Topics

itunes latest issue

Hi.

Well, just updated to itunes 12.9, the main window is not visible with nvda, narator can read it on win10 sort of but not fully, nvda just treats it as a blank link.

After ages managed to talk to apple but they think its just an nvda issue, who knows if they will actually fix this, and I was thinking I would be going to eventually buy an i device.

Joseph Weakland

that sucks:(

--
email
@HarmonicaPlayer

Yes it does, I was getting close to getting into apple devices, my aunt well has this, they had issues with icloud, most of that is fixed, I wouldn't complain but basically the entire window does not display, on the desktop itunes, not sure about the app, not sure about dolphin or jaws,

But a lot of us need to contact apple about this though I had a job to even get accessibility the main support tech was almost completely useless, I had to go through itunes billing to get a real human the drone I had was useless, scarily enough, when I reached apple access the person I got sounded almost but not quite like the eva cortana voice, so who knows if that was real or not but who knows I am sure it was <grin>

On 9/13/2018 11:04 AM, Joseph Weakland wrote:
that sucks:(

On 9/12/2018 5:56 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Hi.

Well, just updated to itunes 12.9, the main window is not visible with nvda, narator can read it on win10 sort of but not fully, nvda just treats it as a blank link.

After ages managed to talk to apple but they think its just an nvda issue, who knows if they will actually fix this, and I was thinking I would be going to eventually buy an i device.

Mary Otten

Apple has an accessibility address

accessibility@...

wher you can send email. They also have a direct phone number to the accessibility department. But I don't know about contacting them on this line outside the U.S., since it is a toll-free number. (877) 204–3930

On 9/12/2018 4:09 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that.

On 9/13/2018 11:19 AM, Mary Otten wrote:
[...]

John Isige

To be fair to Apple, Apple's stuff works pretty differently on Apple's
stuff, as opposed to Windows ports. I don't know if Safari under Windows
is usable, but it's usable, if pretty weird, on the mac.

On 9/12/2018 19:45, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

I’m not so interested in being fair to Apple in this instance. Microsoft has made the office suite reasonably accessible on the Mac and even on I devices. Apple hasn’t done that well with iTunes or iCloud for that matter. As somebody who owned a Mac for years, hoping that Apple would catch up with Accessibility there and eventually I went back to windows, I’m disgusted. Far more people in this world use windows then use a Mac. I love the eye devices. Apple needs to step up his game on windows. It’s that simple.
Mary

On Sep 12, 2018, at 7:40 PM, John Isige <gwynn@...> wrote:

[...]

Lino Morales

Safari doesn’t exist for Windows anymore. I forget when Apple ended support for it.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

To be fair to Apple, Apple's stuff works pretty differently on Apple's
stuff, as opposed to Windows ports. I don't know if Safari under Windows
is usable, but it's usable, if pretty weird, on the mac.

On 9/12/2018 19:45, Shaun Everiss wrote:
> Thanks for that.
>

> On 9/13/2018 11:19 AM, Mary Otten wrote:
>> Apple has an accessibility address
>>
>> accessibility@...
>>
>> wher you can send email. They also have a direct phone number to the
>> accessibility department. But I don't know about contacting them on
>> this line outside the U.S., since it is a toll-free number. (877)
>> 204–3930
>>

>> On 9/12/2018 4:09 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
>>> Yes it does, I was getting close to getting into apple devices, my
>>> aunt well has this, they had issues with icloud, most of that is
>>> fixed, I wouldn't complain but basically the entire window does not
>>> display, on the desktop itunes, not sure about the app, not sure
>>> about dolphin or jaws,
>>>
>>> But a lot of us need to contact apple about this though I had a job
>>> to even get accessibility the main support tech was almost
>>> completely useless, I had to go through itunes billing to get a real
>>> human the drone I had was useless, scarily enough, when I reached
>>> apple access the person I got sounded almost but not quite like the
>>> eva cortana voice, so who knows if that was real or not but who
>>> knows I am sure it was <grin>

Richard Bartholomew

Hi,

Not overly helpful I admit but, having just updated to 12.9, I am getting this problem, too. However, on this rare occasion, I think Apple may well be right about it being an NVDA issue since I seem to still have the same access to iTunes with JAWS as I've always had after a cursory look. However, I do still absolutely loathe iTunes and wish I could find a better way of transferring material to my phone!

Cheers
Richard Bartholomew

Well, just updated to itunes 12.9, the main window is not visible with nvda, narator can read it on win10 sort of but not fully, nvda just treats it as a blank link.

After ages managed to talk to apple but they think its just an nvda issue, who knows if they will actually fix this, and I was thinking I would be going to eventually buy an i device.

Hmmm safari is not usable on windows but I havn't bothered with it.

Itunes up to 12.8 has been mostly usable, it does appear the new windows app and now desktop client according to narator at least will read themselves fine, so with nvda though maybe the interaction is different, I wouldn't know, its always been a bit clunky, an overblown webpage, but I am getting used to it, its almost like a brouser window and its not like everything never read, in fact in this new version just about everything from the dialogs, to options to menus work as expected, the about dialog, and the main window doesn't read in nvda.

But yeah look at icloud, the main panel works but a lot of it doesn't, but on the apple devices stuff probably works fine.

Conciddering of course the history that itunes was never a windows port till version 4.1 anyway.

On 9/13/2018 2:40 PM, John Isige wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

But is not uncommon. Remember this is the company whose web site being inaccessible in Windows is being taken to court under the ADA over it. its a scandal that such a big influential company does not suitably test their web sites and applications for blind access when they have such a good record for it on their hardware.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

On 9/12/2018 5:56 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Hi.

Well, just updated to itunes 12.9, the main window is not visible with nvda, narator can read it on win10 sort of but not fully, nvda just treats it as a blank link.

After ages managed to talk to apple but they think its just an nvda issue, who knows if they will actually fix this, and I was thinking I would be going to eventually buy an i device.

--
email
@HarmonicaPlayer
sent from Joseph Weakland's PC

Well they say its an nvda issue, I wouldn't mind except itunes is the only way to update things, saying with the death of the store on windows, unless I use it for podcasts and such on windows which I probably won't there is almost no reason for me to ever use it except if I need to store a full backup, and I know a program like contacts backup will work for contacts, the rest is on icloud and the storage rates are fair enough.

It does appear that the itunes universal and the itune pc app have the same interface but the fact is I do wander if the itunes app was accessible in the first place, I never needed to check.

However, while I will soldier on with this, this latest issue may push me off of ios, not because its quite accessible but if I can't use the windows configuration and sync software properly then if it goes pair shaped then I have no chance at all.

On the other hand, with android the chance that my software to do things from windows is going to be accessible is probably low to and I know where to get apple stuff and it is only 1 single system to learn which is probably why I will still end up using it, as long as I have an old device, this latest issue is starting to make me think twice about putting all my stuff in the apple environment.

I have family now with apple devices with a lot of stuff, once your stuff is in apple its going to have to stay there and you will have to continue to use it, and while I won't get the latest something I am seriously thinking on my next device being with the competition.

To be honest if I didn't care for apps and as long as I have a 32 bit unit about I can continue using symbian phones for the rest of my life but there are so many reasons to actually get up and use apps these days.

On 9/13/2018 2:50 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
[...]

Well ok, itunes, and the store I agree with you there, the library issue.

Now saying all that, if you make program x with a large database x length and make it full of stuff things can screw up, look at outlook.

I have had no choice but to load my dad's business database which I would usually run all data from the server hard drive on his workstation's flash ssd because of wait time for checking and database loading.

I have synced from the same drive and the same server, photos for the cameras for the house and our personal cameras, the program I use from soni does bring them up, but even with all the systems shut down and things the box took me 3 days to compile the database and at least 5 minutes on software start to load it

And yes I have had a corrupted database before, and yes while I can clear it and rebuild it again its quite hard.

At least I can rebuild the database for itunes though you have to jump through hoops to do it, on outlook you need to start again which as long as you don't mind losing most of your data except what is stored on google imap is fine I guess.

On 9/13/2018 7:10 PM, Richard Bartholomew wrote:
Hi,

Not overly helpful I admit but, having just updated to 12.9, I am getting this problem, too. However, on this rare occasion, I think Apple may well be right about it being an NVDA issue since I seem to still have the same access to iTunes with JAWS as I've always had after a cursory look. However, I do still absolutely loathe iTunes and wish I could find a better way of transferring material to my phone!

Cheers
Richard Bartholomew

Well, just updated to itunes 12.9, the main window is not visible with nvda, narator can read it on win10 sort of but not fully, nvda just treats it as a blank link.

After ages managed to talk to apple but they think its just an nvda issue, who knows if they will actually fix this, and I was thinking I would be going to eventually buy an i device.

Never found that issue on their website but I don't use it that much, their support was a bit of a joke, the first person I spoke to basically said it was a windows issue, I had to go through itunes billing to actually get to accessibility, they gave me a number but it appears it needs an extention to work so blaa.

To be honest, their stuff for windows is an accessibility joke, its a pitty they don't ask for testers to test things and fix their stupid inaccessible crapyness because that would be a nice job for me to do, would look good on my cv to test for them but oh well.

On 9/13/2018 7:18 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
But is not uncommon. Remember this is the company whose web site being inaccessible in Windows is being taken to court under the ADA over it. its a scandal that such a  big influential company does not suitably test their web sites and applications for blind access when they have such a good record for it on their hardware.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Weakland" <@HarmonicaPlayer>
On 9/12/2018 5:56 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Hi.

Well, just updated to itunes 12.9, the main window is not visible with nvda, narator can read it on win10 sort of but not fully, nvda just treats it as a blank link.

After ages managed to talk to apple but they think its just an nvda issue, who knows if they will actually fix this, and I was thinking I would be going to eventually buy an i device.

--
email
@HarmonicaPlayer
sent from Joseph Weakland's PC

Josh Kennedy

if you do switch to android, you will probably like it a lot. there are lots and lots of apps that are accessible with it.

Davy Cuppens

NO that does not suck thats wok for the devs.

On 9/12/2018 5:56 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Hi.

Well, just updated to itunes 12.9, the main window is not visible with nvda, narator can read it on win10 sort of but not fully, nvda just treats it as a blank link.

After ages managed to talk to apple but they think its just an nvda issue, who knows if they will actually fix this, and I was thinking I would be going to eventually buy an i device.

--
email
@HarmonicaPlayer
sent from Joseph Weakland's PC

Davy Cuppens

Hi Mary

Partially you are right but being honest: are you a fan of the office ribbon menu system. I know almost no blinds are not.
Regards
Davy

[...]

You have to get used to the ribbon thing, but it is not an accessibility issue per se. It’s not like not being able to see the main window of a program. That’s a showstopper. The ribbon thing is just re-learning. Not fun. But it’s not in accessible.

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht----- From: Mary Otten
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2018 4:50 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

What do you mean when you say iTunes is the only way to update things? I never use iTunes to update anything. I just do it over the air. It is the only way to make a fully encrypted backup however. At least as far as I am aware.

On Sep 13, 2018, at 12:22 AM, Shaun Everiss <@smeveriss> wrote:

[...]

Hi Sean. I updated to 12.9 of iTunes and I’m having the same issues as your are. It sucks cause I listen to most of my Apple Music via iTunes on my PC and NVDA doesn’t read a thing. Narrator does, but I can’t press ent on any track to play it. It does nothing.