Finding in MS Word

kelby carlson

The NVDA find command doesn't seem to work in MS word. When I press it
it treats me as having pressed ctrl-f, which is the regular Word find
and which doesn't work as well. How do you find text in a Word
document?

I can confirm that I am not having any luck invoking the NVDA find via INS+CTRL+F at this point in time using Windows 10 64-bit home, the latest build of NVDA - 2016.3, and Microsoft Word 2010.

This has not been the case in the past and I don't think I'm doing anything differently than I had been before.  I have, regardless of screen reader, had many instances where I didn't seem to get the screen reader find with INS+CTRL+F but generally would on a subsequent try.  Not in this case.  I smell a possible bug.

kelby carlson

This is something that's pretty important for me to be able to do for
work (I suspect that's the case for many here.) If anyone has the
solution I would appreciate it.

I can confirm that I am not having any luck invoking the NVDA find via
INS+CTRL+F at this point in time using Windows 10 64-bit home, the latest
build of NVDA - 2016.3, and Microsoft Word 2010.

This has not been the case in the past and I don't think I'm doing anything
differently than I had been before.  I have, regardless of screen reader,
had many instances where I didn't seem to get the screen reader find with
INS+CTRL+F but generally would on a subsequent try.  Not in this case.  I
smell a possible bug.

I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never
enough to keep up.
         ~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in
the Universe"

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I just tried it in microsoft word 2010 and if I done the following while in focus mode with the nvda search feature, it would bring up a search box but when i typed in what I wanted then tabed to search it would not go any where.

But now if you do the same to do a search with nvda but this time in browse mode you could type in a search  then it would find it no worries.

That was using the nvda find command.

I can not remember if before I could do it in focus mode?

By the way it was with a docx file.

Gene nz

On 9/09/2016 10:01 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

I can confirm that I am not having any luck invoking the NVDA find via INS+CTRL+F at this point in time using Windows 10 64-bit home, the latest build of NVDA - 2016.3, and Microsoft Word 2010.

This has not been the case in the past and I don't think I'm doing anything differently than I had been before.  I have, regardless of screen reader, had many instances where I didn't seem to get the screen reader find with INS+CTRL+F but generally would on a subsequent try.  Not in this case.  I smell a possible bug.

mohammad suliman

I can confirm this also. Windows 7 and office 2010
here are some tips to work with the find functionality of word 2010:
  • hit ctrl + f to go to the search field
  • enter the term you wish to search for, and hit enter
  • use f6 (several times, maybe 3) to get back to the document, where the first result is focused
  • to go to next / previous search result: hit f6, the focus will jump to the navigation toolbar, from there click previous / next search result
  • again, use f6, several times, as needed, to get back to the document where the search result is focused

I don't know the shortcuts for previous / next search result, sorry!
hope that helps!

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 at 01:11 kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@...> wrote:
This is something that's pretty important for me to be able to do for
work (I suspect that's the case for many here.) If anyone has the
solution I would appreciate it.

> I can confirm that I am not having any luck invoking the NVDA find via
> INS+CTRL+F at this point in time using Windows 10 64-bit home, the latest
> build of NVDA - 2016.3, and Microsoft Word 2010.
>
> This has not been the case in the past and I don't think I'm doing anything
> differently than I had been before.  I have, regardless of screen reader,
> had many instances where I didn't seem to get the screen reader find with
> INS+CTRL+F but generally would on a subsequent try.  Not in this case.  I
> smell a possible bug.
> --
> Brian
>
> I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never
> enough to keep up.
>          ~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in
> the Universe"

Andre Fisher

The NVDA Find command only works in Browse mode, as stated in the user
guide. Press NVDA+Space, then NVDA+Control+F to use the NVDA Find
dialog in Word.

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 at 01:11 kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Are you in Browse mode or focus mode when you press NVDA+control+f?

(Browse mode, for reading, can use single letter navigation keys and NVDA+f7 elements list like on the web.  Focus mode,you can write text - Word is normally in focus mode).

NVDA+control+f only works in Browse mode, so you need to press NVDA+spacebar in Word to switch to browse mode, but otherwise, it may provide a simpler "find" interface for some than particularly the task panes in the newer versions of Word.

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 7:42 AM, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@...> wrote:
The NVDA find command doesn't seem to work in MS word. When I press it
it treats me as having pressed ctrl-f, which is the regular Word find
and which doesn't work as well. How do you find text in a Word
document?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Chris Mullins

May I ask what is the difficulty using the search facility built into Word?

Cheers
Chris

This is something that's pretty important for me to be able to do for work (I suspect that's the case for many here.) If anyone has the solution I would appreciate it.

I can confirm that I am not having any luck invoking the NVDA find via
INS+CTRL+F at this point in time using Windows 10 64-bit home, the
INS+CTRL+latest
build of NVDA - 2016.3, and Microsoft Word 2010.

This has not been the case in the past and I don't think I'm doing
anything differently than I had been before. I have, regardless of
screen reader, had many instances where I didn't seem to get the
screen reader find with
INS+CTRL+F but generally would on a subsequent try. Not in this case.
INS+CTRL+I
smell a possible bug.

I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's
never enough to keep up.
~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent
Life in the Universe"

Gene

As far as I know, the NVDA find command is only intended to be used in the virtual pc cursor.  You may be able to use it if the virtual pc cursor is on in word.  But I suspect that the Microsoft find command works as well as the NVDA find command.  Please give examples of where you find it lacking and those who know about using it in recent versions of word may comment.

Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2016 4:42 PM
Subject: [nvda] Finding in MS Word

The NVDA find command doesn't seem to work in MS word. When I press it
it treats me as having pressed ctrl-f, which is the regular Word find
and which doesn't work as well. How do you find text in a Word
document?

kelby carlson

The Word search facility is slightly clunkier, though it appears to
work better with NVDA than with JAWS.

I am a very new user of NVDA so am still getting used to the ins and outs.

On 9/8/16, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi,

Using windows 10, NVDA 2016.3 and Word 2016, on a .docx file I am able to find a chosen word both using the Word find command and the NVDA find command in both focus  and browse modes. The cursor is routed to the position of the found word in all cases. I made sure to use different search words in the two searches and to move forward away from the last search position before running each find command.

Could it be a problem relating only to using Word 2010?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Bhavya shah

Hi,
I confirm inconsistencies in the Word Find functionality in Microsoft
Office Word 2010 on Windows 8.1. When on Windows 7 and Microsoft
Office Word 2007, Ctrl+F, entering of search string and then Enter
always used to take me to an occurrence of the typed string after the
cursor, whereas in the current scenario, it sometimes does take me,
sometimes doesn't (which I check by pressing Esc to come out of the
dialog). If it doesn't work, then I press Ctrl+PgUp or Ctrl+PgDn to
move to the previous or next occurrence of the entered string, which
is slightly more consistent than Ctrl+F, but not 100% either.
Sincerest apologies for the confusing manner in which I have described
the problem above, but was just curious if this could be resolved
somehow, from Word's side, NVDA's end, or something of the sort.
Thank.

On 9/9/16, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Warm Regards
Bhavya Shah
reader for Microsoft Windows
http://www.nvaccess.org/
Reach me through the following means:
Mobile: +91 7506221750
E-mail id: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com
Skype id : bhavya.09

Chris Mullins

I don't know if this is true of later versions of Word but works in Word 2007 and prior. Use Ctrl+f to invoke search dialog, type in search criteria and press enter. This will find first instance forward of current document position. Press escape to dismiss search dialog, then use Ctrl+pagedown to search forwards, ctrl+PageUp to search backwards through the document. Search will ask if you want to wrap around when top/bottom is reached. .

Cheers
Chris

[...]

Pranav Lal

Hi all,

I have used word's regular find function and still use it all the time. What is the problem with it? As in why do we need to use the screen reader's find function here?

Pranav

[...]

When I see discussions of this sort, a question I always have is, what disadvantages may not be being discussed when using a method outside of the standard program.  In other words, for example, let's say you use browse mode in Word and use the NVDA find.  Does that move just the browse mode virtual cursor or does it move you in Word itself.  If the actual Word cursor is not moved, this would be a significant disadvantage when editing.  I haven't used Word to any extent in years and I don't know how well or not well the Word find command works.  But whenever some sort of special outside of the program means is used to do something, a question I always have is, what is being given up, if anything, when using this nonprogram command.  I am not assuming anything, but I seldom see this question discussed.

I have used word's regular find function and still use it all the time. What is the problem with it? As in why do we need to use the screen reader's find function here?

Pranav

This is something that's pretty important for me to be able to do for work (I suspect that's the case for many here.) If anyone has the solution I would appreciate it.

> I can confirm that I am not having any luck invoking the NVDA find via
> INS+CTRL+F at this point in time using Windows 10 64-bit home, the
> INS+CTRL+latest
> build of NVDA - 2016.3, and Microsoft Word 2010.
>
> This has not been the case in the past and I don't think I'm doing
> anything differently than I had been before.  I have, regardless of
> screen reader, had many instances where I didn't seem to get the
> screen reader find with
> INS+CTRL+F but generally would on a subsequent try.  Not in this case.
> INS+CTRL+I
> smell a possible bug.
> --
> Brian
>
> I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's
> never enough to keep up.
>          ~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent
> Life in the Universe"

Maybe its a version thing. I just loaded up a really old version of word, ie 2002, and switching to browse mode found the find command worked fine on doc files.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

It has always seemed a bit odd to me the way word search works. The nvda search in browse mode is more convenient in many cases.
[...]

Kerry Fielding <littlemisslovely1973@...>

Well, being a relatively new NVDA user, I simply opened word 2016, typed in a bit of text then did control+nvda+f and looked for the word dog.  It seems to work for me but then I only input a very small amount of text

[...]

No virus found in this message.

It may also be that those who don't like the command aren't moving to the search results efficiently or between them and the main program window efficiently.  I saw one message discussing  using f6.  But the message didn't say anything about using shift f6 to move back efficiently.  Try using f6 to move to the search results and then try shift f6 to move back to the main program window.  Is that more efficient?

Whatever the case, f6 moves you one direction through different structures such as tool bars or, in this case getting to the edit field.  Shift f6 moves you the opposite direction when moving through structures you can move through in that way.  For another example, Shift f6 often will move you backwards through structures such as dialogs.

Sent: Friday, September 09, 2016 8:02 AM

[...]

Christo Vorster

Hi everyone

I used to use ctrl+f for find in Word.

Since I got the advice on search that circulated lately on the list I started using it as it was set out in the list. It works fantastically well.

I don’t think that hitting F6 several times is really the answer, rather use the escape and ctrl+pgdn, as described.

Thanks for all the input from all the listers.

Have a nice day