From: Robert Doc Wright godfearer
Sent: 05 October 2018 16:36
To: NVDA
Subject: [nvda] google chrome

When i click a link and go to another page I cannot alt+left arrow to get back to the previous page. it just sits there no matter how many times i repeat the command.

Also works for me.  If restarting Chrome doesn't fix it, and restarting the machine still doesn't fix it, I'd completely uninstall and reinstall Chrome.

           ~ Bertrand Russell

Greg Wocher

Hello,
It sounds like your links are opening up in a new tab. The next time this happens try pressing control plus tab to see if that takes you back to the original page.

Greg Wocher

On Oct 5, 2018, at 11:36 AM, Robert Doc Wright godfearer <godfearer@...> wrote:

When i click a link and go to another page I cannot alt+left arrow to get back to the previous page. it just sits there no matter how many times i repeat the command.

Chris Mullins

Hi

This has been a problem with Chrome for a while now.  I have stopped using Chrome because of this and I have used the feedback function to report the problem but nothing has been done.

Perhaps if they get more reports about this broken functionality they may do something about it.

Cheers

Chris

When i click a link and go to another page I cannot alt+left arrow to get back to the previous page. it just sits there no matter how many times i repeat the command.

Brian's Mail list account

That depends on the way the page is designed. Many pages stop you going back which is one reason tabbed browsing was invented of course.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

When i click a link and go to another page I cannot alt+left arrow to get back to the previous page. it just sits there no matter how many times i repeat the command.

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

I was fine until the latest win10 update.

When i click a link and go to another page I cannot alt+left arrow to get back to the previous page. it just sits there no matter how many times i repeat the command.

Richard Wells

I had a strange situation this morning where I was doing stuff with NVDA and Chrome and I SHIFT+TABBED and ended up on the address bar. That would have been fine, but I couldn't get back to what I was writing in Facebook. F6? TAB? SHIFT+TAB? Nothing worked! When others experience this, is there a magic key combination to get back to the web page? The only way I got back into what I was writing was by moving my finger around on the mouse pad until I heard something on the page and did an actual left-click on the physical mouse and the page came back in focus.

On 10/5/2018 11:40 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Also works for me.  If restarting Chrome doesn't fix it, and restarting the machine still doesn't fix it, I'd completely uninstall and reinstall Chrome.

           ~ Bertrand Russell

René Linke <rene.linke@...>

I have no problems with Google Chrome here, using Version 69.0.3497.100 (Offical Build) (64 Bit).

Gene

I'm not sure why that is but the work around is easy and very effective and efficient.  Use either control enter or shift enter.  Control enter opens the link in a new tab.  To close the tab containing the new page, use the command control f4.  That returns you to the tab you were in previously, containing the previous page and closes the tab you are currently in.  Or shift enter does a similar thing.  It opens the new page in a new window.  To close the new window and return to the previous window containing the previous page, use alt f4.  I don't know if one is faster than the other to open and close new pages.  You may want to compare.

As I think about it, I suspect the reason you can't use the back command currently is that all new pages may be opening in new tabs.  So the first option I discussed may be occurring automatically at this time.  But to make sure that whatever option you want always happens using one of the commands I gave, control or shift enter, might be the most reliable method.

If you wish, you can see what is happening when you just press enter by seeing if more than one tab is opened after following a link with just enter.  The command to move among opened tabs is control tab.  Alt tab is the way to move among more than one opened browser window if you want to do that when using shift enter to open a new window instead of a new tab.

Sent: Friday, October 05, 2018 10:36 AM
To: NVDA

When i click a link and go to another page I cannot alt+left arrow to get back to the previous page. it just sits there no matter how many times i repeat the command.

Clarissa Mitchell

This happens to me sometimes on Chrome as well, usually when I do a
Google search. I'll click on a result, read the article, and when I
try to go back to the search results, I find I'm still on the same
page. I go back again and I'm back to the Google search results.

I was fine until the latest win10 update.
When i click a link and go to another page I cannot alt+left arrow to get
back to the previous page. it just sits there no matter how many times i
repeat the command.

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

What i have been having to do is: make sure my cursor is sitting on text and not a link, alt+leftArrow and then press the applications key and back shows up there and I enter on it.

Sent: Friday, October 05, 2018 10:36 AM
To: NVDA

When i click a link and go to another page I cannot alt+left arrow to get back to the previous page. it just sits there no matter how many times i repeat the command.

Gene

You may continue to do that, of course if you wish, but it's much more efficient and pleasant to just use the methods I've discussed.
And there are some sites, referred to as mouse traps, that don't let you go back intentionally.  using the methods I gave keeps you from being caught in one.

Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2018 1:39 AM

Sent: Friday, October 05, 2018 10:36 AM
To: NVDA

When i click a link and go to another page I cannot alt+left arrow to get back to the previous page. it just sits there no matter how many times i repeat the command.

Kenny <kwashingtonbox@...>

This is true. Sometimes there would be an alert notification asking you: Are you sure you want to leave this page? If you don't respond to that prompt, you're not going anywhere. NVDA doesn't tell you when one discretely pops up. Maybe it's due to how Chrome displays them.

Wish there was a way to disable those stupid alerts for I'm not so old that I don't realize if I want to leave a page or not.

On 10/5/2018 2:48 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
That depends on the way the page is designed. Many pages stop you going back which is one reason tabbed browsing was invented of  course.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-