher <ljmaher@...>

Hello Brandon,

I find it easier to place application shortcuts on the desktop.  This is a two-step process.  Hit the windows key, type in the application name, hit the context menu, find file location and enter on it, hit the context menu and go to the send-to menu.  Hit the desktop option.  Hit windows m to bring you to the desktop, type the first letter of the application, and you will land on it.  Note that on the desktop, once you find a and select  application, you can hit f2 and change the shortcut’s name.

Regards

Louis Maher

Phone: 713-444-7838

Does anyone understand how pins work in Windows 10?

I removed all the junk in hopes that fewer items would make things clearer, but it didn't I pinned a couple things to the start and in order to get to them I need to hit right arrow once and down arrow all the way to the bottom when they should be just down.

Apparently there are folders but I can't understand how they work.

Any help would be great because I would like to start using the start menu.

Thanks,

Gene

Once you put a shortcut on the desktop, if you are going to use the application often, why not assign a shortcut command?  In future, you don't have to go to the desktop and move to the shortcut.  You can open the application from almost anywhere just by issuing one command.

Does anyone understand how pins work in Windows 10?

I removed all the junk in hopes that fewer items would make things clearer, but it didn't I pinned a couple things to the start and in order to get to them I need to hit right arrow once and down arrow all the way to the bottom when they should be just down.

Apparently there are folders but I can't understand how they work.

Any help would be great because I would like to start using the start menu.

Thanks,

Louis Maher <ljmaher@...>

Hi Gene,

I have problems keeping track of all the screen reader and Windows short-cuts. Of course, if this works for people, they have that option.

Regards

Louis Maher

Phone: 713-444-7838

Once you put a shortcut on the desktop, if you are going to use the application often, why not assign a shortcut command?  In future, you don't have to go to the desktop and move to the shortcut.  You can open the application from almost anywhere just by issuing one command.

Does anyone understand how pins work in Windows 10?

I removed all the junk in hopes that fewer items would make things clearer, but it didn't I pinned a couple things to the start and in order to get to them I need to hit right arrow once and down arrow all the way to the bottom when they should be just down.

Apparently there are folders but I can't understand how they work.

Any help would be great because I would like to start using the start menu.

Thanks,

Hello,
The reason why one uses the start menu is so you don't need to open apps to do things like your calendar, whether, news and stocks. you just arrow over those items and you hear what they are.
Thanks,

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 5:40 AM, Louis Maher <ljmaher@...> wrote:

[...]

But you can define your own shortcuts when you create a short cut key.  Control alt f could be used for Firefox.  Control alt w could be used for Windows Live Mail if that is your e-mail program.

My point is that you can use the first letter of the name of the program and that might make remembering the command easy.  Also, you don't have to create a lot of commands for programs if you don't want to.  If you have three or four programs you open a lot more than others, you would only have those commands to remember.

Once you put a shortcut on the desktop, if you are going to use the application often, why not assign a shortcut command?  In future, you don't have to go to the desktop and move to the shortcut.  You can open the application from almost anywhere just by issuing one command.

Does anyone understand how pins work in Windows 10?

I removed all the junk in hopes that fewer items would make things clearer, but it didn't I pinned a couple things to the start and in order to get to them I need to hit right arrow once and down arrow all the way to the bottom when they should be just down.

Apparently there are folders but I can't understand how they work.

Any help would be great because I would like to start using the start menu.

Thanks,

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...>

Wow! This sounds like a way less complicated to putting stuff on the desktop then Brian Vogal suggested. Thanks sir.

On 8/20/2016 8:40 AM, Louis Maher wrote:

[...]

Arlene

Just as you would when you used windows 7? If I hit start menue. Then outlook it comes up.

Once you put a shortcut on the desktop, if you are going to use the application often, why not assign a shortcut command?  In future, you don't have to go to the desktop and move to the shortcut.  You can open the application from almost anywhere just by issuing one command.

Does anyone understand how pins work in Windows 10?

I removed all the junk in hopes that fewer items would make things clearer, but it didn't I pinned a couple things to the start and in order to get to them I need to hit right arrow once and down arrow all the way to the bottom when they should be just down.

Apparently there are folders but I can't understand how they work.

Any help would be great because I would like to start using the start menu.

Thanks,

Arlene

Oh, it’s the same idea as you would with older versions of windows? So, ten is no different?

Does anyone understand how pins work in Windows 10?

I removed all the junk in hopes that fewer items would make things clearer, but it didn't I pinned a couple things to the start and in order to get to them I need to hit right arrow once and down arrow all the way to the bottom when they should be just down.

Apparently there are folders but I can't understand how they work.

Any help would be great because I would like to start using the start menu.

Thanks,

Louis Maher <ljmaher@...>

Hello Arlene,

That is correct.  The process of creating desktop shortcuts has two steps; however, after that, it acts like earlier versions of windows.  Just remember windows + m takes you to the desktop.

Regards

Louis Maher

Phone: 713-444-7838

Oh, it’s the same idea as you would with older versions of windows? So, ten is no different?

Does anyone understand how pins work in Windows 10?

I removed all the junk in hopes that fewer items would make things clearer, but it didn't I pinned a couple things to the start and in order to get to them I need to hit right arrow once and down arrow all the way to the bottom when they should be just down.

Apparently there are folders but I can't understand how they work.

Any help would be great because I would like to start using the start menu.

Thanks,

Arlene

I’ve always hit windows M to get to the desktop. There I have a bunch of icons like outlook and others. I assume ten is the same.

Oh, it’s the same idea as you would with older versions of windows? So, ten is no different?

Does anyone understand how pins work in Windows 10?

I removed all the junk in hopes that fewer items would make things clearer, but it didn't I pinned a couple things to the start and in order to get to them I need to hit right arrow once and down arrow all the way to the bottom when they should be just down.

Apparently there are folders but I can't understand how they work.

Any help would be great because I would like to start using the start menu.

Thanks,

jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Haha, a fun one! First, and apologies to those who may disagree, but it seems to me that currently, the Start menu on 10 with NVDA is slightly less than pleasant to use. :)
I've changed mine up now, I got tired of how crappy it was working for me so I took all the stuff out of the pinned apps area so it no longer shows up, but this is what I was able to figure out.

When you first press the start button and it lands you in the search box, you can press tab, either once or twice and it should take you to a vertical list containing a fairly large number of apps and some of their associated folders. As you arrow up and down here, NVDA will first read the section you come to, so A, B, etc and then under those, read you apps that fall under those sections. As you probably already know, it's here that you can press the applications key and pin said apps to the start menu.

As for the area where Apps actually get pinned, it looks like shift tab is what you want, so doing it from the search box should land you there. It's here that you should be able to use the arrow keys to move up, down, left and right in the grid, but unfortunately, NVDA seems to read things here all weird. As something that looks similar to how IOS likes to create named directories based on the names of the stuff you put in them, as you're moving around here, you'll come to these named sections and can press enter to rename them. As you're moving around here, you'll land on these sections, lets say, Audio and Music just as an example and can sometimes press down or wright and it will start reading you the pinned apps under that section. If you happen to only have one or two things here though, It's sometimes hard to get it to land where you want on the icon or whatever.

I've wondered if it's possible to turn off the structuring of the apps you pin here and just have them in a huge grid, but if so, I've not figured it out.
I'm also not sure if this is something that NVDA just hasn't caught up with and if there are things in the pipe down the road that will make it more friendly, but so far, it is kind of a pain to use. haha

If you play with it though and figure out anything else, I'd certainly be interested.
Take care.

On 8/20/2016 10:17 AM, Brandon Keith Biggs wrote:
[...]

I think I figured it out.
The top row is folders and under that is a grid of everything in those folders. The problem is that grid is really strangely shaped and if you press an arrow key you may jump to another folder. Nice thing is it will announce the new folder, but that is also what makes it so confusing.

*Note* windows + d also takes you to the desktop like windows + m does, you only need to use one hand though. I've never understood why they teach windows + m when windows + d is easier to do and remember.
Thanks,

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 10:10 PM, Jeremy <icu8it2@...> wrote:
[...]

Chris Mullins

I too have never understood why Jaws tutorials in particular promote the use of Windows+m to move focus to the Desktop as this keypress minimises all open apps before it moves focus.  Windows+d is easier to remember and moves focus without minimising everything.  In addition you can use windows+d to have a peek at the contents of the desktop, pressing it again takes you back to where you were.

Cheers

Chris

Does anyone understand how pins work in Windows 10?

I removed all the junk in hopes that fewer items would make things clearer, but it didn't I pinned a couple things to the start and in order to get to them I need to hit right arrow once and down arrow all the way to the bottom when they should be just down.

Apparently there are folders but I can't understand how they work.

Any help would be great because I would like to start using the start menu.

Thanks,

Arlene

Oh! it sounds like it looks more like apple! Cause on the I devices the apps look like they are in a grid.

Does anyone understand how pins work in Windows 10?

I removed all the junk in hopes that fewer items would make things clearer, but it didn't I pinned a couple things to the start and in order to get to them I need to hit right arrow once and down arrow all the way to the bottom when they should be just down.

Apparently there are folders but I can't understand how they work.

Any help would be great because I would like to start using the start menu.

Thanks,

jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Having just enough vision to make an uncluttered desktop with a dark screen useful, I honestly prefer windows plus m as it's an easy way to clear up the display and take everything back down to the taskbar, where I can reach it when I want to.
I guess it'd  also be in how one first learned to use Windows, but visually, having everything minimized with one quick shortcut while also returning to the desktop always worked better for me.
Suppose the same could be said for using the taskbar to get to applications and such that you'd been using, compared to using alt plus tab to cycle through the different windows until you found the one you want. for me, alt tab works well if I only have two or so windows I want to toggle back and fourth through, say for moving files from one place to another, but for those folks who may have 10 plus windows up and going, no thanks.

One other thing to maybe consider, which certainly doesn't apply to everyone but is a pretty big deal to me is the amount of light that comes off my display if I have it full of nice bright windows. I find it much easier on my eyes to keep not only my background darker but to also keep my windows sized down a bit more, as to not generate as much brightness, especially if my eyes happen to be bothering me.

I find that it's a decent balance, keeping my computer easier on my own vision, yet it doesn't have a huge affect if someone like my wife needs to use it, for whatever reason. This is where having options like screen curtain, the ability to totally black or white out the display kinda fail, but in those situations where you don't have any need on using the display or you know that no one will be needing to read it, then they work well.
Take care.

On 8/21/2016 6:04 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:

[...]

Christo Vorster

Hi

There is method in the madness of teaching Windows+M and Windows+d.

Windows+D maximize the desktop while Windows+M minimize it.

I have found that installing Classic Shell is a great help. This make Win10 look like win7.

By the way, Classic Shell is free.

Regards

Christo Vorster (Worcester South Africa)

Does anyone understand how pins work in Windows 10?

I removed all the junk in hopes that fewer items would make things clearer, but it didn't I pinned a couple things to the start and in order to get to them I need to hit right arrow once and down arrow all the way to the bottom when they should be just down.

Apparently there are folders but I can't understand how they work.

Any help would be great because I would like to start using the start menu.

Thanks,

Arlene

Hi, Where do you get classic shell? I’m asking this shell I end up getting windows ten.

Does anyone understand how pins work in Windows 10?

I removed all the junk in hopes that fewer items would make things clearer, but it didn't I pinned a couple things to the start and in order to get to them I need to hit right arrow once and down arrow all the way to the bottom when they should be just down.

Apparently there are folders but I can't understand how they work.

Any help would be great because I would like to start using the start menu.

Thanks,

Jacob Kruger

http://www.classicshell.net/

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
On 2016-08-22 7:21 AM, Arlene wrote:

Hi, Where do you get classic shell? I’m asking this shell I end up getting windows ten.

Does anyone understand how pins work in Windows 10?

I removed all the junk in hopes that fewer items would make things clearer, but it didn't I pinned a couple things to the start and in order to get to them I need to hit right arrow once and down arrow all the way to the bottom when they should be just down.

Apparently there are folders but I can't understand how they work.

Any help would be great because I would like to start using the start menu.

Thanks,

Christo Vorster

Hi Arlene

You can probably find the exact link through a Google Search. I am not quite sure, but if you don’t find it, contact me of list and I can mail it, the setup file i mean, to you.

My personal address is Christo.vorster@....

Have a nice day.