How to do post-production work in audacity class exercises are now available.

derek riemer

yesterday I mentioned the course to teach potential NVDACon editors how to edit audio, in hopes of getting people interested in helping with post-production of the NVDACon sessions. If you are interested in challenge problems and exercises that are encouraged for those learning audio editing, you can download them at files.derekriemer.com/audacity_editing_class.exe.

Note that this is simply a 7zip self-extracting archive. If you are weary of running executables, you can install 7zip, and unpack the archive from this link (It's the exact same files, just not self-extracting). files.derekriemer.com/audacity_editing_class.7z

Also, under this folder is challenge.wav. This is the audio of the class I ran on teamtalk today. It is unedited, so that you can practice making a post-production ready audio file. In order to compress to mp3 in audacity, you need to install the laime library for MP3 encoding. This is clearly documented on the audacity website http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Lame_Installation

--
Once upon a time, I had a signature. One day, my signature disappeared. The end.

I'd like to get these files. It appears that the link doesn't work.

On 8/21/2016 12:51 AM, derek riemer wrote:
[...]

What error do you get?

On 8/20/2016 11:14 PM, Governor staten wrote:
[...]

  • Department of computer science, third year undergraduate student.
  • Proud user of the NVDA screen reader.
  • Open source enthusiast.
  • Member of Bridge Cu
  • Avid skiier.

Websites:
Honors portfolio
Awesome little hand built weather app!

email me at derek.riemer@...
Phone: (303) 906-2194

Gene

If a link doesn't work, look at it character by character.  If you copied the link to the address bar in your browser, you probably copied the period that ended the sentence immediately after the link.  Copy the link to the address bar, move to the end with the end command, back space once to remove the period, then follow the link.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2016 1:51 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] How to do post-production work in audacity class exercises are now available.

[...]

I looked character by character. I deleted the period from the end and any trailing spaces at the end as well. I get an error 404 not found. This is the link to the self extracting executable. I haven't tried the other link yet.

Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2016 1:51 AM

[...]

It works here. I don't know why you are having a problem.

Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2016 10:49 AM

Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2016 1:51 AM

[...]

The Gamages

you need to type http:\\ before the address if it’s not already there in your browser.

Best Regards, Jim.

It works here. I don't know why you are having a problem.

Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2016 10:49 AM

Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2016 1:51 AM

[...]

mailto:derek.riemer@...
Phone: (303) 906-2194

Thanks Jim! Chalk it up as a lapse of thinking for me. :)

Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2016 10:49 AM

Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2016 1:51 AM

[...]

Hi,

If anyone typed http:// before, did it work? It should have redirected to https if so. If anyone got an error with simply http in there, please let me know, because my server has hsts set, so that means I can't connect to it insecurely because my browser won't, and anyone's browser won't after their first visit to my site.

Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2016 10:49 AM

Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2016 1:51 AM

[...]

What is the full address?  It should not be necessary in modern browsers to type http://www. or http:// and then the address.  I haven't tried using a colon but I doubt that will help.  Yesterday, I cut and pasted the link into firefox as written, and I was able to follow it after removing the period.  But when giving links, people should give the full link.  Whatever it is http:// then the link or http://www. followed by the link.

Browsers won't see a link with no prefix as a link.  It can't be clicked on.  It must be pasted into a browser.  And it may be, I don't know, that under certain conditions, a link with no prefix cannot be followed when pasted as is into a browser.

The correct link in this case is:

Note that just placing a colon before the link is not correct.  :// is the correct syntax.  Also, there is no www. in this linik.

If people don't have their screen-readers set to read punctuation, the various ways I've written for the beginnings of links should be read character by character to make sure no punctuation is missed.

Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2016 10:49 AM

Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2016 1:51 AM

[...]

jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Yep, the link worked fine for me also. Once I'd copied it, I just had to remove the space at the end I think and it took me straight to the download. Worked like a charm.

Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2016 10:49 AM

Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2016 1:51 AM

[...]

Adrián Mena

Thank you for the great material, are we going to get more of this,
where can we learn more?
Thank you.

http://files.derekriemer.com/audacity_editing_class.exe
[...]

Honors portfolio <http://derekriemer.com>
Awesome little hand built weather app!
<http://django.derekriemer.com/weather/>

mailto:derek.riemer@...
Phone: (303) 906-2194

Derek Riemer

* Department of computer science, third year undergraduate student.
* Proud user of the NVDA screen reader.
* Open source enthusiast.
* Member of Bridge Cu
* Avid skiier.