From: <sven.zoephel@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2018 7:11 PM
Subject: [nvda] Windows10 Screen Reader in Word #NVAccess

I‘ve got a strange problem in Word under Win10. The system is setup to use the NVDA eSpeak NG as screen reader now, because it is the only screen reader with multi-language support for Word, so it can read texts in English and German without problems. I‘ve used Microsoft Speech API v5 before, because the voice is very natural.
All Windows commands (etc.) are using eSpeak NG, but Word is still using the Microsoft Speech API v5! Only if I open the NVDA speech settings, eSpeak NG is also used as screen reader for Word. As soon as I close the settings dialog, Word switches back to the MS API! I can even confirm that when looking into the NVDA log. It also shows the switching. Is there a way to prevent this? Or is there another way to get multi-language-support?

sven.zoephel@...

Hi Bryan,
Yes, I was using the sappi 5 voice until a short time ago. Now I found out that espeak automatically reads texts in German and English, which is nice - especially for homeworks with an English text and German questions...
I've tried to change the speech setting in NVDA, but as I explained: In Word it's always switched back to sappi 5 if I close the NVDA speech settings. Are there any program specific settings somewhere? Or even better: Is there a keyboard shortcut to switch between different languages in sappi 5?
Cheers, Sven

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello Sven,
If you use the Microsoft OneCore voices in windows 10, there is also a multilingual support.
You just need to install the voices you need. This is in the speech parmeters of Windows.
Once you have installed the voices, changing languages work, I just tested it in a Word document written in French, German and English.
1. You have to make sure that language automatic detection is checked in Nvda parameters, speech, automatic language change.
2. In Word, when yo write in different languages, you have to check in the statuts bar, that your text selection is in the right language. Press f6 several times to reach the status bar, then use the arrow keys to read in which language the selection is.
3. When you read the document, the languages should work fine.
I just tested the same document with Espeak and language changes work here.
Do not hesitate if I can help.
Best
Sylvie

Le 07/10/2018 à 20:11, sven.zoephel@... a écrit :
I‘ve got a strange problem in Word under Win10. The system is setup to use the NVDA eSpeak NG as screen reader now, because it is the only screen reader with multi-language support for Word, so it can read texts in English and German without problems. I‘ve used Microsoft Speech API v5 before, because the voice is very natural.
All Windows commands (etc.) are using eSpeak NG, but Word is still using the Microsoft Speech API v5! Only if I open the NVDA speech settings, eSpeak NG is also used as screen reader for Word. As soon as I close the settings dialog, Word switches back to the MS API! I can even confirm that when looking into the NVDA log. It also shows the switching. Is there a way to prevent this? Or is there another way to get multi-language-support?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

It sounds to me like there is a user profile for just word set up. Look at the profiles dialogue and see what you have set up. My guess is either that word has it set to sappi 5 or there is a say all rule set for that synth. I can think of no other reason for the symptoms you have.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Yes, I was using the sappi 5 voice until a short time ago. Now I found out that espeak automatically reads texts in German and English, which is nice - especially for homeworks with an English text and German questions...
I've tried to change the speech setting in NVDA, but as I explained: In Word it's always switched back to sappi 5 if I close the NVDA speech settings. Are there any program specific settings somewhere? Or even better: Is there a keyboard shortcut to switch between different languages in sappi 5?
Cheers, Sven

sven.zoephel@...

Now I‘ve got two Microsoft OneCore voices (German and English) both are automatically working in Word. Thank you Sylvie and Brian! To accomplish this I had to delete my NVDA profile and set it up again. But now it’s fine! I‘ve had a look into the profile before, but did not see any entry for Word. Could you point me to a description on how to work with profiles? I‘ve looked into the NVDA help, but did not find much explanation...
Cheers,
Sven