Moving in Notepad

kelby carlson

All,

I can't seem to move by paragraph in Notepad. When I press ctrl-down
arrow I just get the same line that I'm currently on.

Andre Fisher

That functionality is not available in Notepad with any screen
readers. It is meant to be used as a basic text editor.

On 9/6/16, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com> wrote:
All,

I can't seem to move by paragraph in Notepad. When I press ctrl-down
arrow I just get the same line that I'm currently on.

kelby carlson

I can do it with JAWS just fine and have always been able to.

On 9/6/16, Andre Fisher <andrefisher729@gmail.com> wrote:
That functionality is not available in Notepad with any screen
readers. It is meant to be used as a basic text editor.

On 9/6/16, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com> wrote:
All,

I can't seem to move by paragraph in Notepad. When I press ctrl-down
arrow I just get the same line that I'm currently on.

Quentin Christensen

Has this ever worked?  To be honest, I couldn't remember - I just tried it on my Windows 10 machine​ AND a Windows 7 machine and got the same behavour as you - it doesn't move at all.

I just checked, and the control+right arrow I mentioned somewhere in this thread / group to a question does work in Notepad.

Quentin Christensen

Are you definitely in Notepad when this works with Jaws Kelby - I don't have Jaws to try but I just tried control+up arrow and control+down arrow in Notepad on both Windows 10 and Windows 7 with and without NVDA running and it didn't move.  Therefore I would assume, if it doesn't work in those conditions but does work when Jaws is running, perhaps Jaws is implementing it in Notepad?

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

kelby carlson

I know it works in JAWS; I don't know if that is a specifically
JAWS-implemented feature or not. Helpful to know this, though.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 9:52 AM, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com>
wrote:

I can do it with JAWS just fine and have always been able to.

On 9/6/16, Andre Fisher <andrefisher729@gmail.com> wrote:
That functionality is not available in Notepad with any screen
readers. It is meant to be used as a basic text editor.

On 9/6/16, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com> wrote:
All,

I can't seem to move by paragraph in Notepad. When I press ctrl-down
arrow I just get the same line that I'm currently on.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
Basic Training for NVDA E-Book now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

JAWS uses scripts for this purpose.  The script looks for a blank line and moves you beyond it.  If you are using a screen-reader that is not scripted to do this, it moves you to the next line by looking for one return.  That is my recollection anyway.  In your case, you say you stay on the current line so perhaps my recollection is wrong.  but whatever the case, NVDA doesn't behave like JAWS in notepad.

Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Moving in Notepad

I can do it with JAWS just fine and have always been able to.

On 9/6/16, Andre Fisher <andrefisher729@...> wrote:
> That functionality is not available in Notepad with any screen
> readers. It is meant to be used as a basic text editor.
>
> On 9/6/16, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@...> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I can't seem to move by paragraph in Notepad. When I press ctrl-down
>> arrow I just get the same line that I'm currently on.

John Sanfilippo <john.sanfilippo@...>

If you want to try another editor, I know for sure that Jamal Mazrui's EdSharp Moves by paragraph when you press control up or down arrow.  (Free program, empowermentzone.com, look for edsetup.exe.)

I'd like to be able to move by sentence too, but that seems available only if you're using NVDA with Word.

John S

Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 6:52 PM

I can do it with JAWS just fine and have always been able to.

On 9/6/16, Andre Fisher <andrefisher729@...> wrote:
> That functionality is not available in Notepad with any screen
> readers. It is meant to be used as a basic text editor.
>
> On 9/6/16, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@...> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I can't seem to move by paragraph in Notepad. When I press ctrl-down
>> arrow I just get the same line that I'm currently on.

hi.
how this feature work on notepad plus plus?
God bless you.

<mailto:kelbycarlson@gmail.com>> wrote:
All,

I can't seem to move by paragraph in Notepad. When I press ctrl-down
arrow I just get the same line that I'm currently on.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
al-islam.org

Quentin Christensen

Hi Nasrin,

I didn't mention in my earlier message, but I did try in Notepad++ and control+up arrow and control+down arrow don't move between paragraphs in that program either, although they do at least move up and down by one line.

They do work in Word and also in WordPad.

Regards

Quentin.

On 9/7/16, John Sanfilippo <john.sanfilippo@...> wrote:
> If you want to try another editor, I know for sure that Jamal Mazrui's
> EdSharp Moves by paragraph when you press control up or down arrow.
> (Free program, empowermentzone.com, look for edsetup.exe.)
>

> I'd like to be able to move by sentence too, but that seems available
> only if you're using NVDA with Word.
>

> John S
>

> On 9/6/16 22:49, Gene wrote:
>> JAWS uses scripts for this purpose.  The script looks for a blank line
>> and moves you beyond it.  If you are using a screen-reader that is not
>> scripted to do this, it moves you to the next line by looking for one
>> return.  That is my recollection anyway.  In your case, you say you
>> stay on the current line so perhaps my recollection is wrong.  but
>> whatever the case, NVDA doesn't behave like JAWS in notepad.
>> Gene

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Hello Everyone

I experience the same problem in Notepad, so I usually read .txt documents in Word.

As a result of the not being able to read by paragraph problem, it is impossible to select by paragraph as well.

I have not tried this with JAWS since the upgrade to Windows 10, but as far as I can remember, JAWS read paragraphs in Notepad on my Windows 7 Laptop.  Note that this was with JAWS 14 before August last year.  However, selecting in Notepad has almost always been a pain.

Reading by Character, by line and by word still works though.

Kind regards

Heaven Botma

Dosent: Kaleidoskoop Opleidingskollege

Lecturer: Kaleidoscope Training College

T: 023 348 7634

C: 063 692 2573

F: 023 348 7633

E: heaven@...

W: www.kaleidoscopesa.org

Adderleystraat 20 Adderley Street

Posbus 233 P.O. Box, Worcester, 6849

Are you definitely in Notepad when this works with Jaws Kelby - I don't have Jaws to try but I just tried control+up arrow and control+down arrow in Notepad on both Windows 10 and Windows 7 with and without NVDA running and it didn't move.  Therefore I would assume, if it doesn't work in those conditions but does work when Jaws is running, perhaps Jaws is implementing it in Notepad?

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 9:52 AM, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@...> wrote:

I can do it with JAWS just fine and have always been able to.

On 9/6/16, Andre Fisher <andrefisher729@...> wrote:
> That functionality is not available in Notepad with any screen
> readers. It is meant to be used as a basic text editor.
>
> On 9/6/16, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@...> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I can't seem to move by paragraph in Notepad. When I press ctrl-down
>> arrow I just get the same line that I'm currently on.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Felix G.

Hi,
this should be fairly easy to script for NVDA as well. Yesterday I thought about what would be a good first app module to write, as a little spare time programming exercise. Seems the universe responded. Mind you that's not to say I'm going to get around to it any time soon. The promise is informal at best and probably best considered nonexistent.
Greetings,
Felix

Heaven Botma <heaven@...> schrieb am Mi., 7. Sep. 2016 um 07:45 Uhr:

Hello Everyone

I experience the same problem in Notepad, so I usually read .txt documents in Word.

As a result of the not being able to read by paragraph problem, it is impossible to select by paragraph as well.

I have not tried this with JAWS since the upgrade to Windows 10, but as far as I can remember, JAWS read paragraphs in Notepad on my Windows 7 Laptop.  Note that this was with JAWS 14 before August last year.  However, selecting in Notepad has almost always been a pain.

Reading by Character, by line and by word still works though.

Kind regards

kaleidoscope logo

Heaven Botma

Dosent: Kaleidoskoop Opleidingskollege

Lecturer: Kaleidoscope Training College

T: 023 348 7634

C: 063 692 2573

F: 023 348 7633

E: heaven@...

W: www.kaleidoscopesa.org

Adderleystraat 20 Adderley Street

Posbus 233 P.O. Box, Worcester, 6849

facebook2 twitter instagram

Are you definitely in Notepad when this works with Jaws Kelby - I don't have Jaws to try but I just tried control+up arrow and control+down arrow in Notepad on both Windows 10 and Windows 7 with and without NVDA running and it didn't move.  Therefore I would assume, if it doesn't work in those conditions but does work when Jaws is running, perhaps Jaws is implementing it in Notepad?

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 9:52 AM, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@...> wrote:

I can do it with JAWS just fine and have always been able to.

On 9/6/16, Andre Fisher <andrefisher729@...> wrote:
> That functionality is not available in Notepad with any screen
> readers. It is meant to be used as a basic text editor.
>
> On 9/6/16, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@...> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I can't seem to move by paragraph in Notepad. When I press ctrl-down
>> arrow I just get the same line that I'm currently on.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

You don't say what kinds of files you are working with in Word and Wordpad.  Notepad is a text editor.  it only creates text files.  Wordpad and Word are word processors.  they can indicate formatting in other ways than in Notepad.

Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 12:33 AM

Hi Nasrin,

I didn't mention in my earlier message, but I did try in Notepad++ and control+up arrow and control+down arrow don't move between paragraphs in that program either, although they do at least move up and down by one line.

They do work in Word and also in WordPad.

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 3:16 PM, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
hi.
how this feature work on notepad plus plus?
God bless you.

On 9/7/16, John Sanfilippo <john.sanfilippo@...> wrote:
> If you want to try another editor, I know for sure that Jamal Mazrui's
> EdSharp Moves by paragraph when you press control up or down arrow.
> (Free program, empowermentzone.com, look for edsetup.exe.)
>

> I'd like to be able to move by sentence too, but that seems available
> only if you're using NVDA with Word.
>

> John S
>

> On 9/6/16 22:49, Gene wrote:
>> JAWS uses scripts for this purpose.  The script looks for a blank line
>> and moves you beyond it.  If you are using a screen-reader that is not
>> scripted to do this, it moves you to the next line by looking for one
>> return.  That is my recollection anyway.  In your case, you say you
>> stay on the current line so perhaps my recollection is wrong.  but
>> whatever the case, NVDA doesn't behave like JAWS in notepad.
>> Gene

David Moore

Hi,
You can tell Word Pad to open when a .TXT file is entered on instead of Notepad opening it. Go to default programs in the Control panel. You can associate a .TXT file to open in Word pad. That is what I do, and I never have to use Note Pad.
David Moore

You don't say what kinds of files you are working with in Word and Wordpad.  Notepad is a text editor.  it only creates text files.  Wordpad and Word are word processors.  they can indicate formatting in other ways than in Notepad.

I didn't mention in my earlier message, but I did try in Notepad++ and control+up arrow and control+down arrow don't move between paragraphs in that program either, although they do at least move up and down by one line.

They do work in Word and also in WordPad.

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 3:16 PM, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
hi.
how this feature work on notepad plus plus?
God bless you.

On 9/7/16, John Sanfilippo <john.sanfilippo@...> wrote:
> If you want to try another editor, I know for sure that Jamal Mazrui's
> EdSharp Moves by paragraph when you press control up or down arrow.
> (Free program, empowermentzone.com, look for edsetup.exe.)
>

> I'd like to be able to move by sentence too, but that seems available
> only if you're using NVDA with Word.
>

> John S
>

> On 9/6/16 22:49, Gene wrote:
>> JAWS uses scripts for this purpose.  The script looks for a blank line
>> and moves you beyond it.  If you are using a screen-reader that is not
>> scripted to do this, it moves you to the next line by looking for one
>> return.  That is my recollection anyway.  In your case, you say you
>> stay on the current line so perhaps my recollection is wrong.  but
>> whatever the case, NVDA doesn't behave like JAWS in notepad.
>> Gene

hi Quentin.
thanks so much again for your help.
could you please guide me how to increase accessibility in notepad plus plus?
i have some issues with it, for example when i write something,
replace it with something and press replace all nvda does not say the
result!
God bless you.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 3:16 PM, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com>
wrote:

hi.
how this feature work on notepad plus plus?
God bless you.

On 9/7/16, John Sanfilippo <john.sanfilippo@verizon.net> wrote:
> If you want to try another editor, I know for sure that Jamal Mazrui's
> EdSharp Moves by paragraph when you press control up or down arrow.
> (Free program, empowermentzone.com, look for edsetup.exe.)
>

> I'd like to be able to move by sentence too, but that seems available
> only if you're using NVDA with Word.
>

> John S
>

> On 9/6/16 22:49, Gene wrote:
>> JAWS uses scripts for this purpose. The script looks for a blank line
>> and moves you beyond it. If you are using a screen-reader that is not
>> scripted to do this, it moves you to the next line by looking for one
>> return. That is my recollection anyway. In your case, you say you
>> stay on the current line so perhaps my recollection is wrong. but
>> whatever the case, NVDA doesn't behave like JAWS in notepad.
>> Gene

I must confess, I haven't used Notepad++ much lately - I downloaded it when I setup this machine as I have used it on and off for years, but then haven't happened to use it since I've had the machine setup.  I'll have to have more of a look at it and get back to you, unless anyone else in the group has tips on setting it up currently?