[SUSPECTED SPAM] [nvda] link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

Ervin, Glenn

Does Webvisum still work?

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of andru fou
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 3:15 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [SUSPECTED SPAM] [nvda] link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

link for firefox 52 esr last version to support complete webvisumvhttps://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/win64/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%2052.9.0esr.exe

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

I never successfully was able to use it, not even on version 52 or earlier. I pretty much gave up on it completely because never has an add-on given me so much trouble or simply refused to do what it is most sought after to do. However, it seems other people still use it and maintain that it works for them.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ervin, Glenn
Sent: September 12, 2018 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] [nvda] link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of andru fou
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 3:15 PM
Subject: [SUSPECTED SPAM] [nvda] link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

link for firefox 52 esr last version to support complete webvisumvhttps://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/win64/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%2052.9.0esr.exe

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 05:05 PM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:
No.  It is abandonware and no one who has tried to contact the developers has had any success.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

~ Bertrand Russell

Ervin, Glenn

That is what I thought, I had no luck with it a long time ago.

I know it worked initially.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] [nvda] link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

No.  It is abandonware and no one who has tried to contact the developers has had any success.

--

The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

~ Bertrand Russell

Gene

It does work if you use an older version of Firefox.  52X is the last version it works with.  I advise people who want to use Webvisum to use a portable version that it works with and use the current version of Firefox or Chrome for general browsing.  That way, you don't have to sacrifice security to use Webvism.

If you are going to use firefox as your main browser, you can either use the installed version or another portable version.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 5:26 PM

--

~ Bertrand Russell

I guess I need to qualify "doesn't work" with "presuming you do not already have a Webvisum account."

Those who established one ages ago report being able to use the latest signed version of the add-on up through Firefox 52.  

When I hear, "Does Webvisum work?," it has the implied proviso, "if I want to start using it now," and in that case the answer is no.  I haven't known of anyone being able to get an invitation generated for ages.  And it definitely is abandonware at this juncture.  I fully expect that one day, when it's least expected, it will finally break for existing users.

But those for whom it's still working should ride that proverbial horse until it drops from under them.

Rumola still seems to work under Chrome.

--

~ Bertrand Russell

Gene

It doesn't imply that the person hasn't used it in the past.  Someone may ask because they want to resume using it after not having done so for awhile.  Also, I expect that you can set up an account.  People were doing so for years, long after Webvisum was monitored by the developers.  What people need to do is ask already existing members for an invitation.  I've seen many such requests on different lists.  Because Webbvism isn't monitored by the developers any longer, you can't get an invitation from the developers as you could years ago.  But I see no reason that you still can't from already existing members.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:24 PM

I guess I need to qualify "doesn't work" with "presuming you do not already have a Webvisum account."

Those who established one ages ago report being able to use the latest signed version of the add-on up through Firefox 52.  

When I hear, "Does Webvisum work?," it has the implied proviso, "if I want to start using it now," and in that case the answer is no.  I haven't known of anyone being able to get an invitation generated for ages.  And it definitely is abandonware at this juncture.  I fully expect that one day, when it's least expected, it will finally break for existing users.

But those for whom it's still working should ride that proverbial horse until it drops from under them.

--

~ Bertrand Russell

Gene,

God only knows why your general stance is to say "black" when anyone else says "white," but it's as annoying as hell.

I got an invitation from a member here in 2016.  I went through the registration process.  That's where the process stopped.  Nothing comes back.

If anyone, and I do mean anyone, can complete a new account registration for Webvisum there are a very great many who would love to know how to do so.  I haven't seen a single example of success in several years and know that my own, following their instructions and getting an invitation from a member, went into the great bit bucket in the sky.

--

~ Bertrand Russell

Gene

I said what I know, based on years of seeing people ask for invitations on lists and successfully signing up.  I don't recall when I last saw such a conversation but I think it was somewhere between a year or two ago.  Sorry I had the unmitigated Gaul to disagree with your inerrancy.

If others agree with you, fine.  I'll take that into account and if there is good reason to do so, a number of people agreeing and no one disagreeing, or those who disagree seem to present weak reasons compared with those who agree, I shall consider that I may be wrong.  But I'm not just going to crumble into a quivering mass of doubt and concession just because you make a statement.
I'm perfectly willing to admit that I'm wrong when presented with good evidence.  Please present such evidence if there is a disagreement and I hope others present their evidence or experiences as well.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 8:16 PM

Gene,

God only knows why your general stance is to say "black" when anyone else says "white," but it's as annoying as hell.

I got an invitation from a member here in 2016.  I went through the registration process.  That's where the process stopped.  Nothing comes back.

If anyone, and I do mean anyone, can complete a new account registration for Webvisum there are a very great many who would love to know how to do so.  I haven't seen a single example of success in several years and know that my own, following their instructions and getting an invitation from a member, went into the great bit bucket in the sky.

--

~ Bertrand Russell

I gave up on the webvism I use capcha be gone

I think that it is what it is called, you do have to pay but the fee is not to bad

On 9/12/2018 3:31 PM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:

That is what I thought, I had no luck with it a long time ago.

I know it worked initially.

Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 5:27 PM

--

~ Bertrand Russell

-- 
check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Cristóbal

You know… Someone was able to crack this nut once and while it’s a bummer that Webvisum was dumped, it apparently wasn’t impossible to put together the necessary tools to develop it. Other then the Accessible Apps guy who was charging something like $3 a month for a CAPCHA solution, no one else has really given a shot to recreate a similar one. Sure it sucks that you have to maybe pay for something that can be argued should be free, but those are the breaks. That or another intrepid developer can invest their time and money and skill into an accessible CAPTCHA solver out of the kindness of their heart until something’s actually done about the inaccessibility. Even if you pay, just deduct it from your taxes.

That said though, I can’t recall the last time I really had an issue with a CAPTCHA. Everything’s the I’m not a robot or audio option for the most part now.

Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:17 PM

Gene,

--

~ Bertrand Russell

Brian's Mail list account

I suppose when you think of it, if the standard wobbly writing is cracked like this the spammers can crack it too, this is why we have this new horror of picture matching ones which do not lend themselves to audio versions either. To me the constant war of attrition over spammers and hackers which we are caught up in cos we cannot read is unwinnable in any case and really when you think about it our email filters manage pretty well so why not on the web sites as well?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2018 12:24 AM

When I hear, "Does Webvisum work?," it has the implied proviso, "if I want to start using it now," and in that case the answer is no. I haven't known of anyone being able to get an invitation generated for ages. And it definitely is abandonware at this juncture. I fully expect that one day, when it's least expected, it will finally break for existing users.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another. Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

~ Bertrand Russell

Ron Canazzi

While it is abandoned ware, it will still work on the Firefox 52 series ESR and earlier.  There was a hack by James Scoles that revived it, but when this newer quantum Firefox came around, the hack wouldn't work. 

I forget the direct link to where I got it, so instead I uploaded it to Send Space for anyone who wants it.  The size is only 233 KB.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/lwddwk

On 9/12/2018 6:26 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

--

~ Bertrand Russell

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Ervin, Glenn

My cable provider has one of those

I’m Not A Robot

Links but it does nothing for me and their audio captchas don’t work.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cristóbal
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 10:37 PM

You know… Someone was able to crack this nut once and while it’s a bummer that Webvisum was dumped, it apparently wasn’t impossible to put together the necessary tools to develop it. Other then the Accessible Apps guy who was charging something like $3 a month for a CAPCHA solution, no one else has really given a shot to recreate a similar one. Sure it sucks that you have to maybe pay for something that can be argued should be free, but those are the breaks. That or another intrepid developer can invest their time and money and skill into an accessible CAPTCHA solver out of the kindness of their heart until something’s actually done about the inaccessibility. Even if you pay, just deduct it from your taxes.

That said though, I can’t recall the last time I really had an issue with a CAPTCHA. Everything’s the I’m not a robot or audio option for the most part now.

Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:17 PM

Gene,

--

~ Bertrand Russell

I don’t quite remember the process, but I did acquire an account somewhat recently after receiving an invitation code from a friend. Maybe 2015?

However, Webvism nonetheless never successfully solved anything for me. I remember repeatedly getting the message “no captsha (sp) found”, or something of that nature, even though one was clearly supposed to be present.

Some of the other bells and whistles also seemed to be interfering with Firefox’s functionality, too.

So I just trashed the whole thing.

I know other people have had different experiences, but, well, that was mine. I’d try it again if I knew it was being supported, but as it clearly isn’t, I just no longer see the point in wasting my time and effort.

Sent: September 12, 2018 9:17 PM

Gene,

--

~ Bertrand Russell

Gene

If you had images blocked, it wouldn't work.  If you had JAVA scripts off or blocked, I doubt it would work either.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2018 2:27 PM

I don’t quite remember the process, but I did acquire an account somewhat recently after receiving an invitation code from a friend. Maybe 2015?

However, Webvism nonetheless never successfully solved anything for me. I remember repeatedly getting the message “no captsha (sp) found”, or something of that nature, even though one was clearly supposed to be present.

Some of the other bells and whistles also seemed to be interfering with Firefox’s functionality, too.

I know other people have had different experiences, but, well, that was mine. I’d try it again if I knew it was being supported, but as it clearly isn’t, I just no longer see the point in wasting my time and effort.

Gene,

--

~ Bertrand Russell

Never blocked any such thing for years. I used to suppress download of images when I was on dialup (and I was on dialup for longer than most), but still … a long time ago.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: September 13, 2018 3:34 PM

If you had images blocked, it wouldn't work.  If you had JAVA scripts off or blocked, I doubt it would work either.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2018 2:27 PM

Gene,

--

~ Bertrand Russell