Windows 10 version 1809 being shelved do to major issues

Tony Ballou

Howdy,

From our win10 sister list and other reputable sources in the wires and
colleagues from my personal network there have been loads of reports
about people losing their data when they upgrade from windows 10 version
1803 to version 1809. Microsoft has put the version 1809 update back on
the shelf until they figure out what is happening. This seems to be
happening to folks who are signed into one drive while they run the
upgrade. Systems that are not signed into one drive appear not to have
the issue.  You can read more of this here.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/17944966/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-documents-deleted-issues-windows-update-paused

Tony

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes Jonathan Mosen was mentioning about it this very morning. Though he says none of his machines have had the issue. There was also so question marks about third party anti virusses maybe blocking the back up of files when Windows tries to move them as well.

So who is going to sue for lost data?
The more I hear the more I'm glad I'm on windows 7, even if it won't read dropbox dialogue boxes any more.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

colleagues from my personal network there have been loads of reports
about people losing their data when they upgrade from windows 10 version
1803 to version 1809. Microsoft has put the version 1809 update back on
the shelf until they figure out what is happening. This seems to be
happening to folks who are signed into one drive while they run the
upgrade. Systems that are not signed into one drive appear not to have
the issue. You can read more of this here.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/17944966/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-documents-deleted-issues-windows-update-paused

Tony

Tyler Wood

So glad I'm not using any of those antivirus programs.

Though windows 7 is on its last bit of life I think? Hmm.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony Ballou" <cyberpro224@outlook.com>
colleagues from my personal network there have been loads of reports
about people losing their data when they upgrade from windows 10 version
1803 to version 1809. Microsoft has put the version 1809 update back on
the shelf until they figure out what is happening. This seems to be
happening to folks who are signed into one drive while they run the
upgrade. Systems that are not signed into one drive appear not to have
the issue. You can read more of this here.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/17944966/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-documents-deleted-issues-windows-update-paused

Tony

Gene

What is wrong with the insider program that this problem wasn't known before the rollout?  Are there too few people in the program?  Should there be more attention to trying to get more users who use Windows in different ways and on more varied equipment?  Microsoft is developing a reputation for bad rollouts, hardly helpful for the company achieving its goals of having people accept "Windows as a service."

In an article I read yesterday from a reliable source, it was stated that both this major upgrade and the one before it had serious problems.  I don't recall the details now, but I recall reading about how the previous upgrade put some users machines into infinite bootup loops.  I don't recall what other problems may have been in that upgrade.  Again, what is wrong with the insider program that this wasn't caught?

Sent: Monday, October 08, 2018 9:48 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> colleagues from my personal network there have been loads of reports
> about people losing their data when they upgrade from windows 10 version
> 1803 to version 1809. Microsoft has put the version 1809 update back on
> the shelf until they figure out what is happening. This seems to be
> happening to folks who are signed into one drive while they run the
> upgrade. Systems that are not signed into one drive appear not to have
> the issue. You can read more of this here.
>

> https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/17944966/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-documents-deleted-issues-windows-update-paused
>

> Tony

Jackie

Actually, I had seen some stuff come over the wire for about a week
now that if Windows didn't feel it had enough space during this past
update, the potential to delete files existed. But yeah--it does make
1 wonder. I suppose it's always best practice to make a backup, but,
sometimes, Windows doesn't give a warning prior to updating--it just
does it. I think these "Creator" updates do let you decide, though. I
know the last fall creators update gave me a lot of problems accessing
my ISP's website after it was completed, & I had to roll it back for a
long while until the issues got resolved.

[...]

Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com

Monte Single

Windows rollout problems have been with us since the last millennium.  Remember Windows 98, it crashed, right there, on stage with  Bill Gates at the helm.

This just seems to be part of windows reality.  It seems we must live with it or  leave it.  There is a choice.

What is wrong with the insider program that this problem wasn't known before the rollout?  Are there too few people in the program?  Should there be more attention to trying to get more users who use Windows in different ways and on more varied equipment?  Microsoft is developing a reputation for bad rollouts, hardly helpful for the company achieving its goals of having people accept "Windows as a service."

In an article I read yesterday from a reliable source, it was stated that both this major upgrade and the one before it had serious problems.  I don't recall the details now, but I recall reading about how the previous upgrade put some users machines into infinite bootup loops.  I don't recall what other problems may have been in that upgrade.  Again, what is wrong with the insider program that this wasn't caught?

> colleagues from my personal network there have been loads of reports
> about people losing their data when they upgrade from windows 10 version
> 1803 to version 1809. Microsoft has put the version 1809 update back on
> the shelf until they figure out what is happening. This seems to be
> happening to folks who are signed into one drive while they run the
> upgrade. Systems that are not signed into one drive appear not to have
> the issue. You can read more of this here.
>

> https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/17944966/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-documents-deleted-issues-windows-update-paused
>

> Tony

Gene

But in the old days, Windows didn't get a full upgrade every six months.  Service packs were infrequent--perhaps two or three or four years apart.  Windows 7 only had one.  Perhaps Microsoft should look through its records of who had problems with Windows 10 upgrades through Windows 10's history.  Perhaps they can identify certain combinations of hardware and software that are prone to problems.  They then can actively attempt to recruit members of the Insider program who run such combinations.  It appears the Insider program is not working as expected.

Sent: Monday, October 08, 2018 11:22 AM

Windows rollout problems have been with us since the last millennium.  Remember Windows 98, it crashed, right there, on stage with  Bill Gates at the helm.

This just seems to be part of windows reality.  It seems we must live with it or  leave it.  There is a choice.

What is wrong with the insider program that this problem wasn't known before the rollout?  Are there too few people in the program?  Should there be more attention to trying to get more users who use Windows in different ways and on more varied equipment?  Microsoft is developing a reputation for bad rollouts, hardly helpful for the company achieving its goals of having people accept "Windows as a service."

In an article I read yesterday from a reliable source, it was stated that both this major upgrade and the one before it had serious problems.  I don't recall the details now, but I recall reading about how the previous upgrade put some users machines into infinite bootup loops.  I don't recall what other problems may have been in that upgrade.  Again, what is wrong with the insider program that this wasn't caught?

> colleagues from my personal network there have been loads of reports
> about people losing their data when they upgrade from windows 10 version
> 1803 to version 1809. Microsoft has put the version 1809 update back on
> the shelf until they figure out what is happening. This seems to be
> happening to folks who are signed into one drive while they run the
> upgrade. Systems that are not signed into one drive appear not to have
> the issue. You can read more of this here.
>

> https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/17944966/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-documents-deleted-issues-windows-update-paused
>

> Tony

Monte,

           Indeed.  Though I will say that Windows 10 Feature Updates, until this one, have been pretty consistently having fewer and fewer issues.  Given the number of different hardware configurations on which Windows 10 is being run, including many never intended to run it, it's a miracle how well it does work.  (And that comment/observation does not absolve Microsoft in any way for the debacle the initial rollout of Version 1809 has been.)

            There are other choices and, contrary to a great many popular urban legends, they have issues, too.  And the more that people who are not very well versed in the system internals of a given OS insist on playing around with same the more issues they tend to have.

           ~ Bertrand Russell

Tony Ballou

Hey Buddy,

I heard of the infinite boot up loops, and the blue screen of death issues in 1803 as well.  Fortunately That didn't happen to me; however, it's rather disturbing that they just want to keep on throwing these problematic updates out unto the unsuspecting public time, after time, after time. Scratching my head.

Tony

On 10/8/2018 11:08 AM, Gene wrote:
What is wrong with the insider program that this problem wasn't known before the rollout?  Are there too few people in the program?  Should there be more attention to trying to get more users who use Windows in different ways and on more varied equipment?  Microsoft is developing a reputation for bad rollouts, hardly helpful for the company achieving its goals of having people accept "Windows as a service."

In an article I read yesterday from a reliable source, it was stated that both this major upgrade and the one before it had serious problems.  I don't recall the details now, but I recall reading about how the previous upgrade put some users machines into infinite bootup loops.  I don't recall what other problems may have been in that upgrade.  Again, what is wrong with the insider program that this wasn't caught?

> colleagues from my personal network there have been loads of reports
> about people losing their data when they upgrade from windows 10 version
> 1803 to version 1809. Microsoft has put the version 1809 update back on
> the shelf until they figure out what is happening. This seems to be
> happening to folks who are signed into one drive while they run the
> upgrade. Systems that are not signed into one drive appear not to have
> the issue. You can read more of this here.
>

> https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/17944966/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-documents-deleted-issues-windows-update-paused
>

> Tony

Well they said it wouldn't work if it didn't have space.

If windows just made space any way it could it doesn't really matter, since I heard it even targeted secondary data drives that users files were on and that is a problem since I do use a secondry drive for my stuff.

For the users a lot of stuff is backed up and duplicated and I never use the user folders in windows 7 just what I have always done since I came from the dos days and we never did this.

On 10/9/2018 5:17 AM, Jackie wrote:
[...]

Hi,

This partly came about due to Spectre mitigation for certain processor models, along with driver issues and others depending on so many variables.

Cheers,

Joseph

> colleagues from my personal network there have been loads of reports
> about people losing their data when they upgrade from windows 10 version
> 1803 to version 1809. Microsoft has put the version 1809 update back on
> the shelf until they figure out what is happening. This seems to be
> happening to folks who are signed into one drive while they run the
> upgrade. Systems that are not signed into one drive appear not to have
> the issue. You can read more of this here.
>

> https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/17944966/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-documents-deleted-issues-windows-update-paused
>

> Tony

Stephen

What if you formated your pc and installed windows 10 1809 from scratch? and then put all your other data back on there after the instalation. would that work better?

At 03:17 AM 10/9/2018, you wrote:
[...]

Well would be fine its only if you are signed in to ms cloud services.

I don't use them, it may just in fact make me decide to just never sign in to onedrive or ever use it so windows doesn't delete my files.

At 03:17 AM 10/9/2018, you wrote:
[...]

Annette Moore

I don't use them either, Shaun, and I never had a problem. I feel bad for those who have had issues, though.

At 03:17 AM 10/9/2018, you wrote:
[...]

It has already been reported, on several lists and elsewhere, that being logged in to OneDrive or not being logged in to OneDrive has no direct connection to the file deletion issue, at least as a singular trigger.  One of the regulars on the JAWS list reports he's updated 4 machines, two logged in to OneDrive, two not, and all updated fine.

           ~ Bertrand Russell

Gene

Also, the logic used in this argument is incorrect.  Even if being signed in had a role in file deletion, that doesn't mean it is the fault of the cloud services per se or that in future being signed in has any bearing on the risk of loss.  Whatever the bug is, it's a bug.  If you want to use this logic, you should never take an automobile trip because the breaks have failed on this or that car.  You should never do anything because at some point, doing almost anything has led, in one way or another, to unwanted or bad consequences.  And last, if people would back things up, this would be an inconvenience, nothing more.

Sent: Monday, October 08, 2018 11:02 PM

It has already been reported, on several lists and elsewhere, that being logged in to OneDrive or not being logged in to OneDrive has no direct connection to the file deletion issue, at least as a singular trigger.  One of the regulars on the JAWS list reports he's updated 4 machines, two logged in to OneDrive, two not, and all updated fine.

           ~ Bertrand Russell

Gene

Also, in case there is any confusion, I was replying to Shaun, but I didn't keep that message so the message below mine isn't the one I was replying to.  Shaun said he might never use a Microsoft services account as a result of this problem.

Sent: Monday, October 08, 2018 11:02 PM

It has already been reported, on several lists and elsewhere, that being logged in to OneDrive or not being logged in to OneDrive has no direct connection to the file deletion issue, at least as a singular trigger.  One of the regulars on the JAWS list reports he's updated 4 machines, two logged in to OneDrive, two not, and all updated fine.

           ~ Bertrand Russell

Gene

It may be worse than I thought.  it may be just plain neglegence.

In my past writings on this subject, I've assumed that the problem in the latest major update was caused by defects in the insider program in identifying problems and the pressure of too frequent updates.  This comment in an article on the Kim Komando site raises the very real possibility that its just plain carelessness and neglegence.  This may become a major story and may result in major changes in how Microsoft handles updates.

And this problem is yet another reminder to back up everything you don't want to lose.  If you don't, sooner or later, you'll lose a lot or all of your files because something is going to happen.

https://www.komando.com/happening-now/495846/windows-update-halted-by-microsoft-for-major-problems
Perhaps more troubling are the reports stating that the bug existed even on the Windows Insider preview versions of the update. Isn't this precisely the thing beta testing is for?

Sent: Monday, October 08, 2018 11:22 AM

Windows rollout problems have been with us since the last millennium.  Remember Windows 98, it crashed, right there, on stage with  Bill Gates at the helm.

This just seems to be part of windows reality.  It seems we must live with it or  leave it.  There is a choice.

What is wrong with the insider program that this problem wasn't known before the rollout?  Are there too few people in the program?  Should there be more attention to trying to get more users who use Windows in different ways and on more varied equipment?  Microsoft is developing a reputation for bad rollouts, hardly helpful for the company achieving its goals of having people accept "Windows as a service."

In an article I read yesterday from a reliable source, it was stated that both this major upgrade and the one before it had serious problems.  I don't recall the details now, but I recall reading about how the previous upgrade put some users machines into infinite bootup loops.  I don't recall what other problems may have been in that upgrade.  Again, what is wrong with the insider program that this wasn't caught?

> colleagues from my personal network there have been loads of reports
> about people losing their data when they upgrade from windows 10 version
> 1803 to version 1809. Microsoft has put the version 1809 update back on
> the shelf until they figure out what is happening. This seems to be
> happening to folks who are signed into one drive while they run the
> upgrade. Systems that are not signed into one drive appear not to have
> the issue. You can read more of this here.
>

> https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/17944966/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-documents-deleted-issues-windows-update-paused
>

> Tony

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

I wonder if this problem only happened to those using the upgrade assistant? I used the media creator and did not have any problems. Nor did I lose any files.

Sent: Monday, October 08, 2018 11:22 AM

Windows rollout problems have been with us since the last millennium.  Remember Windows 98, it crashed, right there, on stage with  Bill Gates at the helm.

This just seems to be part of windows reality.  It seems we must live with it or  leave it.  There is a choice.

What is wrong with the insider program that this problem wasn't known before the rollout?  Are there too few people in the program?  Should there be more attention to trying to get more users who use Windows in different ways and on more varied equipment?  Microsoft is developing a reputation for bad rollouts, hardly helpful for the company achieving its goals of having people accept "Windows as a service."

In an article I read yesterday from a reliable source, it was stated that both this major upgrade and the one before it had serious problems.  I don't recall the details now, but I recall reading about how the previous upgrade put some users machines into infinite bootup loops.  I don't recall what other problems may have been in that upgrade.  Again, what is wrong with the insider program that this wasn't caught?

> colleagues from my personal network there have been loads of reports
> about people losing their data when they upgrade from windows 10 version
> 1803 to version 1809. Microsoft has put the version 1809 update back on
> the shelf until they figure out what is happening. This seems to be
> happening to folks who are signed into one drive while they run the
> upgrade. Systems that are not signed into one drive appear not to have
> the issue. You can read more of this here.
>

> https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/17944966/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-documents-deleted-issues-windows-update-paused
>

> Tony

Gene

I don't recall the details.  the article I linked to describes what may be patterns in those who may have the problem.

HGene

Sent: Monday, October 08, 2018 11:22 AM