Topics

A friend needs info on screen readers history for her thesis

ely.r@...

Travis
Lost this thread, but now found it, wanted to send this site to you and friend.
Before Screen Readers, There had to be readers!
The site below is an auditory history of early speech synthesizers. Each sample has a brief description of who where and when it was developed. Obviously screen readers needed intelligible voices to be of any worth. It is incredible to see how far the technology developed and what approaches were used along the way.
Have fun!
Rick
http://www.festvox.org/history/klatt.html
n 9/28> And just to add to this, Window Bridge, was the first screen reader to

ever come out for windows. It came out around June of 1992. In the
beginning, their were about 10 windows products, which today, has been reduced today.
The 10 windows products that you saw in the market were:
Window Bridge
Syntha Voice, released on June 1992. Now gone.
Out Spoken for the mac and windows, Berkley systems, Alva access
group, released in 1994, now gone.

Dolphin Hal, now called Supernova
Yourdolphin.com

Screen power, Telussensory, now gone.
Artic Winvision, also gone.
ASAW, also gone.
JAWS
www.freedomscientific.com
Released January 20, 1995 First developed for DOS in 1989. Created by
Henter-Joyce, which became Freedom Scientific in 2000, which became
VFO-group in 2015.
Window-Eyes, now gone as of May 15, 2017.
Release date: October 16, 1995, until May 15, 2017.
Started out as Vocal-Eyes for DOS on February 15, 1990, Which was a
year before I was born on that same day. created by GW Micro.
Vocal-Eyes was the top DOS screen reader. Then, in 1995, GW Micro
released Window-Eyes on Monday, October 16, 1995. On January 14, GW
Micro and Microsoft released a version of Window-Eyes free with
office. This version worked with Office
2010 or up, and it came with two voices. Allowed you to purchase
DecTalk, Eloquence, Vocalizer, etc. Then, on May 1, GW Micro and AI Squared merged.
Then, on June 14, AI was acquired by VFO.

System Access:
Released date: 2005.
www.serotek.com
NVDA:
www.nvaccess.com
Release date: April 2006.
Developer: NV Access
I hope these notes help your friend with the history. Thanks, Sky.