From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tony Ballou
Sent: September 23, 2018 11:42 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] has anybody seen this using windows 1803

howdy folks,

Has anyone seen the following message when trying to download content from the web using windows 1803, (Authentication Required, your computer is blocked) the dialog box also has edit fields for a user name and password. One of my musician friends is trying to send me a set of jazz Mp3's for our next upcoming rehearsal. Is this some sort of windows security thing or what? Never seen it before.

Tony

Mohamed

Based on how you describe it, this is probably a tech support scam. Just close the tab.

On 9/23/2018 11:42 AM, Tony Ballou wrote:
howdy folks,

Has anyone seen the following message when trying to download content
from the web using windows 1803, (Authentication Required, your computer
is blocked) the dialog box also has edit fields for a user name and
password. One of my musician friends is trying to send me a set of jazz
Mp3's for our next upcoming rehearsal. Is this some sort of windows
security thing or what?  Never seen it before.

Tony

This is a case where a screen shot of the message would be very helpful (for me, anyway) in determining what it's from and whether it's legitimate or not.

If you can get one and send it I'll take a quick look.

           ~ Bertrand Russell

Rosemarie Chavarria

I haven't heard of it or seen it before either.

Has anyone seen the following message when trying to download content from the web using windows 1803, (Authentication Required, your computer is blocked) the dialog box also has edit fields for a user name and password. One of my musician friends is trying to send me a set of jazz Mp3's for our next upcoming rehearsal. Is this some sort of windows security thing or what? Never seen it before.

Tony

I do see this from time to time on systems that need a username and password, usually for a private ftp or other share.

Usually you get a passphrase set for that or a share.

However if its something perminant and I need web access with a username and password, and its an ftp I will be using I usually just ask for ftp access and then use my ftp client to pull the files with the advantage, I can get what I want, bugger off and I know it will be done when its done.

On 9/24/2018 4:19 AM, Mohamed wrote:
Based on how you describe it, this is probably a tech support scam. Just close the tab.

On 9/23/2018 11:42 AM, Tony Ballou wrote:
howdy folks,

Has anyone seen the following message when trying to download content
from the web using windows 1803, (Authentication Required, your computer
is blocked) the dialog box also has edit fields for a user name and
password. One of my musician friends is trying to send me a set of jazz
Mp3's for our next upcoming rehearsal. Is this some sort of windows
security thing or what?  Never seen it before.

Tony

.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

How are they sending it to you? If its a cloud service the person the other end has maybe password protected it. However I think we will start to see this more if the EU get their way on making services vet uploaded content.

I use dropbox, which at the moment at least allows you to send a public link to a recipient via email.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Has anyone seen the following message when trying to download content
from the web using windows 1803, (Authentication Required, your computer
is blocked) the dialog box also has edit fields for a user name and
password. One of my musician friends is trying to send me a set of jazz
Mp3's for our next upcoming rehearsal. Is this some sort of windows
security thing or what? Never seen it before.

Tony

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Not always. I had this on soundcloud the other day as obviously the sender had no idea they were using a corporate account and that any recipient needed their log in details.