Using Macrium Reflect Version 7 to Take A Full System Image Backup

There has been much discussion on several groups about an entirely accessible backup utility with regard to actually taking a full system image backup.  I have yet to find a backup and recovery utility that is 100% accessible in all respects, but Macrium Reflect, Version 7, is 100% accessible for creating a full system image backup for "the typical user" who keeps the typical disc arrangement under Windows where all OS files and user data files are on the C: drive.

Given what's been happening over the last several days with the Windows 10 Version 1809 feature update it is really critical to take a full system image backup before it is applied.

Here's the link to download the step-by-step instructions, along with notes about setting things up, in MS-Word format:

Using Macrium Reflect With a Screen Reader To Take a Full System Image Backup

You should be presented with a Save dialog shortly after activating the link.

I went through this process from beginning to end using NVDA to control everything.  I cannot imagine that things should be different in JAWS and possibly even Narrator.  If there are any significant differences that you encounter please share them on this topic.

           ~ Bertrand Russell

René Linke

Hi,

Here's another very good accessible image backup tool for full and incremental backups.
It is very small, powerful and very fast.

http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

René

Brian's Mail list account

One does have to be careful with some of these. Unless you have successfully restored with one be careful not to burn your bridges, as the only way, as far as I know to do this is to do it outside of any windows environment totally.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Here's another very good accessible image backup tool for full and incremental backups.
It is very small, powerful and very fast.

http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

René

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

You might check out Casper. I used it to clone my C drive to an SSD drive and it worked flawlessly with no accessibility hiccups.

[...]

Most restores are for recovery from drive failure of some sort, so you are correct that they occur outside the normal Windows environment.  Most use Windows PE as part of that, but Windows PE is not Windows.

One also generally has to tweak UEFI/BIOS to change the default boot order, which is also inaccessible.

Hence the reason I state I am not concerned with the recovery part.  You will need an assistant if you're recovering from hardware failure or something like a terribly botched update as it involves doing things where no screen reader support is available.

           ~ Bertrand Russell

Mobeen Iqbal

Hi.

Image for windows and clone zilla are also excellent tools and fully accessible.

Cheers,

Mo.

On 06/10/2018 08:27, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:

[...]

Kevin Cussick

I use this all the time, and like it.

On 06/10/2018 04:28, René Linke wrote:
Hi,
Here's another very good accessible image backup tool for full and incremental backups.
It is very small, powerful and very fast.
http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/
René

I had forgotten that Steve Matzura posted a direct link to a download site for Windows PE (Windows Preinstallation Environment) versions that are set up to talk when they run using NVDA.   That site is:  http://www.opopanax.net/download/

I have not used any of these talking Windows PE ISOs, but I have no reason whatsoever to believe they would not work.  The correct one for your system could be downloaded on its own, and then you could just download the Macrium Reflect software without Windows PE.

You would still need to create the Macrium recovery media, which should then use the talking Windows PE to build it.

           ~ Bertrand Russell

Now, for anyone wanting the latest version of the Macrium 7.1 installer, who doesn't want to have to dig through the steps at the website to eventually download it, I've put it on my Google Drive:  Macrium 7.1 Full Installer.

When you activate that link you'll probably get a blank browser tab, followed moments later by a save dialog that asks where you'd like to save the .exe file.

           ~ Bertrand Russell

how do you restore the back up? do you have to do this in the talking wen pe addission?

Hank

--
check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

If a restore is due to something like a hard disc failure, then the Macrium Reflect Recovery Media, which uses Windows PE as its basis, must be booted from since there is no longer any functioning disc with the OS to boot from.  You then restore to the replacement disc.

If a restore is because your system has become "hosed" but still remains bootable and you're able to start Macrium under Windows, you can restore from within Macrium.

Personally, I have never done a restore in the second circumstance.   All of my restores (and there have been 3 in about 30 years on my own machines - I'm not counting client machines, which still makes the total under 10) were due to hardware failure where I needed to get a new primary disc drive.  Definitely booting from external media in that circumstance.

           ~ Bertrand Russell

Tony Ballou

Howdy,

Thanks mate. I've had a copy of this program for a while now but have yet to use it.  Looks like from what I've been reading and hearing from numerous reputable sources, here on this list, in the wires, and in my personal network that this will definitely come in handy prior to and after upgrading from windows 1803 to 1809.

Tony
On 10/5/2018 11:13 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

There was confirmation on the JAWS for Windows list that the talking Windows PE ISOs do work just fine, which is a big plus.  This makes it possible for a screen reader user to do a restore, provided they're NVDA-versed enough to use the basics.  Most JAWS users could certainly get through a restore process probably only using commands that overlap between JAWS and NVDA.

           ~ Bertrand Russell

It has been brought to my attention that one, and only one, dialog during the installation of Macrium Reflect, Version 7, has accessibility issues unless you use one of the various screen readers' alternate cursor methods.  Two members of the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users group have been kind enough to put together instructions for dealing with this dialog in each of the three major screen readers:  JAWS, Narrator, and NVDA.

Dealing with the License Key Dialog of Macrium Reflect, Version 7, with a Screen Reader

JAWS
, from David Bailes:

JAWS users can use either the Jaws cursor, or the touch cursor, which is the Jaws equivalent of object navigation.
Using the touch cursor:
1. Starting with the next button being the focus.
2. Switch to using the touch cursor (shift + numpad plus, using the desktop layout).
3. Press either left arrow twice or shift+tab twice to move to the home radio button.
4. Press spacebar or enter to select the radio button, and move the focus to it.
5. Switch back to the pc cursor (numpad plus twice quickly, using the desktop layout).
6. Tab to the next button and press it.

Narrator
 and NVDA, by Timothy Wynn:

Both sets of instructions presume you are in the License Key dialog with focus on the Next button

Narrator
:
1) Enable Narrator if not already running.
2) Use Narrator+Left-arrow to move to the previous item. Narrator will say "non-selected, Commercial, radio-button".
3) Use Narrator+Left-arrow to move to the previous item once more. Narrator will say "non-selected, Home, radio-button".
4) Use Narrator+Enter to do the primary action. On Windows 10 Version 1709, there is no response heard when performing this action, but use the next item (Narrator+Right-arrow) and previous item (Narrator+Left-arrow) commands to confirm. Narrator will say non-selected, Commercial, radio-button", followed by "selected, Home, radio-button"".

NVDA:
1) Start NVDA if not already running.
2) Use the move to previous object command. NVDA will say "This is My Group button".
3) Use the move to first contained object command. NVDA will say "Home radio button not checked".
4) Use the activate current navigator object command. NVDA will say "Check", followed by "This is My Group button", and finally "Home radio button checked".
5) Tab to and activate the Next button, and you should now be on the Registration screen.

           ~ Bertrand Russell

特種兵

hi
  How can I use clonezilla with voice or braille:
  I insert it (usb or cd) in my pc to reboot system and select it into program
  then I need vision to read screen's message
  so how can I let clonezilla is accessibility

thank you for much
Logo Kuo from Taiwan
Mobeen Iqbal 於 2018/10/06 20:41 寫道:

[...]

you could try using talking arch. it comes with clonezilla included I believe.

www.talkingarch.tk

cheers,

Mo.