Firefox crashing after upgrading to NVDA rc3

Pranav Lal

Hi all,

I have upgraded to NVDA 2018.3 rc3. Whenever I launch firefox, it crashes. I
have tried restoring defaults without success. This did not happen when I
was using NVDA 2018.2.

Any ideas? I believe I am on the latest version of firefox but cannot say. I
have been updating regularly.
Pranav

Quentin Christensen

Have you restarted the computer since updating NVDA?  Sometimes weird things can happen in between updating and rebooting.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Pranav Lal

Yes, i did restart the computer. It did not help.

On 14-Sep-2018, at 4:37 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

Have you restarted the computer since updating NVDA?  Sometimes weird things can happen in between updating and rebooting.

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 7:10 PM, Pranav Lal <pranav.lal@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I have upgraded to NVDA 2018.3 rc3. Whenever I launch firefox, it crashes. I
have tried restoring defaults without success. This did not happen when I
was using  NVDA  2018.2.

Any ideas? I believe I am on the latest version of firefox but cannot say. I
have been updating regularly.
Pranav

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Felix G.

Hi!
In case it helps to track it down: Here on Win 7 64 bit with latest
Firefox 62 I cannot reproduce. What OS were you using?
Best,
Felix

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 7:10 PM, Pranav Lal <pranav.lal@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I have upgraded to NVDA 2018.3 rc3. Whenever I launch firefox, it crashes. I
have tried restoring defaults without success. This did not happen when I
was using NVDA 2018.2.

Any ideas? I believe I am on the latest version of firefox but cannot say. I
have been updating regularly.
Pranav

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Pranav Lal

Hi Felix,

I am on Windows 10. I suspect the problem is with firefox. I have installed it once again and if I launch firfefox from the desktop icon, I can use it but if I go to the run box with windows + r and type my URL, the firefox that comes up crashes. I do not know what has happened to my installation.

Pranav

[...]

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Felix G.

You may wish to check your standard browser. Maybe it is another
instance of Firefox.
Best,
Felix
Am Fr., 14. Sep. 2018 um 16:23 Uhr schrieb Pranav Lal <pranav.lal@gmail.com>:

[...]

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Pranav

Out of curiosity is your computer a 64 bit operating system? is it
running Windows 10? version 1803?

When you go to open mozilla fire fox either through the short cut or by
going the other way and typing in the search box firefox.exe I think it
is then does it go to load then a crash report comes up? I am wondering
if it was a 32 bit version of fire fox? on a 64 bit operating system.

The reason i ask this is on my computer it is running windows 10 version
1803 which is a 64 bit operating system and i was running the latest
beta and RC builds of nvda and I had a 32 bit version of fire fox on the
computer. When i opened it with the betas and RC builds it would crash.

It would not do it on the stable or the alfas either.

I then tried out a 64 bit version of fire fox and it loads properly and
works normally. I think it may be a bit slower?

If you want to grab a portable copy of fire fox with both the 32 bit and
64 bit version of fire fox in it.  Then under the fire fox portable
directory look for apps then either fire fox then fire fox.exe for the
32 bit version. If you press the enter key then it goes to load then
crashes  that is the one i guess you have.

If you then try out the fire fox 64 then fire fox.exe file then press
the enter key and it loads correctly and does not crash and works
normally that is what i have done at present. I have made a ticket for
it as well about this.

Gene nz

On 14/09/2018 9:10 PM, Pranav Lal wrote:
Hi all,

I have upgraded to NVDA 2018.3 rc3. Whenever I launch firefox, it crashes. I
have tried restoring defaults without success. This did not happen when I
was using NVDA 2018.2.

Any ideas? I believe I am on the latest version of firefox but cannot say. I
have been updating regularly.
Pranav

Pranav Lal

Hi,
<snip You may wish to check your standard browser. Maybe it is another instance of Firefox.
PL] I think this was the problem. I uninstalled and then reinstalled firefox and the situation appears to be resolved.

Pranav

Pranav Lal

Hi,

Yes, I believe I had the 32bit version installed. I let the firefox installer install the version it thought best. I do have a64bit computer. My version of windows 10 is 1803.

Pranav