Waterfox works with NVDA

Clive Pallett

Hello everyone,

Further to my previous post, I noticed that Waterfox was recommended as an alternative browser to Mozilla Firefox.  I have installed Waterfox 56.2.3 and updated NVDA to 2018.3 and Waterfox works fine.  If anything, it loads faster than Firefox and takes me straight to Google, my preferred home page.

Best wishes,

Clive Pallett

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

I’m unable to use Firefox 62 with JAWS without it hanging up/needing to be closed with task manager, however so far it’s working fine with NVDA 2018.2 (haven’t gotten the upgrade yet).

As for Waterfox, there are some things I’ve always been unclear about.

What, if any, advantage does it really have over firefox?

And how do they handle security updates/bug-fixes? If the versions were concurrent with Firefox at one time and they’re now at 56, that means they are lagging over a year behind the curve now.

Also, you can set your homepage with Firefox easily, so that it opens and goes straight to google, or whatever page you choose.

Further to my previous post, I noticed that Waterfox was recommended as an alternative browser to Mozilla Firefox.  I have installed Waterfox 56.2.3 and updated NVDA to 2018.3 and Waterfox works fine.  If anything, it loads faster than Firefox and takes me straight to Google, my preferred home page.

Best wishes,

Clive Pallett

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

If you have a 64 bit version of fire fox on a 64 bit operating system nvda will play nicely with it with nvda 2018.3

How ever it seems if you have a 32 bit version of fire fox on a 64 bit operating system it will crash. I only noticed this in the betas then the RC and now 2018.3

It did not seem to do it on the stable version of nvda 2018.2.1 or the alfa version. So some thing has changed between releases.

Gene nz

On 19/09/2018 11:49 AM, JM Casey wrote:

[...]

Hi.

I don’t know if you were responding directly to me, but as it happens I have a 64-bit Firefox and a 64-bit oS. I’m not looking for a solution to my JAWS problem on the NVDA list, although the mixed messages I am getting about Firefox screen-reader support are a bit perplexing. Still, there seem to be plenty of NVDA users having no trouble.

My questions below pertained to Waterfox, which I’ve never used, but some people here swear by.

Further to my previous post, I noticed that Waterfox was recommended as an alternative browser to Mozilla Firefox.  I have installed Waterfox 56.2.3 and updated NVDA to 2018.3 and Waterfox works fine.  If anything, it loads faster than Firefox and takes me straight to Google, my preferred home page.

Best wishes,

Clive Pallett

Hope Williamson <isepic@...>

Yeah, Waterfox works perfectly with NVDA! I've been using it for about a month now, I think.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes I have to say this is a cleaner faster browser altogether from the 64 bit standpoint but anyone running 32 bit windows cannot use it, as its been optimised for the 64 bit system and that may well be why its snappier generally. They say they are inheriting all the classic add ons so we assume from that that they have no intention of going Quantum,.

They are seemingly attacking any security issues through other means.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Further to my previous post, I noticed that Waterfox was recommended as an alternative browser to Mozilla Firefox. I have installed Waterfox 56.2.3 and updated NVDA to 2018.3 and Waterfox works fine. If anything, it loads faster than Firefox and takes me straight to Google, my preferred home page.

Best wishes,

Clive Pallett

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I have changed the home page in waterfox with no issues.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Further to my previous post, I noticed that Waterfox was recommended as an
alternative browser to Mozilla Firefox. I have installed Waterfox 56.2.3
and updated NVDA to 2018.3 and Waterfox works fine. If anything, it loads
faster than Firefox and takes me straight to Google, my preferred home page.

Best wishes,

Clive Pallett

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

They are doing their security fixes using the standard classic engine not the quantum one which is the one many of us have had nothing but grief with since it started.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Further to my previous post, I noticed that Waterfox was recommended as an
alternative browser to Mozilla Firefox. I have installed Waterfox 56.2.3
and updated NVDA to 2018.3 and Waterfox works fine. If anything, it loads
faster than Firefox and takes me straight to Google, my preferred home page.

Best wishes,

Clive Pallett

The quantom engine itself is not a bad thing.

But the fact to fix security they block direct access to windows well thats debaitable.

Put it this way, 16 bit stuff especially old dos stuff trying to access the hardware directly.

There can be issues with windows because of that.

Before that, software used to get in other software's way.

The issue now though is that just about everything ie registry, standard windows controls and accessibility libs need direct access, now just about every addon author has to write their own interface.

Thats why firefox quantom is totally inaccessible.

Its a security trade off there is no solution, I understand why they do it even aplord them for doing so but its a trade off.

Waterfox will use classic addons as well as the new quantom engine and the web extention apis.

So in short we should be able to run both libraries eventually.

Sadly older addons as long as they will be available like noscript will continue but newer ones will not work but eventually waterfox will go quantom.

But will continue using classic libraries as well as the new ones.

So in theory we should be able to run most of everything.

Think of windows 10 linux or vmware or talking dosbox or something like that.

There will probably be a few limitations.

Its unknown what those are.

However this is a community developed project based on the mozilla code without all the extra mozilla addons etc.

Sadly its also indicated it can't stay in the happy place it is now because the current engine has limitations.

With thunderbird quantom, addons are just not accessible at all.

Thats fine because I never used them and I find most of the rest of the engine actually usable.

I'd like the addons to work but chances are I wouldn't be accessing them anyway.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clive Pallett" <clive.pallett@ptplace.co.uk>