Topics

speech rate control

Marisane Moruthanyana

Good day nvda listers

I trust that this email finds you all well.

I need your assistance.

How does one lower or speed the rate of nvda?

That is, how do I make nvda speak slower or faster; what is the key command?

Thanking you in advance.

Wally Marisane

Sarah k Alawami

I believe it is shift nvda control left right to circle to speech then nvda shift control up and down arrow to go up and down through choices.

On 17 Sep 2018, at 20:17, Marisane Moruthanyana wrote:

Good day nvda listers

I trust that this email finds you all well.

I need your assistance.

How does one lower or speed the rate of nvda?

That is, how do I make nvda speak slower or faster; what is the key command?

Thanking you in advance.

Wally Marisane

Gene

I saw a method described by another member.  As I recall, the method I will describe, though it requires more commands, gives better control over the increments of change.  Use whichever you prefer.

Control NVDA key v.  Then tab once.  Right arrow to increase speed, left arrow to decrease speed.  Page up and down changes the speed by larger increments.

Sent: Monday, September 17, 2018 10:17 PM
To: nvda
Subject: [nvda] speech rate control

Good day nvda listers

I trust that this email finds you all well.

I need your assistance.

How does one lower or speed the rate of nvda?

That is, how do I make nvda speak slower or faster; what is the key command?

Thanking you in advance.

Wally Marisane

Marisane Moruthanyana

Hi Gene

I thought that there is a short way or what is called on-fly method
like with jaws.

You are right that this is cumbersome.

I think that nvda developers or those designing addons should come up
with the simpler method activated by a key command.

Thanks though for your assistance.

Marisane

I saw a method described by another member. As I recall, the method I will
describe, though it requires more commands, gives better control over the
increments of change. Use whichever you prefer.

Control NVDA key v. Then tab once. Right arrow to increase speed, left
arrow to decrease speed. Page up and down changes the speed by larger
increments.

I trust that this email finds you all well.

I need your assistance.

How does one lower or speed the rate of nvda?

That is, how do I make nvda speak slower or faster; what is the key
command?

Thanking you in advance.

Wally Marisane

Quentin Christensen

Hi Marisane,

Gene's method involves opening NVDA's Speech settings.  As he noted, it's not the quickest way you were after, but offers slightly finer grained control over adjustment.

There is a shortcut key directly which is NVDA+control+up arrow to increase speech rate and NVDA+control+down arrow to decrease speech rate.

Press NVDA+control+left arrow or NVDA+control+right arrow to change which speech setting is adjusted (speech rate, pitch, volume, voice) with NVDA+control+up or down arrow, but rate is the default.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Marisane Moruthanyana

Hi Gene

Thank you, I got it.

It is actually nvda key + ctrl up and down arrows to control the speech rate.

Thanks once again.

Marisane Wally

[...]

Someone else presented the short way.  If you didn’t see the message, hold control NVDA key and, while doing so, up or down arrow.  .  I never use it but I tried it after sending my message.

You'll have to see if you like it.  Instead of skipping by one increment, the fast method skips by five increments.  this may or may not give you the control over speed you want.

If you change something else, such as the voice pitch, use the left and right arrows to move around the options until you get to speed.  Then use up and down arrow to change the speed.  I think it remembers what you set last so if you move to speed, you won't have to keep moving to speed.

Sent: Monday, September 17, 2018 10:56 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] speech rate control

On 9/18/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I saw a method described by another member.  As I recall, the method I will
> describe, though it requires more commands, gives better control over the
> increments of change.  Use whichever you prefer.
>
> Control NVDA key v.  Then tab once.  Right arrow to increase speed, left
> arrow to decrease speed.  Page up and down changes the speed by larger
> increments.
>
> Gene

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The problem of course is running out of keys that are simple to use. Often key sequences are allocated already and changing them in the middle of a products life is going to confuse people more than needed. I'm mot making excuses, merely saying why i often see strange combinations, but when you go back in history you see why.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-