Topics

I have a couple addons that are several years old that I want to keep, so I'm guessing I shouldn't update NVDA at this time...

Sharni-Lee Ward

Hey,

I've been hearing a lot over the grapevine about issues with the latest
NVDA being incompatible with various addons due to changes, and I have a
couple synth addons that are several years old, as well as an old
version of the Emoticons addon. I've been pretty anxious about messing
with computer stuff lately, and the last time I went to update an addon
I had to remove it from the Appdata because uninstalling it in NVDA
didn't work. I haven't updated since 2018.1 and part of me is scared to...

Gene

Is there any reason to update?  Just because an update, I'm not talking about security updates, but a program update that introduces new features occurs, that doesn't mean you have to update.  Usually, you can see information about what is new in a program on the web site.  People would save themselves trouble, perhaps a lot of trouble over time, if they don't just reflexively update.

In terms of NVDA, there are some major technical changes coming and being worked on in the program.  Many add-ons that work currently won't work in future versions unless they are updated by the developers.  I don't know how many will be.  I don't know when this will occur to a significant extent.  it already has regarding certain add-ons.

I would suggest reading about what's new and deciding whether to update NVDA, not just updating because there is one.

Sent: Monday, September 24, 2018 6:35 PM
Subject: [nvda] I have a couple addons that are several years old that I want to keep, so I'm guessing I shouldn't update NVDA at this time...

Hey,

I've been hearing a lot over the grapevine about issues with the latest
NVDA being incompatible with various addons due to changes, and I have a
couple synth addons that are several years old, as well as an old
version of the Emoticons addon. I've been pretty anxious about messing
with computer stuff lately, and the last time I went to update an addon
I had to remove it from the Appdata because uninstalling it in NVDA
didn't work. I haven't updated since 2018.1 and part of me is scared to...

Looking at your situation, unless those add-ons are updated, you can't update. That might become an issue soon.

I do not recall if you run Windows 10 or not. If you do, you might have issues. If not, no really big issues.

On 9/24/2018 7:35 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
Hey,

I've been hearing a lot over the grapevine about issues with the latest
NVDA being incompatible with various addons due to changes, and I have a
couple synth addons that are several years old, as well as an old
version of the Emoticons addon. I've been pretty anxious about messing
with computer stuff lately, and the last time I went to update an addon
I had to remove it from the Appdata because uninstalling it in NVDA
didn't work. I haven't updated since 2018.1 and part of me is scared to...

Sharni-Lee Ward

I don't run Windows 10 right now, but there may come a time when I have a new computer and little choice. Then, I suppose the best course of action will be to leave ProTalker behind, get the updated Emoticons and just move on...

On 25/09/2018 12:11 PM, Governor staten wrote:

Looking at your situation, unless those add-ons are updated, you can't update. That might become an issue soon.

I do not recall if you run Windows 10 or not. If you do, you might have issues. If not, no really big issues.

On 9/24/2018 7:35 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
Hey,

I've been hearing a lot over the grapevine about issues with the latest
NVDA being incompatible with various addons due to changes, and I have a
couple synth addons that are several years old, as well as an old
version of the Emoticons addon. I've been pretty anxious about messing
with computer stuff lately, and the last time I went to update an addon
I had to remove it from the Appdata because uninstalling it in NVDA
didn't work. I haven't updated since 2018.1 and part of me is scared to...

To be honest synth wize every one of them bar the code factory ones are quite expensive the way they are packaged at any rate.

Indevidual voices can be as little as 30 or as much as 70 but packages are not everything.

I can and will probably get the code factory vocaliser ones at 115 dollars.

On the subject of win7 units though, if you can obtain a legal copy of win7 you only need a 6th gen unit to install it on which is the last generation of cpu about.

You can still get some of those.

________________________________

On 9/24/2018 7:35 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:

Hey,

I've been hearing a lot over the grapevine about issues with the latest
NVDA being incompatible with various addons due to changes, and I have a
couple synth addons that are several years old, as well as an old
version of the Emoticons addon. I've been pretty anxious about messing
with computer stuff lately, and the last time I went to update an addon
I had to remove it from the Appdata because uninstalling it in NVDA
didn't work. I haven't updated since 2018.1 and part of me is scared to...

Sharni-Lee Ward

But Win 7 stops being supported in a year. What point is there in
getting another Win 7 computer if I run the risk of something going
wonky because I'm on an outdated system?

On 25/09/2018 10:10 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

jazzyjennifer

yeah i think nvda remote. is one of the addons, that hasn't ben updated in a while too.

Kwork

Or grabbing the update from the website, installing it as a portable version, in a folder of your choosing which you can choose to do at setup, then running it as a portable copy to see how add-ons work. You can have an infinite number of portable copies of NVDA on the computer, just make sure each one is in a separate folder so they won't overwrite each other. This way you can test your old add-ons without updating your installed copy first.

Travis