NVDA 2018.3.1rc1 fix for Firefox crashing

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

Mick has worked overtime and compiled NVDA 2018.3.1rc1 to address the issues with Firefox crashing.

Please download it and let us know if it has fixed it for your or whether there are still problems.

Kind regards

Quentin

Brian's Mail list account

WEll not in my case but my problem is obviously completely different so I'll regress back to waterfox and await the fix for the widespread issue before saying anything else.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Mick has worked overtime and compiled NVDA 2018.3.1rc1 to address the
issues with Firefox crashing.

Please download it and let us know if it has fixed it for your or whether
there are still problems.

http://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2018.3.1rc1/nvda_2018.3.1rc1.exe

Kind regards

Quentin

Christo de Klerk

Hi Quentin

I have downloaded and installed it and am very happy to say that the Fox no longer crashes for me. That was excellent and much appreciated work done by Mick.

Kind regards

Christo

Hi everyone,

Mick has worked overtime and compiled NVDA 2018.3.1rc1 to address the issues with Firefox crashing.

Please download it and let us know if it has fixed it for your or whether there are still problems.

Kind regards

Quentin

Quentin Christensen

And a very important reminder to please reboot once you update to ensure everything is reset.

Regards

Quentin

On Wed., 19 Sep. 2018, 23:48 Quentin Christensen, <quentin@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Mick has worked overtime and compiled NVDA 2018.3.1rc1 to address the issues with Firefox crashing.

Please download it and let us know if it has fixed it for your or whether there are still problems.

Kind regards

Quentin

Brice Mijares

i have Firefox Portable ESR_60.2.0 _ 64 bit. I normally use NVDA and even tried Jaws and narrator and all 3 seem as if they want to crash, but just go silent for up to 30 seconds or so. Web pages keep refreshing. NVDA key plus F-7 or insert f-7 for Jaws don't give me a list of links. This is where I gave up. All 3 screen readers are current. and I'm running
Windows version: Windows 10Ver1803 (64-bit) build 17134.286
Glad I didn't allow my FX 52.x to update to 60.2.0 Forgot to mention, I have a Lenovo laptop, don't know what series it is though.

Brice Mijares

Update, rebooted my system after NVDA update and the website still acts as if it's refreshing.
Lstart.att.net
No longer does NVDA seem like it wants to crash. Just the refreshing proble at my home page.

On 9/19/2018 8:38 AM, Brice Mijares wrote:
i have Firefox Portable ESR_60.2.0 _ 64 bit. I normally use NVDA and even tried Jaws and narrator and all 3 seem as if they want to crash, but just go silent for up to 30 seconds or so. Web pages keep refreshing. NVDA key plus F-7 or insert f-7 for Jaws don't give me a list of links. This is  where I gave up. All 3 screen readers are current. and I'm running
Windows version: Windows 10Ver1803 (64-bit) build 17134.286
Glad I didn't allow my FX 52.x to update to 60.2.0 Forgot to mention, I have a Lenovo laptop, don't know what series it is though.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Quentin,

This looks good. I have tested on and off for the past few hours and not only have I not experienced any crashes, but even cluttered web pages and pages where streaming is broken or malfunctioning, NVDA does not lock up nor does the browser seem to hang.  Things seem quicker and much less sluggish.

I must depart from the script a bit here to give a great round of praise to the tech support people at NVDA and whatever contacts they have at Mozilla itself for tracking this down within 48 hours.  I used to be a private beta tester for Freedom Scientific and my self appointed specialty was the Mozilla programs: Thunderbird and Firefox.  I never got such quick results in almost 11 years of testing.  It got so bad near the end of my tenure there that I got a bit too critical and they fired me.  This after over ten years of service and for those who pay an exorbitant amount for such screen access.  All I can say is kudos to all those folks at NV Access and Mozilla for their efforts!!!

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

If you are comparing what happens with the Quantum version of Firefox to what happened in versions that aren't quantum concerning refreshes, an important feature was removed from quantum and I consider it essential that people let those responsible for accessibility know about this.

There was a setting before Quantum that would have the browser tell you if a page wanted to refresh or redirect.  You would manually have to approve the action.  That option is no longer available in Quantum  That may be why the page refreshes now and not in whatever version you were using before.

Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA 2018.3.1rc1 fix for Firefox crashing

Update, rebooted my system after NVDA update and the website still acts
as if it's refreshing.
Lstart.att.net
No longer does NVDA seem like it wants to crash. Just the refreshing
proble at my home page.

On 9/19/2018 8:38 AM, Brice Mijares wrote:
> i have Firefox Portable ESR_60.2.0 _ 64 bit. I normally use NVDA and
> even tried Jaws and narrator and all 3 seem as if they want to crash,
> but just go silent for up to 30 seconds or so. Web pages keep
> refreshing. NVDA key plus F-7 or insert f-7 for Jaws don't give me a
> list of links. This is  where I gave up. All 3 screen readers are
> current. and I'm running
> Windows version: Windows 10Ver1803 (64-bit) build 17134.286
> Glad I didn't allow my FX 52.x to update to 60.2.0 Forgot to mention, I
> have a Lenovo laptop, don't know what series it is though.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Gene,

Going back to about 7 or 8 years ago, I find that even with JAWS feature of repressing page refreshes, for some reason, web pages still continued to refresh over and over again.  I am wondering if for some reason, this feature--whether it is screen reader based or browser based simply doesn't work any more.  I remember reporting on the beta team years ago about Yahoo Sports--which refreshed every 30 seconds or so during ongoing sports games and neither the Firefox nor the JAWS page refreshed did anything to stop the refreshes.  This is perhaps a web design issue as much as anything else and may be why Mozilla eliminated this feature.

Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 11:10 AM

Update, rebooted my system after NVDA update and the website still acts
as if it's refreshing.
Lstart.att.net
No longer does NVDA seem like it wants to crash. Just the refreshing
proble at my home page.

On 9/19/2018 8:38 AM, Brice Mijares wrote:
> i have Firefox Portable ESR_60.2.0 _ 64 bit. I normally use NVDA and
> even tried Jaws and narrator and all 3 seem as if they want to crash,
> but just go silent for up to 30 seconds or so. Web pages keep
> refreshing. NVDA key plus F-7 or insert f-7 for Jaws don't give me a
> list of links. This is  where I gave up. All 3 screen readers are
> current. and I'm running
> Windows version: Windows 10Ver1803 (64-bit) build 17134.286
> Glad I didn't allow my FX 52.x to update to 60.2.0 Forgot to mention, I
> have a Lenovo laptop, don't know what series it is though.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

There were certain kinds of refreshes that JAWS couldn't stop.  I don't know if that is still true because I very seldom use JAWS now.  But Firefox gave the user the ability to have the browser notify the user when the page wanted to redirect or refresh and, as far as I know, that blocked all such efforts.

Why was the feature removed?  Was there even proper consultation between the developers and those who work on accessibility?  Didn't any blind beta testers notice and complain about the removal?  Who knows.  I see no reason that it needed to be removed.  I see no way in which new features added in the Quantum version make it necessary to remove the feature.  But whether I am right or wrong, this topic needs to be addressed by the developers, either by publicly explaining the necessity of the feature's removal or by implementing it again.

Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 11:10 AM

Update, rebooted my system after NVDA update and the website still acts
as if it's refreshing.
Lstart.att.net
No longer does NVDA seem like it wants to crash. Just the refreshing
proble at my home page.

On 9/19/2018 8:38 AM, Brice Mijares wrote:
> i have Firefox Portable ESR_60.2.0 _ 64 bit. I normally use NVDA and
> even tried Jaws and narrator and all 3 seem as if they want to crash,
> but just go silent for up to 30 seconds or so. Web pages keep
> refreshing. NVDA key plus F-7 or insert f-7 for Jaws don't give me a
> list of links. This is  where I gave up. All 3 screen readers are
> current. and I'm running
> Windows version: Windows 10Ver1803 (64-bit) build 17134.286
> Glad I didn't allow my FX 52.x to update to 60.2.0 Forgot to mention, I
> have a Lenovo laptop, don't know what series it is though.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Brice Mijares

Like I said, I'm glad it is a portable version on a thumb drive and I still have 52.x ers on my laptop.

On 9/19/2018 11:46 AM, Gene wrote:
If you are comparing what happens with the Quantum version of Firefox to what happened in versions that aren't quantum concerning refreshes, an important feature was removed from quantum and I consider it essential that people let those responsible for accessibility know about this.
There was a setting before Quantum that would have the browser tell you if a page wanted to refresh or redirect.  You would manually have to approve the action.  That option is no longer available in Quantum  That may be why the page refreshes now and not in whatever version you were using before.
Update, rebooted my system after NVDA update and the website still acts
as if it's refreshing.
Lstart.att.net
No longer does NVDA seem like it wants to crash. Just the refreshing
proble at my home page.
On 9/19/2018 8:38 AM, Brice Mijares wrote:
> i have Firefox Portable ESR_60.2.0 _ 64 bit. I normally use NVDA and
> even tried Jaws and narrator and all 3 seem as if they want to crash,
> but just go silent for up to 30 seconds or so. Web pages keep
> refreshing. NVDA key plus F-7 or insert f-7 for Jaws don't give me a
> list of links. This is  where I gave up. All 3 screen readers are
> current. and I'm running
> Windows version: Windows 10Ver1803 (64-bit) build 17134.286
> Glad I didn't allow my FX 52.x to update to 60.2.0 Forgot to mention, I
> have a Lenovo laptop, don't know what series it is though.

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Quentin

I just noticed this email did it come in last night? I see the time but no date. I also noted it is 2018.3.1 RC1 which i do not think was there going to the snap shot page?

Just in the process of downloading it then testing it. I have also made a portable version and trying it out with the installer version as well.

Or is this a separatebranch to the others.?

I will get back to you after some testing.

Gene nz

Hi everyone,

Mick has worked overtime and compiled NVDA 2018.3.1rc1 to address the issues with Firefox crashing.

Please download it and let us know if it has fixed it for your or whether there are still problems.

Kind regards

Quentin

Quentin Christensen

Hi Brice,

With the refreshing problem, is it just your home page, or does it happen on other pages as well (Google, Wikipedia, NV Access, etc)?  Does it happen if you use say Narrator or an older build of NVDA?

If it is specific to NVDA, a copy of your NVDA log could be helpful.  And all the other usual things to try like restarting NVDA with add-ons disabled etc.

Quentin.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 2:10 AM Brice Mijares <bricemijares@...> wrote:
Update, rebooted my system after NVDA update and the website still acts
as if it's refreshing.
Lstart.att.net
No longer does NVDA seem like it wants to crash. Just the refreshing
proble at my home page.

On 9/19/2018 8:38 AM, Brice Mijares wrote:
> i have Firefox Portable ESR_60.2.0 _ 64 bit. I normally use NVDA and
> even tried Jaws and narrator and all 3 seem as if they want to crash,
> but just go silent for up to 30 seconds or so. Web pages keep
> refreshing. NVDA key plus F-7 or insert f-7 for Jaws don't give me a
> list of links. This is  where I gave up. All 3 screen readers are
> current. and I'm running
> Windows version: Windows 10Ver1803 (64-bit) build 17134.286
> Glad I didn't allow my FX 52.x to update to 60.2.0 Forgot to mention, I
> have a Lenovo laptop, don't know what series it is though.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Hi Gene,

NZ time, yes about what, 2am for you in NZ?  We released it around Midnight AEST :)

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 8:28 AM hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

Just testing out the snap shot with a portable version and also done it as a installer version of nvda 2018.3.1 rc1

At present i am only using a portable version of fire fox and it works nicely on the 32 bit version of fire fox 32 bit number 62 of fire fox with both versions of nvda.

Just downloaded the fire fox installer version which is 32 bit and it seems to be working correctly as in been able to surf.

I do not know if the following is related but when you press the alt key to get into the menus some times it works and when you get into it it seems to be sluggish when going through the other menus. Other times it is quick to do it but it is the pressing of the alt key which seems to work or not. It may of been there before?

I will test some more later on today but the later nighter for Mick looks as though it has paid off so far for the 32 bit version of fire fox.

The fire fox version said they were 32 bit versions under the help section.

I will also upgrade the installer version of nvda to the stable release to see if it comes back.

Gene nz

[...]

I just went to install nvda 2018.3 over the 2018.3.1 rc1 release and it said the stable version of NVDA 2018.3 was older so i stopped. I am guessing there will be a update of nvda to nvda 2018.3.1 coming when there is more reports of it been fixed?

[...]

We have now released NVDA 2018.3.1 which supersedes the rc build (aside from the version number it's identical).  We've updated the release announcement and links: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/announcing-the-release-of-nvda-2018-3/

The menu thing sounds like something else, so it was almost certainly there before, but something to look into now.

Quentin.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 9:43 AM hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

I just updated right now its here.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 8:28 AM hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...<mailto:hurrikennyandopo@...>> wrote:

[...]

www.nvaccess.org<http://www.nvaccess.org/>
Twitter: @NVAccess

Andre Vosloo <avosloo1@...>

Hi list

Thanks for this the fox is working again I am very happy.  Thanks for your hard work.

regards

I have downloaded and installed it and am very happy to say that the Fox no longer crashes for me. That was excellent and much appreciated work done by Mick.

Kind regards

Christo

Hi everyone,

Mick has worked overtime and compiled NVDA 2018.3.1rc1 to address the issues with Firefox crashing.

Please download it and let us know if it has fixed it for your or whether there are still problems.

Kind regards

Quentin

Quentin Christensen

You're all welcome!

I realised I worded the title of this thread badly - every time I see "Fix for firefox crashing", I think "Oh no, it didn't work!" :)