Adobe Acrobat vs. QRead

kelby carlson

I know that QRead is specifically designed for the blind, but are there any advantages it has in reading PDFs that make it significantly better than Adobe Acrobat with NVDA?

Mike Sedmak

I find that search works in qread but have trouble searching for text
in acrobat reader.

On 9/13/18, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com> wrote:
I know that QRead is specifically designed for the blind, but are there any
advantages it has in reading PDFs that make it significantly better than
Adobe Acrobat with NVDA?

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

The Adobe Acrobat find feature is weird and doesn't quite work nicely with screen-readers in my experience.

You should have both Adobe and qRead on your system if you want, imo.
I like qRead mostly because it is fast as hell. If you set Adobe to load the entire document, which is wise if you really want proper functionality to work, but then try to open a really large file, you've no doubt noticed how irritatingly long it takes to process. qRead can do this in just a few seconds. So I like how small and snappy it is by comparison.

However, sometimes you will just need the Adobe product instead. qRead doesn't always seem to show document formatting properly. You can't print from it if I remember right, and anyway, if formatting is wanky, you wouldn't want to. You can't fill out forms. Etc, etc.

I find that search works in qread but have trouble searching for text in acrobat reader.

On 9/13/18, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com> wrote:
I know that QRead is specifically designed for the blind, but are
there any advantages it has in reading PDFs that make it significantly
better than Adobe Acrobat with NVDA?

Monte Single

Is qread free, or how much?

I find that search works in qread but have trouble searching for text in acrobat reader.

On 9/13/18, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com> wrote:
I know that QRead is specifically designed for the blind, but are
there any advantages it has in reading PDFs that make it significantly
better than Adobe Acrobat with NVDA?

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

I believe it's about $35 in US currency.

I find that search works in qread but have trouble searching for text in acrobat reader.

On 9/13/18, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com> wrote:
I know that QRead is specifically designed for the blind, but are
there any advantages it has in reading PDFs that make it significantly
better than Adobe Acrobat with NVDA?

Kwork

QRead is also not good if your pdf is divided into columns. The acrobat reader will try and read the columns separately while QRead will read both columns as one line making the text sound really confusing.

Otherwise the below answer is right. QRead is my first choice, but also keep Acrobat Reader around as QRead isn't perfect.

Travis

On 9/13/2018 11:54 AM, JM Casey wrote:
[...]

No, not free, but you can read all about it here and try a demo:

https://q-continuum.net/qread/

For me, well worth the purchase price, and it reads epub files, its biggest selling point in my opinion.

Travis

On 9/13/2018 12:07 PM, Monte Single wrote:
Is qread free, or how much?

I find that search works in qread but have trouble searching for text in acrobat reader.

On 9/13/18, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com> wrote:
I know that QRead is specifically designed for the blind, but are
there any advantages it has in reading PDFs that make it significantly
better than Adobe Acrobat with NVDA?

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Ah right, I should have mentioned that, it will handle .epub as well as .pdf which definitely adds to its worth.

I find that search works in qread but have trouble searching for text in acrobat reader.

On 9/13/18, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com> wrote:
I know that QRead is specifically designed for the blind, but are
there any advantages it has in reading PDFs that make it
significantly better than Adobe Acrobat with NVDA?

Ann Byrne

Insert+ctrl+f works in Adobe.

At 01:54 PM 9/13/2018, you wrote:
[...]

That's a screen-reader command, but yes, that should work more nicely.

I find that search works in qread but have trouble searching for text
in acrobat reader.

On 9/13/18, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com> wrote:
I know that QRead is specifically designed for the blind, but are
there any advantages it has in reading PDFs that make it
significantly better than Adobe Acrobat with NVDA?

Mike Sedmak

Can you get it to work on documents that are 100's of pages? That's
where I found qread to be much better for searching.

Thanks,
Mike

On 9/13/18, JM Casey <crystallogic@ca.inter.net> wrote:
That's a screen-reader command, but yes, that should work more nicely.

I find that search works in qread but have trouble searching for text
in acrobat reader.

On 9/13/18, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com> wrote:
I know that QRead is specifically designed for the blind, but are
there any advantages it has in reading PDFs that make it
significantly better than Adobe Acrobat with NVDA?

Kwork

LOL, not without waiting a year for the whole document to load, and that's with the preference in the reading settings changed to load entire document. What Adobe takes five minutes to do, QRead does in about ten seconds if that particular pdf is supported.

Travis