firefox crash with NVDA 2018.3

Clive Pallett

Hello everyone,

I updated NVDA to 2018.3 and tried to launch firefox.  The crash reporter screen came up and I tried to start a new session without result.  I have reverted to NVDA 2018.1.1 and firefox loads normally.  It also does when running NVDA 2018.2 which I was running before.  I have the installation file of the former version on my laptop so used that.  I noticed someone else having issues with firefox with NVDA 2018.3.  Is this a problem with firefox or with NVDA?

I will continue with NVDA 2018.1.1 until I can download the latest version and hope the issue with firefox is sorted.

Best wishes,

Clive Pallett

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Clive

I guess if it is the same problem one are you running windows 10 and if so which version or is it windows 7 or 8?

Are you using a 64 bit operating system?

I am guessing you are using a 32 bit version of fire fox on a 64 bit operating system? it seems to only have done this for betas and RC releases and now 2018.3 but not the alfa version.

It worked ok with nvda 2018.2.1 though.

A ticket has been made for this bug. It does not seem to affect the 64 bit version of fire fox though it works as normal.

Gene nz

On 19/09/2018 10:55 AM, Clive Pallett wrote:
Hello everyone,

I updated NVDA to 2018.3 and tried to launch firefox.  The crash reporter screen came up and I tried to start a new session without result.  I have reverted to NVDA 2018.1.1 and firefox loads normally.  It also does when running NVDA 2018.2 which I was running before.  I have the installation file of the former version on my laptop so used that.  I noticed someone else having issues with firefox with NVDA 2018.3.  Is this a problem with firefox or with NVDA?

I will continue with NVDA 2018.1.1 until I can download the latest version and hope the issue with firefox is sorted.

Best wishes,

Clive Pallett

ann

Hi,

I also had major issues with the newest NVDA and Firefox.

I am running a 32 bit Firefox, latest version, on the 32 bit version of windows 10. Firefox crashes each time it's launched.

But, after reverting back to the previous version of NVDA, this never occurs, not once.

~Ann

firefox crash with NVDA 2018.3
From: Clive Pallett
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:55:52 EDT
Hello everyone,
I updated NVDA to 2018.3 and tried to launch firefox.  The crash reporter screen came up and I tried to start a new session without result.  I have reverted to NVDA 2018.1.1 and firefox loads normally.  It also does when running NVDA 2018.2 which I was running before.  I have the installation file of the former version on my laptop so used that.  I noticed someone else having issues with firefox with NVDA 2018.3.  Is this a problem with firefox or with NVDA?
I will continue with NVDA 2018.1.1 until I can download the latest version and hope the issue with firefox is sorted.
Best wishes,
Clive Pallett

Quentin Christensen

A couple of things to check first:
- Have you restarted the computer after updating NVDA?  If not, please try that first.
- Try restarting NVDA with addons disabled and see if the Firefox issues recur. - If so, check for latest versions of all your add-ons, and failing that, please let us know which is being problematic / which you have enabled.
- Double check that you can in fact start firefox without NVDA 2018.3 running (either with an older version of NVDA or Narrator).
- If you can get Firefox to start (perhaps with an older version of NVDA), if you go to the address bar and type:

about:crashes

If you could get me the one of the latest crash IDs (the seemingly random string of characters), I can get Mozilla to look into it.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Mary Otten

I think I’m going to muddy the waters. I also have the 32-bit version of Firefox, and I just upgraded to the newest NVDA. I am running the latest stable windows, which I think is 1803? And sure enough, after installing NVDA, I had Firefox already open. When I altered to it, I got a crash. However, when I started fire fox again, it worked fine and has continued to do so. It’s only been a couple of webpages. And I still need to reboot the computer after the installation of nvDA. But it’s interesting that aside from the initial single crash, it worked.
Mary

From: Clive Pallett
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:55:52 EDT
Hello everyone,
I updated NVDA to 2018.3 and tried to launch firefox. The crash reporter screen came up and I tried to start a new session without result. I have reverted to NVDA 2018.1.1 and firefox loads normally. It also does when running NVDA 2018.2 which I was running before. I have the installation file of the former version on my laptop so used that. I noticed someone else having issues with firefox with NVDA 2018.3. Is this a problem with firefox or with NVDA?
I will continue with NVDA 2018.1.1 until I can download the latest version and hope the issue with firefox is sorted.
Best wishes,
Clive Pallett

Quentin Christensen

Hi Mary,

No, all feedback is good, and indeed it does indicate what I suspected - there likely is some kind of issue at play, but it isn't affecting EVERYONE who uses Firefox, or even everyone using 32-bit Firefox.  Interested to hear if you do have any issues though.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Jim Pipczak

Hi Q,

I have a 32 bit version of Windows 10  and using the latest Firefox that I upgraded last night. The 18.3 version of NVDA does indeed crash every time.

Thanks,

Jim

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Jim Pipczak
Access Technology Service Development Lead
Service Innovation
Vision Australia
346 Macaulay Rd (cnr Stubbs St) Kensington VIC 3031

M: +614 3375 7598 T: +613 8378 1243 (I: 344243)
E: Jim.Pipczak@...
www.visionaustralia.org

Vision Australia. Blindness. Low Vision.  Opportunity. - logo

Vision Australia. Winner of the Australian HR Award for Best Workplace Diversity and Inclusion Program. - logo

The history, culture, diversity and value of all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are recognised, acknowledged and respected.

Quentin Christensen

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the update.  It looks like there definitely is something going on.  Just to double check that you have rebooted since last night, and have you tried restarting NVDA with addons disabled?

One suggestion that someone had was to try "refreshing" firefox:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings

They were using a 64-bit version but it could be worth trying still.

Failing all that, if you could go to about:crashes in Firefox and get me a crash ID , and possibly an NVDA log, I can keep investigating.

Quentin.

--

[...]

Gene

Quentin and all

Have you seen people who use Firefox 32 bit in Windows 10 32 bit who report that it works properly?  I suspect this is a general problem with that combination but that since the number of people using that combination is rather small and since the update has been out for only about a day, we haven't gotten many reports, at least yet.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Jim Pipczak
Access Technology Service Development Lead
Service Innovation
Vision Australia
346 Macaulay Rd (cnr Stubbs St) Kensington VIC 3031

M: +614 3375 7598 T: +613 8378 1243 (I: 344243)
E: Jim.Pipczak@...
www.visionaustralia.org

Vision Australia. Blindness. Low Vision.  Opportunity. - logo

Vision Australia. Winner of the Australian HR Award for Best Workplace Diversity and Inclusion Program. - logo

The history, culture, diversity and value of all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are recognised, acknowledged and respected.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Hmm, If its the number of bits then I'd suspect some kind of over run of a counter which might well be expecting 64 bit maths and hence misidentifying a number causing the effects depending on where it is located.

Strange effects indeed and also for me, I also need to try 64 bit version of firefox, anyone care to post a download link to that version as when I update the 52esr, I get 60 esr which is still 32 bit and hence fails completely to work on my windows 7 machine.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

From: Clive Pallett
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:55:52 EDT
Hello everyone,
I updated NVDA to 2018.3 and tried to launch firefox. The crash reporter screen came up and I tried to start a new session without result. I have reverted to NVDA 2018.1.1 and firefox loads normally. It also does when running NVDA 2018.2 which I was running before. I have the installation file of the former version on my laptop so used that. I noticed someone else having issues with firefox with NVDA 2018.3. Is this a problem with firefox or with NVDA?
I will continue with NVDA 2018.1.1 until I can download the latest version and hope the issue with firefox is sorted.
Best wishes,
Clive Pallett

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes this also gels with my feelings about people not knowing about the beta testing or not doing any, so never see the issue till the main update. What is needed is a post encouraging more people to try the code while its being developed, even as a portable version, so they still have their installed copy.That way a lot more feedback could be gotten and the other reason why it might have not been spotted is the generally unfriendly nature of the reporting system and the fact that there is nobody who actually feeds back in the list if a gather problem has been confirmed to keep people alerted of what the state of play is.

--

www.nvaccess.org

E: Jim.Pipczak@visionaustralia.org
www.visionaustralia.org

The history, culture, diversity and value of all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are recognised, acknowledged and respected.

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Dear List

I am not sure which FirFox I am using, but I updated NVDA yesterday morning and I am running Windows 10.

Ever since I updated NVDA, FireFox crashes the minute it is opened.  I couldn’t even read the “What’s new” document in FireFox.

The interesting thing is that I updated my boyfriend’s NVDA yesterday and FireFox works perfectly on his laptop, which also runs Windows 10.  His FireFox may be an older version as the desktop shortcut is still “Mozilla FireFox”.  Furthermore, he has more AddOns installed on his NVDA than I do, therefore, I would like to go out on a limb and suggest that it is a combination of NVDA 2018.3 and the newest FireFox that causes the problem, as the crashes only came after I installed the new copy of NVDA.

Kind regards

Heaven Botma

Programme Co-ordinator | Program Koördineerder

20 Adderley Street, Worcester

T 023 348 7616 F 086 415 6835

www.innovationfortheblind.org

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Dear List

It is definitely an issue between the new version of NVDA and the new version of FireFox. I installed an older version of NVDA, and FireFox works perfectly again.

--

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org

Twitter: @NVAccess

Jim Pipczak
Access Technology Service Development Lead
Service Innovation
Vision Australia
346 Macaulay Rd (cnr Stubbs St) Kensington VIC 3031

M: +614 3375 7598 T: +613 8378 1243 (I: 344243)
E: Jim.Pipczak@visionaustralia.org
www.visionaustralia.org

The history, culture, diversity and value of all Aboriginal and Torres
Strait Islander peoples are recognised, acknowledged and respected.

Quentin Christensen

Are you using 32-bit Windows or 64-bit, and 32 or 64-bit Firefox?  If you are using 64-bit Windows, then switch to the 64-bit version of Firefox.  There do seem to be issues with 32-bit Firefox though.

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org

Twitter: @NVAccess

Jim Pipczak
Access Technology Service Development Lead
Service Innovation
Vision Australia
346 Macaulay Rd (cnr Stubbs St) Kensington VIC 3031

M: +614 3375 7598 T: +613 8378 1243 (I: 344243)
E: Jim.Pipczak@...
www.visionaustralia.org

The history, culture, diversity and value of all Aboriginal and Torres
Strait Islander peoples are recognised, acknowledged and respected.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Christo de Klerk

Hi Quentin

I am using 32 bit FireFox on a 32 bit machine and NVDA 2018.3. FireFox crashes to such an extent that it became unusable and I migrated to Chrome. This started during the snapshots before the release of NVDA 2018.3. I saw others mentioning crashes, so I assumed an issue had been opened, so I did not write about it.

Kind regards

Christo

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org

Twitter: @NVAccess

Jim Pipczak
Access Technology Service Development Lead
Service Innovation
Vision Australia
346 Macaulay Rd (cnr Stubbs St) Kensington VIC 3031

M: +614 3375 7598 T: +613 8378 1243 (I: 344243)
E: Jim.Pipczak@...
www.visionaustralia.org

The history, culture, diversity and value of all Aboriginal and Torres
Strait Islander peoples are recognised, acknowledged and respected.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Hi

I am really not sure which Windows 10 and FireFox I am using.  If I may ask a silly question: How do you find out if it is the 32 BIT or 64BIT version?

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org

Twitter: @NVAccess

Jim Pipczak
Access Technology Service Development Lead
Service Innovation
Vision Australia
346 Macaulay Rd (cnr Stubbs St) Kensington VIC 3031

M: +614 3375 7598 T: +613 8378 1243 (I: 344243)
E: Jim.Pipczak@...
www.visionaustralia.org

The history, culture, diversity and value of all Aboriginal and Torres
Strait Islander peoples are recognised, acknowledged and respected.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Jim Pipczak

Hi Q,

I have rebooted but haven’t started with addons disabled. I will give it a shot when I get home today.

--

[...]

For your windows version in the search box type winver then prss the enter key and then it will give you the windows version number.

For fire fox if it loads have a look under the help then about section of fire fox. If it loads nicely i am guessing it is the 64 bit version and it should say it in the about section.

If it crashes i am guessing it is the 32 bit version.

Gene nz

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org

Twitter: @NVAccess

Jim Pipczak
Access Technology Service Development Lead
Service Innovation
Vision Australia
346 Macaulay Rd (cnr Stubbs St) Kensington VIC 3031

M: +614 3375 7598 T: +613 8378 1243 (I: 344243)
E: Jim.Pipczak@...
www.visionaustralia.org

The history, culture, diversity and value of all Aboriginal and Torres
Strait Islander peoples are recognised, acknowledged and respected.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Thanks Jim, be sure to try the new 2018.3.1 rc1 that we released last night to (hopefully) fix the firefox crashing issue: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2018.3.1rc1/nvda_2018.3.1rc1.exe

Quentin.

--

[...]

Thanks, quinton. I think I really should update to the 64-bit version, since the reason I originally got the 32-bit version seems no longer relevant. I would like to replace my 32-bit version of the extended release that I think his version 60, with the 64-bit version. But I haven’t done that yet. I have to admit to being not all that great on windows after a several your absence doing mostly Mac and moving from XP to Windows 10. Slow learner.
Mary