Beeping driving me mad

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

                Hi,

I have tried every setting that I can find but the beeping every time I hit tab or switch to a different screen is maddening. How can I turn this off? What setting controls this behaviour in NVDA?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Did you check to see if this happens only when NVDA is being used?  I am not aware of any such setting in NVDA.  Whether any add-on may cause such behavior or have a setting that does, I don't know.  If you haven't done so, test with NVDA running and add-ons disabled and, if you still have the behavior, test using a different screen-reader.

Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2018 5:43 AM
Subject: [nvda] Beeping driving me mad

                Hi,

I have tried every setting that I can find but the beeping every time I hit tab or switch to a different screen is maddening. How can I turn this off? What setting controls this behaviour in NVDA?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Jacob Kruger

Do you have the object location tones add-on installed?

If so, disable, or uninstall it, and, see if that makes a difference?

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile...but, acdceptance is versatile..."
On 2018-10-04 12:43 PM, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

Hi,

I have tried every setting that I can find but the beeping every time I
hit tab or switch to a different screen is maddening. How can I turn
this off? What setting controls this behaviour in NVDA?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Gene,

Just to improve your knowledge of NVDA, I can assure you that there are many beep related settings in NVDA. However, I have just found the particular add-on is the Object Location Tones add-on. I have disabled it and now all is quiet and pleasant again!

Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2018 5:43 AM

                Hi,

I have tried every setting that I can find but the beeping every time I hit tab or switch to a different screen is maddening. How can I turn this off? What setting controls this behaviour in NVDA?

All the best,

Cearbhall

I didn't say there are no beep-related settings.  I said I am unaware of such a setting that does what you describe, that is, beep every time you tab and alt tab.

Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2018 5:43 AM

                Hi,

I have tried every setting that I can find but the beeping every time I hit tab or switch to a different screen is maddening. How can I turn this off? What setting controls this behaviour in NVDA?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

If its anything like the 3D sounds one, you can configure it so only events you want to make a noise.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I have tried every setting that I can find but the beeping every time I hit
tab or switch to a different screen is maddening. How can I turn this off?
What setting controls this behaviour in NVDA?

All the best,

Cearbhall

<mailto:cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie>

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I've never used it myself. Surelyit should able to selectively make anoise, ie when you need to locate objects.

On 2018-10-04 12:43 PM, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

Hi,

I have tried every setting that I can find but the beeping every time I
hit tab or switch to a different screen is maddening. How can I turn
this off? What setting controls this behaviour in NVDA?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Ah, this shows I need to be careful with Add-on Updater…

This is caused by Object Location Tones. To turn beeps off, you need to disable this add-on.

Note that this add-on could have qualified as “proof of concept” if it came out this year, as I wrote a pull request in NVDA itself that’ll let you hear location tones when you move focus, use object navigation commands, or both. Because Object Location Tones came out last year, it doesn’t really qualify, but it might later. And, yes, I wrote Object Location Tones add-on, and apologies for inconvenience caused by this add-on.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2018 5:43 AM

                Hi,

I have tried every setting that I can find but the beeping every time I hit tab or switch to a different screen is maddening. How can I turn this off? What setting controls this behaviour in NVDA?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Joseph,

I am so sorry to have caused such a fuss! I don’’t need the object location tones myself, but, since you have created the tool, It is obvious that others do need them. I had such trouble finding what was causing the beeps that I became really agitated. As soon as I disabled the Object location tones add-on all was well.

I appreciate the great work that you do.