Word 2016

kelby carlson

All,

I just received a new laptop with MS Office 2016. I am able to create
and save new Word documents effectively. However when I open Word
documents transferred over from my old PC, NVDA seems not to read
them. The documents open, but NVDA will not read anything within the
document. Using the navigation keys does nothing; neither does
pressing the alt key to open the ribbons.

I do not know if this is an MS Word problem or an NVDA problem. Has
anyone else experienced this? Are their solutions?

Quentin Christensen

Opening an older format .doc file shouldn't cause this behaviour, but perhaps it might be opening the document in protected view?

If you press F6, if it is in protected view, the focus will move to the "Protected view grouping", from there press right arrow to move to "Enable editing" then ENTER to activate that.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi, Kelby

I wonder if the old documents are blocked? You can easily check this by opening the properties of any one of the old files in “My documents”. To do so, just right click on the file name, arrow down to properties or, press alt & enter on one of the files. Tab down three times and you should see “unblock” which is ticked or not ticked. If it is blocked, try ticking this and see if the file opens in Word this time.

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

Are these files definitely opening on word. I know the word file viewer often set up as default in windows 10 is just a picture of the text so does not actually work. Might be worth checking what file extensions are on the old files and seeing which program is set to open them by default I found this rather annoying step coming up all the time in Windows 10, instead of it using word to open all formats it could, it was all over the place and needed me to go in and change things for ages. Who thought this one up?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I just received a new laptop with MS Office 2016. I am able to create
and save new Word documents effectively. However when I open Word
documents transferred over from my old PC, NVDA seems not to read
them. The documents open, but NVDA will not read anything within the
document. Using the navigation keys does nothing; neither does
pressing the alt key to open the ribbons.

I do not know if this is an MS Word problem or an NVDA problem. Has
anyone else experienced this? Are their solutions?

kelby carlson

1) The files aren't opening in protected view; I changed that in the
options immediately.

2) i will have to check this one out; i'm not sure about it, but it's
happening for every older word file so I doubt that's the answer.

3) No, the files are definitely opening in Word; JAWS and NVDA both
indicate that. But I am not able to move around at all, either between
panes or in the window. While the Word file is open and in focus,
pressing any key does absolutely nothing.

On 8/29/16, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

Can you toggle between nav and focus mode as you should be able to in Word now?

I think the only way to solve this might be to find a small file that shows the problem which is not personal, so to speak, and let the folk here have a try with it and see what comes up The first thing to try is if it affects everybody or not, at least then you might get an idea of where the issue is. I unfortunately use an older version of Word, so cannot really help but others use a variety so probably can.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I just received a new laptop with MS Office 2016. I am able to create
and save new Word documents effectively. However when I open Word
documents transferred over from my old PC, NVDA seems not to read
them. The documents open, but NVDA will not read anything within the
document. Using the navigation keys does nothing; neither does
pressing the alt key to open the ribbons.

I do not know if this is an MS Word problem or an NVDA problem. Has
anyone else experienced this? Are their solutions?

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Kelby,

I had exactly this problem a few months ago when I installed Office 2016 on my PC running Windows 10. I found the solution to do with the trust centre and with unblocking files in the properties of each file before opening them. This is different from “protection view” when the document is open. I did send a note earlier this week on this topic but I expect it was swamped by other responses.

Can you confirm that the files you are trying to open are blocked or unblocked in “Properties”?

All the best,

Cearbhall

kelby carlson

Brian,

How do I switch between nav and focus mode?

Searbhall,

I have changed the trust center settings but haven't yet looked at the
file properties. I'm on a different computer but will do that later
today.

On 8/30/16, Cearbhall O'Meadhra <cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie> wrote:
Kelby,

I had exactly this problem a few months ago when I installed Office 2016 on
my PC running Windows 10. I found the solution to do with the trust centre
and with unblocking files in the properties of each file before opening
them. This is different from "protection view" when the document is open. I
did send a note earlier this week on this topic but I expect it was swamped
by other responses.

Can you confirm that the files you are trying to open are blocked or
unblocked in "Properties"?

All the best,

Cearbhall

version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try Spam Reader
<http://www.spam-reader.com/disclaimer.shtml> for free now!

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Kelby,

Here is a useful link that describes the “Block Files” system:

https://www.poremsky.com/office/cant-open-office-documents-file-block-settings/

I had exactly this problem a few months ago when I installed Office 2016 on my PC running Windows 10. I found the solution to do with the trust centre and with unblocking files in the properties of each file before opening them. This is different from “protection view” when the document is open. I did send a note earlier this week on this topic but I expect it was swamped by other responses.

Can you confirm that the files you are trying to open are blocked or unblocked in “Properties”?

All the best,

Cearbhall

kelby carlson

Searbhall,

I don't actually see an option to unblock" in the Word files I'm
looking at. I do see a read-only box which are consistently
un-checked.

[...]

I still haven't had any luck figuring this out. I pretty much can't
read any Word documents at this point.

On 8/30/16, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The
Professional
version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try Spam Reader
<http://www.spam-reader.com/disclaimer.shtml> for free now!

Louis Maher <ljmaher@...>

kelby ,

Have you called the Microsoft disability answer desk (1-800-936-5900)? I found them to be extremely helpful.

Regards
Louis Maher
Phone: 713-444-7838
[...]

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e:
cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie

I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The
Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.
Try Spam Reader <http://www.spam-reader.com/disclaimer.shtml> for
free now!

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Kelby

I find it hard to remember exactly what I did to fix the problem. However, I did reinstall Office 2016 and after that the problem went away. Not a very satisfactory explanation I’m afraid. However, would you consider running a repair on Office? Failing that, deleting and completely reinstalling might help.

Before you do that, can you confirm that:

1.      You can create a new Word or excel file from within either program?

2.       That you can open files listed in the “Recents” tab of the file menu?

3.      That the “File / Open” dialog cannot focus on the directory where your existing files are located from within either program?

If these conditions are true, then you have the same problem that I had and I would recommend a reinstall of MS Office.

All the best,

Cearbhall

kelby carlson

I am able toopen the window you are talking about, but I can't alter
anything and the website you linked me too is sort of vague.

kelby carlson

All right, I was able to find the dialogue referred to. However none
of the file types are checked, which I assume means they are
unblocked.