Topics

A better interface to working with chrome - opera

Jacob Kruger

While had sort of forgotten about opera web browser since it didn't seem to work with screen readers a little while ago, realised that it nowadays seems to have implemented a sort of embedded form of chrome, which means that you can work perfectly well enough with it, along with NVDA.

And, the other advantage is that while it has a similar form of interface in terms of menu system to chrome, besides that, the interface is a lot cleaner/simpler, and, for example, shift+tab from address bar will in fact just take you to the web page contents.

Now, while haven't played around with all of it's settings as of yet, it does also, at the very least, make use of all the standard/same keystrokes as internet explorer, chrome, etc. - as in, keystrokes to open links in new popup windows, navigating back/forward through history, etc., and, it also seems to have a couple of nice, other tweaks, etc., like what it refers to as it's speed-dial, which lets you assign hotkeys to bring up specific websites, etc. etc.

Anyway, specifically what with it's cleaner form of an interface, but, still being based on chrome, I am pretty sure this will be my default browser - unless come across some specific problems...<smile>

And, lastly, FWIW, in the old sighted days, opera was also generally my browser of choice, simply since it was, even back then, basically a stripped down, cleaner interface, which is meant to be able to load webpages quicker, use less system resources, etc. etc.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker
"Resistance is futile, but, acceptance is versatile..."

Arlene

That is still around? Opra? I heard about it in the old xp days!

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jacob Kruger
Sent: August-22-16 12:42 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] A better interface to working with chrome - opera

While had sort of forgotten about opera web browser since it didn't seem to work with screen readers a little while ago, realised that it nowadays seems to have implemented a sort of embedded form of chrome, which means that you can work perfectly well enough with it, along with NVDA.

And, the other advantage is that while it has a similar form of interface in terms of menu system to chrome, besides that, the interface is a lot cleaner/simpler, and, for example, shift+tab from address bar will in fact just take you to the web page contents.

Now, while haven't played around with all of it's settings as of yet, it does also, at the very least, make use of all the standard/same keystrokes as internet explorer, chrome, etc. - as in, keystrokes to open links in new popup windows, navigating back/forward through history, etc., and, it also seems to have a couple of nice, other tweaks, etc., like what it refers to as it's speed-dial, which lets you assign hotkeys to bring up specific websites, etc. etc.

Anyway, specifically what with it's cleaner form of an interface, but, still being based on chrome, I am pretty sure this will be my default browser - unless come across some specific problems...<smile>

And, lastly, FWIW, in the old sighted days, opera was also generally my browser of choice, simply since it was, even back then, basically a stripped down, cleaner interface, which is meant to be able to load webpages quicker, use less system resources, etc. etc.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker

Jacob Kruger

Yup:

http://www.opera.com

But, I actually just installed it via ninite.com...<smile>

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

On 2016-08-22 11:01 PM, Arlene wrote:

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jacob Kruger

Stay well

Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker

Greg Wocher

Hello,

I installed it earlier today and for most part it is very accessible. I do find it just a bit slower than Chrome and Firefox though.

Regards,

Greg WOcher

On 8/22/2016 5:10 PM, Jacob Kruger wrote:
Yup:

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

Stay well

Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker

Arlene

Hi there: Is Opra a form of Crome? Or is it used for web coding?

Sent: August-22-16 2:11 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] A better interface to working with chrome - opera

Yup:

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Jacob Kruger

Anyway, specifically what with it's cleaner form of an interface, but,
still being based on chrome, I am pretty sure this will be my default
browser - unless come across some specific problems...<smile>

Stay well

Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker

Jacob Kruger

Opera is an alternative web browser, that does seem to operate making use of a form of chrome for rendering the web contents, but, thus far, it's interface is better than chrome's own one - my opinion anyway.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

On 2016-08-23 4:35 AM, Arlene wrote:

Yup:

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

Jacob Kruger

Stay well

Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker

Jacob Kruger

On my side it seems as fast as chrome, but, haven't really done anything like a form of speed-testing.

Main thing is that the interface definitely works better for me than chrome, in terms of doing something simple like loading a webpage, and getting to page contents immediately - I work with the web a lot.

And, while I like firefox, it does still seem to, at times, cause minor lock-up issues with NVDA, but anyway.

But, yes, I am a web developer, so I actually switch between different browsers for different forms of activity, or at times just to make sure they react/act in similar fashions depending on what am playing around with in terms of client-side activity, but anyway.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

On 2016-08-23 12:53 AM, Greg Wocher wrote:
Hello,

I installed it earlier today and for most part it is very accessible. I do find it just a bit slower than Chrome and Firefox though.

Regards,

Greg WOcher

Yup:

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

Stay well

Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker

Aravind R

does chrome or opera has image reading facility like firefox with webvisum?

On 8/23/16, Jacob Kruger <jacob@blindza.co.za> wrote:
On my side it seems as fast as chrome, but, haven't really done anything
like a form of speed-testing.

Main thing is that the interface definitely works better for me than
chrome, in terms of doing something simple like loading a webpage, and
getting to page contents immediately - I work with the web a lot.

And, while I like firefox, it does still seem to, at times, cause minor
lock-up issues with NVDA, but anyway.

But, yes, I am a web developer, so I actually switch between different
browsers for different forms of activity, or at times just to make sure
they react/act in similar fashions depending on what am playing around
with in terms of client-side activity, but anyway.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

Hello,

I installed it earlier today and for most part it is very accessible.
I do find it just a bit slower than Chrome and Firefox though.

Regards,

Greg WOcher

Yup:

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

Jacob Kruger

While had sort of forgotten about opera web browser since it didn't
seem to work with screen readers a little while ago, realised that
it nowadays seems to have implemented a sort of embedded form of
chrome, which means that you can work perfectly well enough with it,
along with NVDA.

And, the other advantage is that while it has a similar form of
interface in terms of menu system to chrome, besides that, the
interface is a lot cleaner/simpler, and, for example, shift+tab from
address bar will in fact just take you to the web page contents.

Now, while haven't played around with all of it's settings as of
yet, it does also, at the very least, make use of all the
standard/same keystrokes as internet explorer, chrome, etc. - as in,
keystrokes to open links in new popup windows, navigating
back/forward through history, etc., and, it also seems to have a
couple of nice, other tweaks, etc., like what it refers to as it's
speed-dial, which lets you assign hotkeys to bring up specific
websites, etc. etc.

Anyway, specifically what with it's cleaner form of an interface,
but, still being based on chrome, I am pretty sure this will be my
default browser - unless come across some specific problems...<smile>

And, lastly, FWIW, in the old sighted days, opera was also generally
my browser of choice, simply since it was, even back then, basically
a stripped down, cleaner interface, which is meant to be able to
load webpages quicker, use less system resources, etc. etc.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker

--
nothing is difficult unless you make it appear so.

r. aravind,

Assistant manager
Department of sales
bank of baroda retail loan factory, Chennai.
mobile no: +91 9940369593, 9710945613.
email id : aravind_069@yahoo.com, aravind.andhrabank@gmail.com.

Jacob Kruger

Ok, and, just tested it with a relatively data intensive webpage that am working with - 40 headings, and 1540 links on it, and used both server-side and client-side time output to compare loading times, and while chrome, opera and firefox took a second to load the page, internet explorer actually beat all of them, since it came out as 0 seconds - means it's probably something like half a second which got rounded down to 0.

This is on my own dev machine, so it has nothing to do with pulling data from a remote server, but, to do with loading the document object model for all elements, etc., and, NVDA didn't seem to act differently with any of these browsers in terms of how long it took to have buffered all the content.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

On 2016-08-23 6:36 AM, Jacob Kruger wrote:
On my side it seems as fast as chrome, but, haven't really done anything like a form of speed-testing.

Main thing is that the interface definitely works better for me than chrome, in terms of doing something simple like loading a webpage, and getting to page contents immediately - I work with the web a lot.

And, while I like firefox, it does still seem to, at times, cause minor lock-up issues with NVDA, but anyway.

But, yes, I am a web developer, so I actually switch between different browsers for different forms of activity, or at times just to make sure they react/act in similar fashions depending on what am playing around with in terms of client-side activity, but anyway.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

Hello,

Regards,

Greg WOcher

Yup:

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

Stay well

Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker

Jacob Kruger

There are chrome extensions that are meant to help with that, but, haven't really tried them out yet, and, FWIW, can't currently get firefox to handle webvisum/captcha at all in any case - even if can get webvisum extension installed, if I enable it, that's when firefox and NVDA really don't seem to cooperate on my side.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

On 2016-08-23 6:56 AM, Aravind R wrote:
does chrome or opera has image reading facility like firefox with webvisum?

On 8/23/16, Jacob Kruger <jacob@blindza.co.za> wrote:
On my side it seems as fast as chrome, but, haven't really done anything
like a form of speed-testing.

Main thing is that the interface definitely works better for me than
chrome, in terms of doing something simple like loading a webpage, and
getting to page contents immediately - I work with the web a lot.

And, while I like firefox, it does still seem to, at times, cause minor
lock-up issues with NVDA, but anyway.

But, yes, I am a web developer, so I actually switch between different
browsers for different forms of activity, or at times just to make sure
they react/act in similar fashions depending on what am playing around
with in terms of client-side activity, but anyway.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

Hello,

I installed it earlier today and for most part it is very accessible.
I do find it just a bit slower than Chrome and Firefox though.

Regards,

Greg WOcher

Yup:

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

Jacob Kruger

While had sort of forgotten about opera web browser since it didn't
seem to work with screen readers a little while ago, realised that
it nowadays seems to have implemented a sort of embedded form of
chrome, which means that you can work perfectly well enough with it,
along with NVDA.

interface in terms of menu system to chrome, besides that, the
interface is a lot cleaner/simpler, and, for example, shift+tab from
address bar will in fact just take you to the web page contents.

Now, while haven't played around with all of it's settings as of
yet, it does also, at the very least, make use of all the
standard/same keystrokes as internet explorer, chrome, etc. - as in,
keystrokes to open links in new popup windows, navigating
back/forward through history, etc., and, it also seems to have a
couple of nice, other tweaks, etc., like what it refers to as it's
speed-dial, which lets you assign hotkeys to bring up specific
websites, etc. etc.

Anyway, specifically what with it's cleaner form of an interface,
but, still being based on chrome, I am pretty sure this will be my
default browser - unless come across some specific problems...<smile>

And, lastly, FWIW, in the old sighted days, opera was also generally
my browser of choice, simply since it was, even back then, basically
a stripped down, cleaner interface, which is meant to be able to
load webpages quicker, use less system resources, etc. etc.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker

Brian's Mail list account BY <bglists@...>

Must be cos its been bought bythe Chinese.
Actually not tried it myself.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 5:08 AM

Opera is an alternative web browser, that does seem to operate making use of a form of chrome for rendering the web contents, but, thus far, it's interface is better than chrome's own one - my opinion anyway.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

Yup:

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

Jacob Kruger

Stay well

Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker

hi jacob.
you can contact me about firefox and webvisum directly.
thanks and God bless you all.

On 8/23/16, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
Must be cos its been bought bythe Chinese.
Actually not tried it myself.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 5:08 AM

Opera is an alternative web browser, that does seem to operate making use

of a form of chrome for rendering the web contents, but, thus far, it's
interface is better than chrome's own one - my opinion anyway.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jacob

Kruger

Yup:

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

Jacob Kruger

While had sort of forgotten about opera web browser since it didn't seem

to work with screen readers a little while ago, realised that it
nowadays seems to have implemented a sort of embedded form of chrome,
which means that you can work perfectly well enough with it, along with

NVDA.

interface in terms of menu system to chrome, besides that, the interface

is a lot cleaner/simpler, and, for example, shift+tab from address bar
will in fact just take you to the web page contents.

Now, while haven't played around with all of it's settings as of yet, it

does also, at the very least, make use of all the standard/same
keystrokes as internet explorer, chrome, etc. - as in, keystrokes to
open links in new popup windows, navigating back/forward through
history, etc., and, it also seems to have a couple of nice, other
tweaks, etc., like what it refers to as it's speed-dial, which lets you

assign hotkeys to bring up specific websites, etc. etc.

And, lastly, FWIW, in the old sighted days, opera was also generally my

browser of choice, simply since it was, even back then, basically a
stripped down, cleaner interface, which is meant to be able to load
webpages quicker, use less system resources, etc. etc.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker

--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org