deleting file from downloads folder closes the downloads folder window

Dan Beaver

Has anyone else seen this? this just started happening recently but I do not know if it is NVDA or Windows 10 doing it.

Literally, I select a file in the downloads folder and then press the delete key. It does delete the file but it also closes the folder. What a pain!

I am running windows 10 most recent updates and NVDA 2016.3-RC2.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Quentin Christensen

Hi Dan,

By downloads folder, do you mean the "This PC - Downloads" folder in File Explorer, or the downloads folder in your browser?

If that latter, which browser are you using?

I'm using the latest version of Windows 10 insider build (actually correction - 14905.1000 - the latest fast build has downloaded and wants to restart my machine), NVDA 2016.3rs2 and Firefox 48.0.2 - I can't reproduce your bug at the moment, but I'll try again once windows restarts.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

If you choose the download folder as some other folder as you can in firefox, does the same thing happen in that new folder, indeed does this behaviour happen in any folder other than the one normally set as default for downloads. I have to admit I changed mine to go to a folder I created with more access privs called unimaginatively \arc
I've not hd this experience there so far.
One thing I do find a bit odd about Firefox though is that it seems to hide the downloads from previous sessions. I find this irritating as I normally open the download list in firefox and then cursor away from the current download to avoid nvda repeating the file details as it reads the percentages of downloads.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Has anyone else seen this? this just started happening recently but I do not know if it is NVDA or Windows 10 doing it.

Literally, I select a file in the downloads folder and then press the delete key. It does delete the file but it also closes the folder. What a pain!

I am running windows 10 most recent updates and NVDA 2016.3-RC2.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

I am using the anniversary update, and I noticed the other day that for some reason now File hippo web site seems to think I'm running windos 8.1.
Weird.

On Sat, Sep 3, 2016 at 6:12 AM, Dan Beaver <dbeaver888@gmail.com> wrote:

Has anyone else seen this? this just started happening recently but I do
not know if it is NVDA or Windows 10 doing it.

Literally, I select a file in the downloads folder and then press the
delete key. It does delete the file but it also closes the folder. What a
pain!

I am running windows 10 most recent updates and NVDA 2016.3-RC2.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
Basic Training for NVDA E-Book now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Dan Beaver

Hi Quinton,

Actually, I am talking about the downloads folder in the "this pc".  I don't have any trouble with my browser which is also the latest update to Firefox.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

[...]

Odd, do you ever use file explorer for other things (press Windows+e) and have you noticed any other issues?

Also which version of Windows are you running?  I'm using Rhett latest fast insider bold of Windows 10. I haven't specifically looked lately, but I know I've had various Windows, mostly settings Windows, which either don't respond or close unexpectedly in various builds. I wonder if this is something similar?

Regards

Quentin

On 4 Sep 2016 07:12, "Dan Beaver" <dbeaver888@...> wrote:

[...]

Well, I have found that if I open the downloads folder and then using the ribbons click on the delete or delete permanently buttons it works as expected and does not close the folder.

I have not found any other odd behaviors.

I am running windows 10 anniversary with all the more recent updates.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

[...]

Chris

The only time I known this to happen is when you remove a external drive memory card or flash drive but for an empty folder to do this is odd to say the least

[...]

I've been fiddling with this this morning on the Windows 10 machine, and it seems OK to me. I have found that there is still a tendency to lag in these folders making it sometimes possible to delete the incorrect file, but the folder stayed OPen for me.
This is both on next and the latest rc2.
I'm still getting the odd crash of explorer though which locks up nvda with core frozen in stack, sometimes for some minutes.
This also can occur on windows 7 though, and I suspect its a problem in windows itself.
One odd thing I do notice about deleting files on 10 is that it never asks if yyou want to delete multiple items, which seems at odds with the general nany tendency of the rest of the operating system. I suppose its easy enough to undo your last action now, but if you are not carefull you can get confused.

From: Quentin Christensen

Dan Beaver

Hi,

It is not an empty folder, I select a file first and then it happens when deleting the file using the delete key.

Dan Beaver

On 9/4/2016 5:27 AM, Chris wrote:

[...]

Does it also happen with control d or via tha context menu as well?

On 4 Sep 2016 07:12, "Dan Beaver" <dbeaver888@gmail.com
<mailto:dbeaver888@gmail.com>> wrote:

[...]

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>

Direct: +61 413 904 383 <tel:%2B61%20413%20904%20383>
Twitter: @NVAccess

Dan Beaver

Brian,

I tried the ctrl+d shortcut and it works as it should and the folder stays open.

The ribbons method of deleting files also works as it should and the folder stays open.

this problem only occurs if I select a file and then press the d key.

thanks.

Dan Beaver

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Beaver" <dbeaver888@gmail.com>

[...]

Well I cannot getyour orignal method to do anything at all, so I'm a bit confused nw. I've always used either the contaxt menu or control d for this function. Incidentally there is an add on for 10 that can make the menus non ribbon but it seems to be a w one way street, in that once its done there is nno uninstall to come back so I suspect its a registry hack, so I'll not publish details as I'll get the blame if it screws anyone up!