Trouble installing 2016.3

Robert Kingett <kingettspeaks@...>

I am having a problem downloading NVDA 2016.3 version on windows 10 64 bit.

when I download through NVDA it downloads but does not install.
when I try to run the setup file manually nothing happens, at all, not even an UAC message or something.

when I try to update via Ninite it says the update is not supported.

when I try to install NVDA with ninite after uninstalling it, Ninite gives me an access is denied error.

Idid have AVG but uninstalled it. I realized the other day there are still backround processes running even though I uninstalled it with Revo uninstaller making sure to delete all the leftover files, then going in to regedit and deleting the entire AVG category... but it still will not install. Older versions work just fine. It is just 2016.3 that will not work.

I am currently using 2016.1. I have AVG uninstalled, as well as AVAST.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Does it install from the official download OK?
 I gather you are using that site that bundles stuff together, if its any consolation i never did get that to work reliably for anything. I'm going to put on the win 10 machine and try updating a portable version of an older copy and will let you know what happens.
 brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 5:29 PM
Subject: [nvda] Trouble installing 2016.3

[...]

No trouble here with the installer from nvaccess here it seems.

Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 5:29 PM

[...]

I downloaded a portable version onto a flash drive and tried to run it on the problematic windows 10 machine. the NVDA sound boots up but then the windows error sound plays but no error dialogue box. NVDA automatically closes and does not restart.

Gene

You don't have to remove antivirus programs if they cause installation problems.  To make things much easier in future, you can learn to disable the program temporarily.  Some programs require that antivirus programs be inactive during installation.  I have never heard of NVDA requiring such and if your antivirus program were blocking it, you should be notified by the program.

I don't know why you are having this problem but I'm trying to prevent you from doing a lot of unnecessary work in future if you think your antivirus program is causing a problem.

Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 11:29 AM

I am having a problem downloading NVDA 2016.3 version on windows 10 64 bit.

when I download through NVDA it downloads but does not install.
when I try to run the setup file manually nothing happens, at all, not even an UAC message or something.

when I try to update via Ninite it says the update is not supported.

when I try to install NVDA with ninite after uninstalling it, Ninite gives me an access is denied error.

Idid have AVG but uninstalled it. I realized the other day there are still backround processes running even though I uninstalled it with Revo uninstaller making sure to delete all the leftover files, then going in to regedit and deleting the entire AVG category... but it still will not install. Older versions work just fine. It is just 2016.3 that will not work.

I am currently using 2016.1. I have AVG uninstalled, as well as AVAST.

Chris Mullins

You should use the AVG uninstall tool to completely remove AVG.  AVG objected to one of the UIA modules when I first installed NVDA but it gave me the option to allow the installation and I have had no problems since.  I too am using W10 64-bit

Cheers

Chris

Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 11:29 AM

[...]

I tried to uninstall it with Revo uninstaller, making sure all the leftover files were deleted, but processes still start when I boot up my computer. will safe mode disable these processes so that, perhaps, I can finally get rid if it completely? Maybe that is causing the issue? I still do not understand why the portable version does not run, at all.

Gene

It makes no sense to uninstall an antivirus program if it interferes with installing NVDA or any other program.  You can exclude antivirus programs from monitoring certain files or certain folders.  You can temporarily turn off protection while installing.  Some programs specifically tell you to disable your antivirus program while installing.  My scanner software instructed me to turn off whatever antivirus program I might be running during installation.  For a time, my antivirus program saw one or more files in System Access to Go as malicious because of false positives.  I excluded the program from being monitored by my antivirus program.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 1:52 PM

Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 11:29 AM

I am having a problem downloading NVDA 2016.3 version on windows 10 64 bit.

when I download through NVDA it downloads but does not install.
when I try to run the setup file manually nothing happens, at all, not even an UAC message or something.

when I try to update via Ninite it says the update is not supported.

when I try to install NVDA with ninite after uninstalling it, Ninite gives me an access is denied error.

Idid have AVG but uninstalled it. I realized the other day there are still backround processes running even though I uninstalled it with Revo uninstaller making sure to delete all the leftover files, then going in to regedit and deleting the entire AVG category... but it still will not install. Older versions work just fine. It is just 2016.3 that will not work.

I am currently using 2016.1. I have AVG uninstalled, as well as AVAST.

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Was the portable version working before? and did you have a shortcut hot key to start it?

I am wondering also if you have the synth set to no speech? When you go to start up the portable version do you get the start up sound? or is it quiet?
If it is set to no speech you can use the nvda key + the letter S to toggle it from no speech to speak.

What synth were you using? when nvda stopped talking. Maybe it might not be supported and buggy.

Whic version of windows are you using? is it windows 10?

If so it might be a good idea to fully remove the installer version of NVDA if it is not working.

You should be able to use narrator to go into the control panel section you are looking for program features  i can not think of the rest of the name go into it then locate teh nvda part in the list then uninstall it.

then after that the pc might have to be rebooted.

When windows start up again if you do not know the shortcut key to start narrator is the windows key + the enter key. When he starts then use the windows key again with the letter R to bring up the run dialouge then type %appdata% then press the enter key. There will be a selection of settings there in folders for your programs. Locate the one that says nvda then delete it out. Then close the screen with the alt and f4 key. Not sure if you have to reboot again, but then it is a matter of installing NVDA again to the pc. You should be able to use narrator to get nvda installed.
I am wondering if the nvda.ini file got corrupted.

Usually the above steps will fix the problem.

the other thing that might come to mind is it bringing up a UAC screen and if so either tab to the yes button then press the enter key or use the alt key + the letter y to say yes to this screen.

Some times a anti virus program can stop it from installing thinking it is a virus but it does not do it with my windws defender.

I wonder also if you put NVDA to sleep when it was running? If so and you know it was started, you could use the nvda key + the shift key + the letter s..
On 8/09/2016 7:46 AM, Robert Kingett wrote:

I tried to uninstall it with Revo uninstaller, making sure all the leftover files were deleted, but processes still start when I boot up my computer. will safe mode disable these processes so that, perhaps, I can finally get rid if it completely? Maybe that is causing the issue? I still do not understand why the portable version does not run, at all.

Christo Vorster

Good morning

I experienced similar problems with other applications. The only way I could solve such problems was by uninstalling some of the antivirus programs. Software experts told me not to run more than one antivirus program because the antivirus programs often see each other as a virus. Currently I am using Windows Defender on both my laptop and desktop, and it works wel for me.

Regards

Christo (Worcester, South Africa)

I am having a problem downloading NVDA 2016.3 version on windows 10 64 bit.

when I download through NVDA it downloads but does not install.
when I try to run the setup file manually nothing happens, at all, not even an UAC message or something.

when I try to update via Ninite it says the update is not supported.

when I try to install NVDA with ninite after uninstalling it, Ninite gives me an access is denied error.

Idid have AVG but uninstalled it. I realized the other day there are still backround processes running even though I uninstalled it with Revo uninstaller making sure to delete all the leftover files, then going in to regedit and deleting the entire AVG category... but it still will not install. Older versions work just fine. It is just 2016.3 that will not work.

I am currently using 2016.1. I have AVG uninstalled, as well as AVAST.

Could this be some permissions issue on the machine, after all portable versions are by their nature not allowed to access some screens, and if an into virus or some other protection is active it is going to be hard to find the problem. I'd suggest enabling narrator before trying it again to get a look at the screens being shown and also have a look at any log file generated.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
[...]

Never use revo to try to uninstall avg, and potentially other ant virus software, as they are often protected against such tools. Only their own uninstallers will work.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I tried to uninstall it with Revo uninstaller, making sure all the leftover files were deleted, but processes still start when I boot up my computer. will safe mode disable these processes so that, perhaps, I can finally get rid if it completely? Maybe that is causing the issue? I still do not understand why the portable version does not run, at all.

Gene

I'm not sure about this but I think the tools must often be run in safe mode.  In this case, all of this trouble can be avoided if you learn how to turn off protection before trying to install NVDA.  And I'm skeptical that AVG has anything to do with the problem.  Isn't it reasonable to expect that if a widely used antivirus program such as AVG were blocking the installation, many other comments would have been sent to the list from users having the problem, even if they didn't know what the cause is?  It's unfortunate that no one has explained how to disable protection in AVG.  Perhaps joining another list might yield better results concerning getting information about that program.  But not knowing how to temporarily turn off protection for whatever antivirus program one is using is a serious deficiency in knowledge and may cause serious problems, depending on the situation. And knowing how to tell the antivirus program not to monitor one or more files or folders is also important knowledge.