Topics

Files not showing

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Hi, I'm just starting to use my new Win10 machine.  I copied many files and folders from my documents folder of an older machine into the documents folder under "this pc" on the new one.  Now when I go to this pc and open the documents folder, all I see is folders; no files.  I know they're in there because I was accessing them before windows did an update.  Now they don't show up.  Neither in "this pc" nor in "file explorer".--my mistake: two filenames do show, an ini file and a zip file.  When I look at properties for the folder, I see that there are 286 items in there.
What should I do to get them back?
Thanks.
Sorry; I failed to mention that I'm using the current version of NVDA.  But the demo of jaws doesn't see the files either.
Howard

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Try searching for the files using Windows search feature.

Maybe they somehow did not end up where you expect.

Also refreshing the file explorer window with f5 sometimes seems to help. But that’s probably not going to help you as you say you already opened the explorer window to your new folder *after* copying the files.

You could try other things. Go to where you think the documents ended up on the c (or whatever) drive and check the properties. Does it show space used by the folder? If it says “0 bytes”, it’s possible the files did not even copy.

I’ve never had files physically disappear after a windows update, but it’s possible something is screwed up with the documents library. You should still be able to access the actual documents folder. Maybe open the run box and type in the path to your personal documents folder and see what happens. In my case it would be “c:\users\jm\documents”.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: September 30, 2018 3:05 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Files not showing

Hi, I'm just starting to use my new Win10 machine.  I copied many files and folders from my documents folder of an older machine into the documents folder under "this pc" on the new one.  Now when I go to this pc and open the documents folder, all I see is folders; no files.  I know they're in there because I was accessing them before windows did an update.  Now they don't show up.  Neither in "this pc" nor in "file explorer".--my mistake: two filenames do show, an ini file and a zip file.  When I look at properties for the folder, I see that there are 286 items in there.
Thanks.
Sorry; I failed to mention that I'm using the current version of NVDA.  But the demo of jaws doesn't see the files either.

Howard

Gene

Consider the most simple possibility first.  Someone who uses Windows 10 can tell you how to do this.  Set Windows to show hidden files.  perhaps the files became hidden when the update occurred. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2018 2:10 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Files not showing

Also refreshing the file explorer window with f5 sometimes seems to help. But that’s probably not going to help you as you say you already opened the explorer window to your new folder *after* copying the files.

You could try other things. Go to where you think the documents ended up on the c (or whatever) drive and check the properties. Does it show space used by the folder? If it says “0 bytes”, it’s possible the files did not even copy.

I’ve never had files physically disappear after a windows update, but it’s possible something is screwed up with the documents library. You should still be able to access the actual documents folder. Maybe open the run box and type in the path to your personal documents folder and see what happens. In my case it would be “c:\users\jm\documents”.

Thanks.

Howard

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think first you need to work out definitely that the files are in that folder, not a sub folder of it.. I have never heard of anything like this happening before, so if there are issues it may pay you to revert back to the previous windows 10. You did not say what sort of update it was either. Seldom do the routine updates cause problems its usually the big one like the one due in a few days time that are, I suspect designed to annoy users :-)

I'd also look at making extensions visible too and even system files. You can always change these if you like but it would be interesting to try an explicit operation like typing the complete pathname and file name into the run box and see if the default program can see and load the file.

If it can then it has to be a displaying issue.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2018 10:48 PM

Consider the most simple possibility first. Someone who uses Windows 10 can tell you how to do this. Set Windows to show hidden files. perhaps the files became hidden when the update occurred.

Gene

Hi, I'm just starting to use my new Win10 machine. I copied many files and folders from my documents folder of an older machine into the documents folder under "this pc" on the new one. Now when I go to this pc and open the documents folder, all I see is folders; no files. I know they're in there because I was accessing them before windows did an update. Now they don't show up. Neither in "this pc" nor in "file explorer".--my mistake: two filenames do show, an ini file and a zip file. When I look at properties for the folder, I see that there are 286 items in there.
Thanks.
Sorry; I failed to mention that I'm using the current version of NVDA. But the demo of jaws doesn't see the files either.

Howard

In the properties control on the Documents folder, it shows 286 files but when displaying the folder I see 13 subfolders and only two files; an ini file and a zip file.  Yes, I did start to put files into the folders I created for them but I didn't get very many moved.  When I look at the subfolders, all the files that I moved do show up in there.  I don't remember file names so I can't very well do a search. 

I don't know what kind of an update it did.  When I shut it down, it said it would do an update and then shut down.  I didn't get a choice.  Maybe there's a place where I can roll back to before the update; kind of like a restore point in xp.

Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2018 4:48 PM

Consider the most simple possibility first.  Someone who uses Windows 10 can tell you how to do this.  Set Windows to show hidden files.  perhaps the files became hidden when the update occurred. 

Gene

Thanks.

Howard

Gene

You don't change this setting in properties.  There is a specific setting to tell Windows to show hidden files.  there may be another to tell Windows to show system files.  Since the files appear to be there, they may be hidden or, less likely, have been incorrectly designated as system files.

Gene

Sent: Monday, October 01, 2018 9:53 AM

In the properties control on the Documents folder, it shows 286 files but when displaying the folder I see 13 subfolders and only two files; an ini file and a zip file.  Yes, I did start to put files into the folders I created for them but I didn't get very many moved.  When I look at the subfolders, all the files that I moved do show up in there.  I don't remember file names so I can't very well do a search. 

I don't know what kind of an update it did.  When I shut it down, it said it would do an update and then shut down.  I didn't get a choice.  Maybe there's a place where I can roll back to before the update; kind of like a restore point in xp.

Gene

Thanks.

Howard

How to be stupid:

Of course, I wouldn't make a mistake and put all my files into one of those subfolders? hahaha!  So, when I looked into those subfolders, there they were.

See my next message for the next stupid mistake.

Thanks to all who tried to help.
Howard

Sent: Monday, October 01, 2018 9:56 AM

You don't change this setting in properties.  There is a specific setting to tell Windows to show hidden files.  there may be another to tell Windows to show system files.  Since the files appear to be there, they may be hidden or, less likely, have been incorrectly designated as system files.

Gene

Gene

Thanks.

Howard

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

*grins*

It happens.

Glad you found your files.

Sent: October 3, 2018 12:55 PM

How to be stupid:

Of course, I wouldn't make a mistake and put all my files into one of those subfolders? hahaha!  So, when I looked into those subfolders, there they were.

See my next message for the next stupid mistake.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

Howard

Sent: Monday, October 01, 2018 9:56 AM

Gene

Gene

Thanks.

Howard

Tony Ballou

Hi,

Howard, if this is windows version 1809, unfortunately the files may be gone.  Have you attempted to unzip the file since it tells you that there are 286 items in there overall?

Folks have been talking about this phenomenon on the list lately and I believe there's an article about it up here somewhere, however, I haven't found the message with the link to it in my mass of emails. So if anyone could repost that article, it would be appreciated. 

Just the other night my business partner told me that folks were losing their data after upgrading from 1803 to 1809.  And in one such case a user lost over 250 Gigs of data. So it would appear that the first thing you'd want to do before upgrading to windows 1809 would be to backup your c:\users\documents folder, and any other folders where you have documents and things that you feel are important to an external drive. 

Tony

On 9/30/2018 3:05 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Thanks.
Howard