Has any one done a factory reset on Windows 10 with NVDA?

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi guys

I was wondering if any one on this list has done a factory reset for
windows 10 with NVDA?

A lady i am trying to help has a copy of Windows 10 on it with the
latest version of NVDA 2016.2.1

When she tries to go into mozilla fire fox which is online she can see
the page has loaded, but NVDA will speak nothing on the screen it just
says unknown. Even tabing etc does nothing.

NVDA will not even speak the menus up the top either.

She gets the same sort of result with mozilla thunderbird. when you tab
it just says unknown etc and the menus do not speak either.

I noticed in some programs NVDA will not speak the menus or may speak a
little of them.

I can tab around the desktop, but down on the taskbar it might say
unknown or when you get to the desktop it will speak what is there.

I have done the usual and uninstalled NVDA and also removed the settings
for the %appdata% section as well. Restarted NVDA etc and even done a
system restore but it will only let me go so far back.

She is running a lap top i think it is and I am not sure if I reset it
to factory defaults does it go back to where you have to specify your
drive etc like I done on a brand new lap top one time or will it load
with Windows? then it is a matter of putting NVDA back onto the lap top?

I have also done a factory reset on NVdA etc, but am running out of
ideas. By the way i was able to remote into her pc to see what is
happening but looks like the nvda.ini file might be corrupted.

Could i copy a good nvda.ini file to the usb stick and move it across
and fix it this way by over riding the nvda.ini file under the %appdata%
section.

She does have a computer running Xp of which I can email to with a
working copy of NVDA and move it across with a usb stick.

I have tried with a fresh copy of NVDA etc and done it this way, but
looks like it is still having the problem.
I have also renamed the nvda.ini file to old then put nvda onto it,
but it still seems the same.

The lap top has internet access, but is unuseable to use the browser or
emails.

Would copying a working nvda.ini file from a good pc to the other one
then over riding the file maybe fix the problem?

Any ideas apart from a reformat would be good.

Gene nz

Felix G.

Hello,
refreshing Windows to factory defaults will not take you all the way back to the pe environment where you would specify the drive on which to install Windows. From my experience and also what I've read, it will restart a few times then boot into the out of the box mode, at which point you can get Narrator running with Windows+Enter.
From what you describe this step is definitely indicated.
Hope this helps.
Greetings,
Felix

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> schrieb am Mo., 29. Aug. 2016 um 07:12 Uhr:

[...]

Firstly beware of using xp derived nvda portables on anything later as uia is disabled in the xp version I believe, but this can be edited in the .ini file later.
I suppose her account does allow nvda to actually work. Some strange effects can be generated if nvda is installed by a non admin account on the machine.

It sounds like if this is not the issue than either some bespoke software is nobbling it, ie anti virus or whatever, or the windows is basically busted, as certain files need to be used by nvda to get accessibility information. I've seen these stop web content, but not everything.

Be interested in whether Narrator works, though having tried this myself its hardly intuitive in use. It reminded me of those unhelpful messages one used to get when playing adventure games like you cannot do this, or whatever, never actually saying what you can do.
grin.
However if it can read content then maybe it might be possible to figure out what is going on.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Hi Brian

When I put it onto the usb stick it was the nvda 2016.2.1 file. Then
that was moved to the windows 10 machine. I had already removed the copy
of nvda that was on it plus under the %appdata% section where the
settings were for NVDA that folder was also deleted. The pc was rebooted
then i used narrator to locate the nvda 2016.2.1 file then install it
from there. It was a new copy from off the web. So there should not have
been anything to cause problems. But after it was installed i also put
on the remote add on or i mean i got her to put it on then remoted in.
Still the same problem, so i am guessing windows is busted and i can not
do a system restore, because there is no restore points earlier than
when she started having problems. I think she said a copy of office 2010
home student was put on but do not think that would cause it. She does
not really play around with her pc.

So it has me stumped at present.

The only thing i have not done is copy a good working nvda.ini file onto
the usb stick then overwrite it in the %appdata% nvda folder over the
other one. Done the rename from nvda.ini to nvda.old etc still the same
problem.

Gene nz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene New Zealand"
<hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz>

--
Check out my website for nvda tutorials and other blindness related
material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

In NVDA 13, the portable NVDA.ini file on an XP machine says the following:
[UIA]
 minWindowsVersion = 6.1
 enabled = True
I doubt it matters what version of Windows a portable version is created using.

I'm going into this because I don't think that people who have a certain version of Windows and want to use a portable version on another version have to worry about what version they are using or on what version the portable file was created on.

Sent: Monday, August 29, 2016 3:54 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> I was wondering if any one on this list has done a factory reset for
> windows 10 with NVDA?
>
> A lady i am trying to help has a copy of Windows 10 on it with the
> latest version of NVDA 2016.2.1
>

> When she tries to go into mozilla fire fox which is online she can see
> the page has loaded, but NVDA will speak nothing on the screen it just
> says unknown. Even tabing etc does nothing.
>
> NVDA will not even speak the menus up the top either.
>

> She gets the same sort of result with mozilla thunderbird. when you tab
> it just says unknown etc and the menus do not speak either.
>

> I noticed in some programs NVDA will not speak the menus or may speak a
> little of them.
>

> I can tab around the desktop, but down on the taskbar it might say
> unknown or when you get to the desktop it will speak what is there.
>

> I have done the usual and uninstalled NVDA and also removed the settings
> for the %appdata% section as well. Restarted NVDA etc and even done a
> system restore but it will only let me go so far back.
>

> She is running a lap top i think it is and I am not sure if I reset it
> to factory defaults does it go back to where you have to specify your
> drive etc like I done on a brand new lap top one time or will it load
> with Windows? then it is a matter of putting NVDA back onto the lap top?
>

> I have also done a factory reset on NVdA etc, but am running out of
> ideas. By the way i was able to remote into her pc to see what is
> happening but looks like the nvda.ini file might be corrupted.
>
> Could i copy a good nvda.ini file to the usb stick and move it across
> and fix it this way by over riding the nvda.ini file under the %appdata%
> section.
>

> She does have a computer running Xp of which I can email to with a
> working copy of NVDA and move it across with a usb stick.
>
> I have tried with a fresh copy of NVDA etc and done it this way, but
> looks like it is still having the problem.
>  I have also renamed the nvda.ini file to old then put nvda onto it,
> but it still seems the same.
>
> The lap top has internet access, but is unuseable to use the browser or
> emails.
>
> Would copying a working nvda.ini file from a good pc to the other one
> then over riding the file maybe fix the problem?
>
> Any ideas apart from a reformat would be good.
>
> Gene nz
>
> --
> Check out my website for nvda tutorials and other blindness related
> material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

Gene

You said that someone put a version of Word on the computer.  Was it uninstalled at any time?  I'm quite sure I've seen discussions on this list about uninstalling office causing accessibility problems.

As far as running a restore point is concerned, if office or Word was uninstalled, is there at least one restore point from a time before the uninstallation?  If so, you could try running it and just leave Office on the machine.

Gene

Chris Mullins

As the NVDA.Ini file is text, you could use the push clipboard feature of the remote add-on to paste a good version into the ini file on the remote computer.

Cheers
Chris

[...]

Kevin Huber

Hi Gene:

Since she has Office 10, she could try downloading the version of
Window-eyes that comes free with Microsoft Office, and see if she gets
the same error in Firefox. This will tell her whether or not the
problem lies in the Screenreader.
The website for this software is:
www.windoweyesforoffice.com.

By the way, does the phenominon that you describe happen when using
NVDA with either Internet Explorer or Chrome?

On 8/29/16, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz> wrote:
[...]

Hi Gene

there was at least one restore point that we could go to and that was the one I chose. so it was picked and you go through the process to restore it. but for some reason it could not do it.  There are no other restore points on the machine.

From what I go t told the copy of office 2010 was installed not taken off.

I as you have heard that sometimes a older version of office will do this i guess more maybe if unsupported. I could see if when it was installed it caused it but it should not as I have the same version here.

gene nz

On 29/08/2016 10:09 PM, Gene wrote:
You said that someone put a version of Word on the computer.  Was it uninstalled at any time?  I'm quite sure I've seen discussions on this list about uninstalling office causing accessibility problems.

As far as running a restore point is concerned, if office or Word was uninstalled, is there at least one restore point from a time before the uninstallation?  If so, you could try running it and just leave Office on the machine.

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Yes to mozilla fire fox and google chrome. There is no internet
explorer on her version. I went looking for it but is a shop brough
laptop with 10 on it. unless i missed it some where.

it also does not speak the menus for say note pad microsoft word but yes
i could navigate the start menus all apps etc and file manager etc.

But is is like the buffer is some how buggeree even when bringing up a
webpage, it will not speak the contents of it or even speak the menus
when you go to use them.

gene nz

On 30/08/2016 1:33 AM, Kevin Huber wrote:
[...]

Installing it is not the problem.  I've seen discussions that uninstalling Office causes problems.

Sent: Monday, August 29, 2016 3:04 PM

Hi Gene

there was at least one restore point that we could go to and that was the one I chose. so it was picked and you go through the process to restore it. but for some reason it could not do it.  There are no other restore points on the machine.

From what I go t told the copy of office 2010 was installed not taken off.

I as you have heard that sometimes a older version of office will do this i guess more maybe if unsupported. I could see if when it was installed it caused it but it should not as I have the same version here.

gene nz

On 29/08/2016 10:09 PM, Gene wrote:
You said that someone put a version of Word on the computer.  Was it uninstalled at any time?  I'm quite sure I've seen discussions on this list about uninstalling office causing accessibility problems.

As far as running a restore point is concerned, if office or Word was uninstalled, is there at least one restore point from a time before the uninstallation?  If so, you could try running it and just leave Office on the machine.

I don't think that 10 does automatic restore points out of the box. Certainly there are none on mine, though of course windows 7 does.
Yes Word being removed or a test version being installed can case issues with web browsers, but in this case its everything.

Are you saying it used to work and is only more recently not working, as this would put a whole new slant on the problem. did the anti virus get updated for example.
I had no end of issues with Panda anti virus and nvda, but that was quite awhile ago now.
Nobody has stated if the account in use has admin rights or not. I don't know what occurs if you install nvda in such an environment as to me computers are completely useless if you cannot rename and change stuff.
brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

You said that someone put a version of Word on the computer. Was it uninstalled at any time? I'm quite sure I've seen discussions on this list about uninstalling office causing accessibility problems.

As far as running a restore point is concerned, if office or Word was uninstalled, is there at least one restore point from a time before the uninstallation? If so, you could try running it and just leave Office on the machine.

Yes and restart nvda. However I fear this is not the issue here from what has been explained so far.
It certainly sounds like something is stopping nvda from seeing events and hence reading stuff.
[...]

Internet explorer has to be there if its windows 10, as does edge of course.

I have to admit I'm not a great fan of chain stores supplied computers as they often come laden with software that are only there to try to get the user to pay when the trial runs out, all of which can completely screw up windows when you attempt to remove them.
[...]

What can happen is that say 2010 is on the system, on 10 it has a thing called get office which offers you the latest or 365 to try, you do this hate it and remove it then the problems start.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Installing it is not the problem. I've seen discussions that uninstalling Office causes problems.

there was at least one restore point that we could go to and that was the one I chose. so it was picked and you go through the process to restore it. but for some reason it could not do it. There are no other restore points on the machine.

From what I go t told the copy of office 2010 was installed not taken off.

I as you have heard that sometimes a older version of office will do this i guess more maybe if unsupported. I could see if when it was installed it caused it but it should not as I have the same version here.

gene nz

On 29/08/2016 10:09 PM, Gene wrote:

You said that someone put a version of Word on the computer. Was it uninstalled at any time? I'm quite sure I've seen discussions on this list about uninstalling office causing accessibility problems.

As far as running a restore point is concerned, if office or Word was uninstalled, is there at least one restore point from a time before the uninstallation? If so, you could try running it and just leave Office on the machine.

My laptop came with a lot of stuff but I do agree with you.
I got a custom asus board to shove into a case last year and it came all assembled but no os.
When I installed the os, there was a disk of drivers and other junk I installed the drivers only.
However I have a friend that loaded everything including extras.
Sadly its things like office, games, etc, etc and security suites that get a problem going.

[...]

Yes to the browsers and programs with menus.

I will get her to download a copy of window eyes and see if i get the
same result. Hopefully we might be going up her way this week and might
be able to do it in person after the conference.

at least then also if i do need sighted help the wife can do that part
of it.

hopefully we can.

I think also i will if i do really have to take it back to factory reset
also enable it so it saves every so offen for restore points.

[...]

Never used that function but will give it a whirl hopefully today or
tomorrow when she is not busy.

Gene nz

On 29/08/2016 11:06 PM, Chris Mullins wrote:
[...]

kenny Peyatt jr. <p.wildcat1234@...>

I might do a tutorial on that after I get done with the whats new tutorial for nvda 2016.3.
Kenny Peyatt jr.

[...]

Arlene

That's awful. You should be allowed to get rid of things like office if you don’t want it or you have something already. There should never be a problem if you get rid of things you don’t want.