help with pagedown key

Adel Spence

hello. my computer thinks i'm pressing my pagedown key, but i'm not! but, the key still works! this time, I think i'm skrood! please help me!
thanks.

Quentin Christensen

I've had that happen with the modifier keys like control and alt more often.  When that happens, I usually just press the affected key a few times quickly to "unstick" it (it probably isn't physically stuck, it's just Windows thinks you're holding it down).

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Hmmm firstly remove your keyboard, and put another one in, could be a dirty keyboard.

Now some keyboards can be cleaned but if its got a problem you may have to replace it.

Some keyboards like my gaming board can get issues, and I just do a reflash of the firmware and it works again.

You may have a virus but that could be more than a key, a program or addon may need updating.

Your windows computer may need to be reformatted because windows is breaking and a good reformat will stop it being broken, note, windows will still break from time to time forcing you to reformat to get it working but don't try to fix it, the real errors are hard for me to fix,.

On 9/17/2018 3:45 PM, Adel Spence wrote:
hello. my computer thinks i'm pressing my pagedown key, but i'm not! but, the key still works! this time, I think i'm skrood! please help me!
thanks.

Another thing, bios, or keyboard driver if applicable.

On 9/17/2018 3:45 PM, Adel Spence wrote:
hello. my computer thinks i'm pressing my pagedown key, but i'm not! but, the key still works! this time, I think i'm skrood! please help me!
thanks.

I have had that happen on a few boards, and mostly its the board.

A large note on this is if you have a wireless board or mouse, I have had windows do a lot of strange things with the boards, them not working or windows thinking keys are pressed and other crazyness.

Usually the  battery lights are on or something, sadly the effected users never have the batteries.

And usually this issue happens at night, meaning all the stores are shut.

I have it so people have batteries in stock, else I need to order online and get the morning delivery.

I've had that happen with the modifier keys like control and alt more
often. When that happens, I usually just press the affected key a few
times quickly to "unstick" it (it probably isn't physically stuck, it's
just Windows thinks you're holding it down).

Regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 1:45 PM Adel Spence <adelspence12@...> wrote:

hello. my computer thinks i'm pressing my pagedown key, but i'm not! but,
the key still works! this time, I think i'm skrood! please help me!
thanks.

Brian's Mail list account

Often though either a restart of nvda or a complete system restart is needed as it gets confused somewhere. Probably so many routines looking at keys, one of them tends to get stuck.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I've had that happen with the modifier keys like control and alt more
often. When that happens, I usually just press the affected key a few
times quickly to "unstick" it (it probably isn't physically stuck, it's
just Windows thinks you're holding it down).

Regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 1:45 PM Adel Spence <adelspence12@...> wrote:

hello. my computer thinks i'm pressing my pagedown key, but i'm not! but,
the key still works! this time, I think i'm skrood! please help me!
thanks.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account

Oh I've had it with wired keyboards, and its not obviously the keyboard, as so many have been used it cannot always be that.
[...]

Gene

The most simple and likely way to address a problem should be tried first.  This isn't it.  it is far more likely to be the problem of Windows thinking a key is stuck than that, suddenly, a physical problem will develop.

Sent: Monday, September 17, 2018 12:50 AM

Hmmm firstly remove your keyboard, and put another one in, could be a
dirty keyboard.

Now some keyboards can be cleaned but if its got a problem you may have
to replace it.

Some keyboards like my gaming board can get issues, and I just do a
reflash of the firmware and it works again.

You may have a virus but that could be more than a key, a program or
addon may need updating.

Your windows computer may need to be reformatted because windows is
breaking and a good reformat will stop it being broken, note, windows
will still break from time to time forcing you to reformat to get it
working but don't try to fix it, the real errors are hard for me to fix,.

On 9/17/2018 3:45 PM, Adel Spence wrote:
> hello. my computer thinks i'm pressing my pagedown key, but i'm not! but, the key still works! this time, I think i'm skrood! please help me!
> thanks.

Gene

That may be your experience.  it isn't the problem in the majority of cases.

Gene

Sent: Monday, September 17, 2018 12:54 AM

I have had that happen on a few boards, and mostly its the board.

A large note on this is if you have a wireless board or mouse, I have
had windows do a lot of strange things with the boards, them not working
or windows thinking keys are pressed and other crazyness.

Usually the  battery lights are on or something, sadly the effected
users never have the batteries.

And usually this issue happens at night, meaning all the stores are shut.

I have it so people have batteries in stock, else I need to order online
and get the morning delivery.

> I've had that happen with the modifier keys like control and alt more
> often.  When that happens, I usually just press the affected key a few
> times quickly to "unstick" it (it probably isn't physically stuck, it's
> just Windows thinks you're holding it down).
>
> Regards
>
> Quentin.
>
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 1:45 PM Adel Spence <adelspence12@...> wrote:
>
>> hello. my computer thinks i'm pressing my pagedown key, but i'm not! but,
>> the key still works! this time, I think i'm skrood! please help me!
>> thanks.

Ervin, Glenn

Here's a little trick I figured out years ago, regarding weak batteries.
When you have a device that uses two batteries and they seem to be getting weak, simply swap their positions, so the one that was on the spring is not the one on the spring, or left battery swaps places with right battery, and you will get a lot more life out of those two batteries.
I do this with my TV remotes and keyboards.
Glenn

[...]

I have a laptop keybord, but thanks.