Topics

Getting to chat messages during a call in Skype for Windows 10.

John Isige

Hey all. Ran into something today for the first time. I was in a call with somebody and wanted to send them a link in a chat. Skype kept telling me that call controls were shown. There was an option to hide the chat, but no way that I could tell to get into the area where I could type a message. Tabbing through the buttons there was an area where NVDA read nothing and I thought that might be it, but it turned out not to be. So how do I get to where I can type/send a link in a chat to the person I'm in a call with? I checked the hotkeys and I don't see anything that immediately jumps out at me as relevant. Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8.

Funnily enough I was trying to send them a link to the NVDA basic training. I ended up emailing them instead which was good because I sent them a bunch of other links too. Still, I'd like to know how to be able to do that when in a call. I assume it's possible. There are also other functions, e.g. sending a file, that I couldn't get to either, e.g. with tab. The set of controls on the screen was pretty limited.

To be honest as part of a possible job I tried to get my head around the skype 8 interface, but I never know where I am and to be honest its a large kludge of buttons.

I really think microsoft just needs to have a way we can use the skype classic interface in skype 8 to be honest either that or just leave 7 always up.

The download link for 7 has gone from their website but oh well.

On 9/11/2018 10:04 AM, John Isige wrote:
[...]

hurrikennyandopo ...

hi

Is it the app version which is on windows 10? or the skype 8.2 desktop
version?

Gene nz

On 11/09/2018 10:04 AM, John Isige wrote:
[...]

"Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8." So yeah, not Skype 8.2, but the app version for Windows 10. I'm pretty sure Windows 10 won't let you run the not app version, at least the last time I tried downloading and installing 8, it told me I'd have a better experience if I installed from the Microsoft store and gave me an OK button, and that's it. I could go back to 7 since they seem to be keeping it around, but I'm really trying to get used to whatever Microsoft wants me to use so I don't have to worry so much about what's maybe being killed when and then oh no it turns out that was wrong and so on.

On 9/10/2018 17:28, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
[...]

Ok i have both on this computer but only using the skype 8.2 version
which is the desk top version. I will log out of that one and have a
look back in the other one to see.

Gene nz

On 11/09/2018 10:37 AM, John Isige wrote:
[...]

Just had a look at the app version  say you have connected to the person
with audio if you are still in focus you need to tab a couple of times
to get to the area where you type in your message etc. I think just
above it is where the messages are so you will need to shift/tab to get
to them then use the arrow keys to read them. I think the desktop
version is far easier to jump around and use.

If i remember right there is a written tutorial on the app version of
skype which is found on windows 10. You need to do more tabbing etc in
the app version.

the tutorial can be found on my nvda tutorials for other programs page.

[...]

Oh huh! Maybe I'll try that then. If you figure it out that would be great but I kind of started using the app because I didn't think you could use the desktop version after 7. The other big thing I don't like about the app is that if I don't get to the notifications in time, like if I'm away from the computer, it leaves this window up that just says "new notification" and I can't get rid of it. So it kind of messes with switching apps and stuff, or if I close an app instead of going right to the desktop I have to hit win-m because I'm in the new notification window. Other than that it doesn't seem too bad, I have to open it if I want to write longer messages but I've been dealing with that OK. Being able to write shorter messages right from the notification is kind of handy really.

On 9/10/2018 17:42, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
[...]

Felix G.

I wonder why so many developers think tabbing around is our favorite
mode of navigation. It's good for familiarizing ourselves with
something, but as the only way of getting around it's inefficient. For
any sighted dev lurking here, it's like having to click every button
in between where focus is and where you'd like it to be. You would
start hating it after some time. ;)
Best,
Felix
Am Di., 11. Sep. 2018 um 02:11 Uhr schrieb John Isige <gwynn@tds.net>:

[...]

Well I had a job lined up ages back with skype, but because of skype7's near future death and my issues with skype 8 I had to pull out.

And from now on, anything that uses skype I will have to avoid because it uses skype and skype is now total crap and I can no longer trust it.

With family moving to whatsapp anyway skype is becoming obselete here anyway.

I have tried and made a free account on zoom.us and yes I can use that without any real issue

So at least I can use that if I need to.

I just have to convince prospective users to use that.

If I could do zoom from skype or skypers going to zoom that would rock for a personal user.

On 9/11/2018 6:14 PM, Felix G. wrote:
[...]

Sarah k Alawami

it's actually very easy to get to chat messages in Skype and everything else. Use your quickness Keith such as S4 forms E4 edit Boxes Etc. I can get around faster than I could ever with Skype 7. It is a breeze and I've been using it for a job that uses Skype, in fact I just talked to classes this week using Skype 8 for Windows. I've been using the last client now for about 6 months and love it.

On September 10, 2018 23:14:29 "Felix G." <constantlyvariable@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Hmmm its quite confusing to me, I will look at it again then.

On 9/11/2018 6:40 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
[...]

Lenron

It's not as bad as it seems. I use it pretty well hear the only thing
I am not a fan of is having to pull up the chat when in a call but it
can be done.

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

And yet they are saying they are not stopping supporting it in a press release some days back. Do the left and right hand know what they are doing I wonder.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

Ervin, Glenn

I don't think you have to tab to everything if you know the layout.
You can put place markers to the spots you use a lot, and press K to jump from one to the other.
If it is an edit field, you can press the letter E and you can search for part of a word on a page to go right to it.
And you can list links to arrow through links.
I have to do all this stuff in my work software.
Glenn

[...]

Hi!
Place markers? Which add-on are you referring to?
Best,
Felix
Am Di., 11. Sep. 2018 um 17:07 Uhr schrieb Ervin, Glenn
<glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov>:

[...]

I figured NVDA does place markers, or by a different name.
Maybe not?
Glenn

[...]

I guess they are called Landmarks in NVDA.
Move to set landmarks with the letter D.
I've never set one in NVDA.
[...]

Gene

I don't think they are called landmarks.  Land marks is a term used in Aria formatting, if that is the right word.  I don't use aria to find anything on web pages.

There is an NVDA plugin to set markers on a web page but I haven't used it and I don't know any more about it.

<glenn.ervin@...>:

> I don't think you have to tab to everything if you know the layout.
> You can put place markers to the spots you use a lot, and press K to jump from one to the other.
> If it is an edit field, you can press the letter E and you can search for part of a word on a page to go right to it.
> And you can list links to arrow through links.
> I have to do all this stuff in my work software.
> Glenn

Well and there is my issue, to be honest, its probably just that bit more anoying because skype is not my main business mainstay.

Skype7 keeps asking me to update it even with settings changed.

Right now I just won't use skype till it becomes accessible, stable, or I need it.

That does mean I will have  to turn down some international business but so what.

Its not that hard for me to boykot skype and so I will before I get started on it again.

I want a stable, accessible and usable skype, skype classic is that version.

I barely needed it and if I am going to start needing it as a matter of a job I need to know it will continue to work.