FireFox Issues Discussion

David Russell

Hello Group,

OK, I have learned a couple things since posting eight or so hours ago.

- I have FF 52. I now get one of those Do you want to allow FireFox to
install .... when going into use Mozilla FireFox, tab to the no answer
and it allows me to conduct business as usual. I can live with that.

- I also saw Davy's notice about what the update concerns, but am
reluctant to accept it because of what occurred before and was
generally described in previous posts.
- I was able to do my work and other ordinary routine today without
too much hassle.
- I have three versions of NVDA on my computer, but not sure how to
tell which is the latest working one. I use a desktop not a laptop
computer.
- I set Security Essentials to do a full scan and spyware check during
my breakfast time Friday and the computer does not have to be on for
that to occur.
Thus for now, going to leave things as they are until a better doable
resolution comes along. I have some major projects forthcoming, and
cannot afford to have my computer disabled.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...

Brian's Mail list account

Yes that is exactly why I am still using windows 7 and have waterfox on it. I do still have firefox 52, but as of the end of August no security updates are being offered for that version.

Waterfox is 64 bit only, so no good on 32 bit versions of windows.

To me as long as you do not have anyone is click happy on your machine and scan it regularly and do not visited dodgy sites anything more threatening than tracking cookies or maybe bundled rubbishware are unlikely.
Be mindful of the discussion about Ccleaner only being safe in its portable guise though.
You may find that soon many web sites may not work well with the older Firefox, needing Chrome based, Edge based or Quantum based browsers. This might affect Waterfox, but may not if they spoof the data it sends to the web site to pretend to be a later version of firefox.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Gene

It's not as safe as you think, using your safety list and using browsers that aren't being updated.  If you block or turn off JAVA scripts, it's a lot safer than if you don't but when you use a reputable site with scripts unblocked, as you need to for many sites to work properly or to use features you may want to use on them, there is more risk than you think.  I don't know how much and I'm not saying whether it's a reasonable risk, but it is more than you think.  It isn't as reduced necessarily as blocking scripts but it is a significant reduction, perhaps close to the same level but I'm not sure.  Is it reduced to a reasonable risk when you block scripts and/or use an ad blocker?  I'll let others comment on that.  But my point is that you appear to believe your safety practices render you safe and you don't talk about things to do to protect yourself further that go beyond using reputable web sites which, as you will see, doesn't  make you as safe as you think.  People keep on saying in such discussions that following safe practices is most of what you need to do.  It isn't as you will see from the following articles:

See the first article for a discussion about malvertising, as it is called.
See the second for a discussion of the pros and cons of ad blockers.

> OK, I have learned a couple things since posting eight or so hours ago.
>
> - I have FF 52. I now get one of those Do you want to allow FireFox to
> install .... when going into use Mozilla FireFox, tab to the no answer
> and it allows me to conduct business as usual. I can live with that.
>
> - I also saw Davy's notice about what the update concerns, but am
> reluctant to accept it because of what occurred before and was
> generally described in previous posts.
> - I was able to do my work and other ordinary routine today without
> too much hassle.
> - I have three versions of NVDA on my computer, but not sure how to
> tell which is the latest working one. I use a desktop not a laptop
> computer.
> - I set Security Essentials to do a full scan and spyware check during
> my breakfast time Friday and the computer does not have to be on for
> that to occur.
> Thus for now, going to leave things as they are until a better doable
> resolution comes along. I have some major projects forthcoming, and
> cannot afford to have my computer disabled.
>
> --
> David Russell
> david.sonofhashem@...

Kerryn Gunness <k_gunness@...>

thanks all, but when i go to tools then options in ff
i am not seeing the option to turn off updates
could u all tell me whare it is found?
thanks

[...]

Brice Mijares

tools, to options, advance, tab twice, arrow up or down to updates.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <bglists@...>
[...]

in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Russell" <david.sonofhashem@...>
[...]

Roger Stewart

On a related topic, I've been using the No Script add on for Firefox for several years now. It used to be very accessible in that all you need do is hit the context key and then you find the No Script submenue and choose your option of block the site, temporarily allow the site or trust it.  I noticed the other day I needed to unblock a site but the interface to No Script has changed so radically that I can't understand it at all.  Seems to be some kind of table or something with lots of weird sounding items in there and I have no idea of how to use it with NVDA now. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Roger

On 9/7/2018 7:17 AM, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

.

Gene

What version of Firefox are you asking about?  The options dialog was changed when Quantum was released.  if you are still using version 52ESR, the instructions are very different.

If you are using version 52.ESR, open tools, then options.
Tab once to get into a list of categories.
Down arrow seven or eight times to advanced.  If you get stuck and can't move beyond a certain category, up arrow once then start down arrowing again.
Once you are at advanced, tab two or three times to general.
Right arrow until you get to updates.
Tab through and look at the options.
The option about determining how the browser will handle updating is a list of radio buttons.
After you set it, there is no ok button.  Changes take immediate effect.  This is actually a web page like interface that looks like a dialog.  So do whatever you want as though you were on a web page and want to go to another page, shut down the browser, whatever you might do while on a web page to leave it and close the browser or do something else with it.

Gene

> Yes that is exactly why I am still using windows 7 and have waterfox on
> it. I do still have firefox 52, but as of the end of August no security
> updates are being offered for that version.
>
> Waterfox is 64 bit only, so no good on 32 bit versions of windows.
>
> To me as long as you do not have anyone is click happy on your machine and
> scan it regularly and do not visited dodgy sites anything more threatening
> than tracking cookies or maybe bundled rubbishware are unlikely.
> Be mindful of the discussion about Ccleaner only being safe in its
> portable guise though.
> You may find that soon many web sites may not work well with the older
> Firefox, needing Chrome based, Edge based or Quantum based browsers. This
> might affect Waterfox, but may not if they spoof the data it sends to the
> web site to pretend to be a later version of firefox.
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

Kerryn Gunness <k_gunness@...>

thank you

> Yes that is exactly why I am still using windows 7 and have waterfox on
> it. I do still have firefox 52, but as of the end of August no security
> updates are being offered for that version.
>
> Waterfox is 64 bit only, so no good on 32 bit versions of windows.
>
> To me as long as you do not have anyone is click happy on your machine and
> scan it regularly and do not visited dodgy sites anything more threatening
> than tracking cookies or maybe bundled rubbishware are unlikely.
> Be mindful of the discussion about Ccleaner only being safe in its
> portable guise though.
> You may find that soon many web sites may not work well with the older
> Firefox, needing Chrome based, Edge based or Quantum based browsers. This
> might affect Waterfox, but may not if they spoof the data it sends to the
> web site to pretend to be a later version of firefox.
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

To be honest quantom took away a lot of the accessible menus you could click to, its why I still use noscript 5x on waterfox.

There are new constraints such that a lot of standard windows things like registry access just can't be used, sadly I think that means context menus to.

On 9/8/2018 2:45 AM, Roger Stewart wrote:
[...]

John Isige

Noscript works fine in quantum now. You pick it and have to wait like a second because the stuff that used to be in a submenu comes up kind of as part of the web page. So you right click, pick noscript, then I usually just arrow up or do ctrl-home, and you get to stuff that shows up as links and radio buttons and the like.

On 9/7/2018 18:24, Shaun Everiss wrote:
To be honest quantom took away a lot of the accessible menus you > could click to, its why I still use noscript 5x on waterfox. > >
There are new constraints such that a lot of standard windows things > like registry access just can't be used, sadly I think that means > context menus to. > > > > On 9/8/2018 2:45 AM, Roger Stewart wrote: >> On a related topic, I've been using the No Script add on for >> Firefox for several years now. It used to be very accessible in >> that all you need do is hit the context key and then you find the >> No Script submenue and choose your option of block the site, >> temporarily allow the site or trust it. I noticed the other day I >> needed to unblock a site but the interface to No Script has changed >> so radically that I can't understand it at all. Seems to be some >> kind of table or something with lots of weird sounding items in >> there and I have no idea of how to use it with NVDA now. Can anyone >> help? >> >> Thanks.
Roger >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> On 9/7/2018 7:17
AM, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote: >>> thanks all, but when i go to tools then options in ff i am not >>> seeing the option to turn off updates could u all tell me whare >>> it is found? thanks ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian's >>> Mail list account via Groups.Io" >>> <bglists@...> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> >>> Sent: Friday, September 07, 2018 2:29 AM Subject: Re: [nvda] >>> FireFox Issues Discussion >>> >>> >>>> Yes that is exactly why I am still using windows 7 and have >>>> waterfox on it. I do still have firefox 52, but as of the end >>>> of August no security updates are being offered for that >>>> version. >>>> >>>> Waterfox is 64 bit only, so no good on 32 bit versions of >>>> windows. >>>> >>>> To me as long as you do not have anyone is click happy on your >>>> machine and scan it regularly and do not visited dodgy sites >>>> anything more threatening than tracking cookies or maybe >>>> bundled rubbishware are unlikely. Be mindful of the discussion >>>> about Ccleaner only being safe in its portable guise though. >>>> You may find that soon many web sites may not work well with >>>> the older Firefox, needing Chrome based, Edge based or Quantum
later version of firefox. Brian >>>> >>>> bglists@... Sent via blueyonder. Please address >>>> personal E-mail to:- briang1@..., putting 'Brian >>>> Gaff' in the display name field. ----- Original Message ----- >>>> From: "David Russell" <david.sonofhashem@...> To: "nvda" >>>> <nvda@nvda.groups.io> Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 10:26 >>>> PM Subject: [nvda] FireFox Issues Discussion >>>> >>>> >>>>> Hello Group, >>>>> >>>>> OK, I have learned a couple things since posting eight or so >>>>> hours ago. >>>>>
[...]
. >>> >> >> >> >> >> . >> > >

hi brian.
i believe that firefox is the only browser that by the grace of God,
works with websites, even if i use its many old versions!
last week, i downloaded and tested firefox 3.6 and i could open any
site that i use, i even could open my gmail and read emails, send new
emails!
firefox 3.6 i believe is for 2008 or 2009!

Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 10:26 >>>> PM Subject: [nvda] FireFox

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

hi gene.
i believe that the only advantage of google chrome over firefox is
customization for using javascript natively without using any addons.
i can disable javascript entirely and add some rare websites that
realy need it and dont work without it as an exception for allowing to
run javascript.

Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 10:26 >>>> PM Subject: [nvda] FireFox

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali
--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Gene

You don't need add ons to turn off JAVA scripts in firefox.  If you use XP, neither Firefox nor Chrome are being updated for XP so they are both insecure and are growing more insecure over time.  When I said people should use Chrome if they don't get good results with Quantum, I wasn't addressing XP users because you can't use current versions of either browser in Windows XP and the last version of Firefox, if you are using version 52, is more current than the last version of Chrome that runs in XP.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

John Isige

I should update my comments about noscript. The one issue I've noticed with it is that you can't identify sites, at least I can't anyway. So for example, suppose I'm on a site and pick noscript. I get to the top and start going down the page, and I get an untrusted radio button, a temp trusted radio button, and so on. When I get through all of the stuff for one site, if I keep going down I get another untrusted radio button, and so on. So I know that's for a different site, but I haven't seen a way to find out what all of the sites are that it wants to have permissions for. To be fair though, I haven't really done a lot of looking around to find out if they show up. So if anybody figures it out, do let us all know.

the last version of chrome which supports windows xp is version 49
which is for februrary oof 2016!
i use it, but it cant open some computer websites unfortunately!
also, i mean that firefox needs addon for javascript for making exception.
for example: i wish to turn off javascript for all websites, but allow
it only for four sites!
how can i do this in firefox without installing addon?

[...]

You can't do it in Firefox without using an add-on.  You can in Chrome.  I'll have to take notes before I write the steps.  I assume you want to know.  If you don't, let me know.  If I don't hear from you, I'll make notes and sent instructions.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

i learned how to do this in chrome and i believe that making exception
for running javascript in chrome without addon, is only advantage of
chrome over firefox!
but in newer version of chrome, using its settings unfortunately is
difficult, because google chrome settings is changed since version 59
and became material and fortunately i dont use it!
my selection is chrome 48 or 49 which support windows xp.

On 9/8/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

The settings interface has been changed in newer versions of Chrome.  I have worked with the new interface a little to get a sense of how useable it is.  It is not well implemented for a blind keyboard user in some places in terms of seeing how to use it without experimentation.  But it can be used and, once you have instruction, it isn't difficult, just not intuitive, in certain places.