Topics

To all xp users who were running dropbox

Either uninstall it or stop it from running at start up. although you cannot log in the software still seems to be updating and trying to do things on my computer, resulting in some cases in excessive processor load from msse and freezing of nvda after it tries to run after an update.
I simply used msconfig to turn it off dropbox that is, at start up and then restarted and have had no further issues. Its verynaughty of them not to properly disable the product when they cut off xp users.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

hi.
i heard someone that dropbox does not support xp anymore.
there is a question.
is it possible to use previous versions of dropbox on xp without updating it?
thanks.

Either uninstall it or stop it from running at start up. although you
cannot log in the software still seems to be updating and trying to do
things on my computer, resulting in some cases in excessive processor load
from msse and freezing of nvda after it tries to run after an update.
I simply used msconfig to turn it off dropbox that is, at start up and
then restarted and have had no further issues. Its verynaughty of them not
to properly disable the product when they cut off xp users.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
al-islam.org

Gene

I doubt the version of Drop Box matters.  I don't think any version will work.  If older versions work, I don't know if there is a way to stop updates.  Drop Box is not intended to allow the user to control whether updates occur.  When not tampered with or the function blocked in some way, Drop Box always updates itself to the current version.  But I suspect that the site knows if you are using XP regardless of which version you are using and will sign you out.  Others may have information that contradicts what I think but that's what I think.

I don't know how useable the actual site is but you can work with files on the site still if you use XP.

Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2016 3:22 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] To all xp users who were running dropbox

hi.
i heard someone that dropbox does not support xp anymore.
there is a question.
is it possible to use previous versions of dropbox on xp without updating it?
thanks.

>  Either uninstall it or stop it from running at start up. although you
> cannot log in the software still seems to be updating and trying to do
> things on my computer, resulting in some cases in excessive processor load
> from msse and freezing of nvda after it tries to run after an update.
>  I simply used msconfig to turn it off  dropbox that is, at start up and
> then restarted and have had no further issues. Its verynaughty of them not
> to properly disable the product  when they cut off xp users.
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
al-islam.org

Arno Schuh

Hi,
no, the Dropbox client version that still runs with Win XP is blocked from the Dropbox side. So it didn't help to try to prevent the client from updating.
The Dropbox client for XP no longer have access to the server and no longer can't connect into the server.

You still can upload files with CarotDAV on XP to your Dropbox account. But until now CarotDAV can't create a public link to the uploaded files.

Yours sincerely

Arno

Arno Schuh

Hi,

the update of Dropbox is pushed by one or more entries in scheduled tasks. So it would be possible to stop the Dropbox client to update itself. But as I wrote in my last mail - it didn't matter. Dropbox didn't let you in with an old version of the client.

Yours sincerely

Arno

Michael Capelle <mcapelle@...>

it is working fine on my end, running xp sp3.

no, the Dropbox client version that still runs with Win XP is blocked from the Dropbox side. So it didn't help to try to prevent the client from updating.
The Dropbox client for XP no longer have access to the server and no longer can't connect into the server.

You still can upload files with CarotDAV on XP to your Dropbox account. But until now CarotDAV can't create a public link to the uploaded files.

Yours sincerely

Arno

No, basically, as the first thing it does is updates itself then logs you out. You can still use the online parts, but not the desktop applications. I did try to find out why but never got a straight answer, but the suspicion is that they are using more modern compilers for the C code and don't want to have the fuss of putting in special switches to create xp compatible code which may well run slower.

I did suggest allowing access of older versions but their very vague reply suggested that features that will be added could not be supported in the older versions of the app.

In other words, they just don't want to be bothered, is how I read it.
[...]

Yes I've tried everything. Unless you can spoof the app into pretending its not xp I see no hope of the desktop app working.

I noticed the thing updated on one xp machine to 9.x and asked me to log in with the usual g for girraffe, but on doing so, it did not do it.
I really think they should have disabled the updates and switched the app off. This half hearted log out is a pain and i have had to disable or remove the app on two machines to stop it doing stupid repeated updates and using up processor and on line resources.
[...]

Actually it will let you in with a very old version, but not if its running on xp.
It obviously detects the operating system. They have sent out many messages from well over a month ago warning people about this and it did actually last an extra day. I see now they are claiming that its a security issue with xp as its not been updated for over two years, however many of us do have xp updates till 2019, and really should not be all shoved together with the great unwashed as it seems xp users are seen these days.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

the update of Dropbox is pushed by one or more entries in scheduled tasks. So it would be possible to stop the Dropbox client to update itself. But as I wrote in my last mail - it didn't matter. Dropbox didn't let you in with an old version of the client.

Yours sincerely

Arno

Then we need your secret, as after a day, it stopped working and sits there saying waiting to be linked to an account, but won't let you actually do it from an xp machine.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

it is working fine on my end, running xp sp3.
no, the Dropbox client version that still runs with Win XP is blocked from the Dropbox side. So it didn't help to try to prevent the client from updating.
The Dropbox client for XP no longer have access to the server and no longer can't connect into the server.

You still can upload files with CarotDAV on XP to your Dropbox account. But until now CarotDAV can't create a public link to the uploaded files.

Yours sincerely

Arno

Lino Morales

Say what? Where the hell did you hear this from MR. Bryian.uk.co.missinformed? Supported officially ended for XP on APR. 2014. Its high time you all get off the XP trainwreck. Dropbox did indeed end their support. Fanagle it to work to your little hearts content.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Arno Schuh" <@menschomat>