Microsoft Word with NVDA by NV Access now available

Quentin Christensen

NV Access is very pleased to announce the release of "Microsoft Word with NVDA", the official training material for Microsoft Word with NVDA. It covers concepts from getting started with Word through to use of advanced features such as customising the status ribbon and running macros.

Available from: http://www.nvaccess.org/product/microsoft-word-training-for-nvda/ initially in eBook formats (Braille and audio to follow) for AUD $30 (+ $3 GST in Australia).

Microsoft Word with NVDA is the second module in the official set of training materials for learning to use the free NVDA screen reader. Suitable for the new and existing user of Microsoft Word wishing to improve proficiency. This module assumes that the user has completed the “Basic Training for NVDA” module, or has equivalent knowledge.

Topics covered include: Getting started with Microsoft Word, proofreading, styles, tables, page layout, referencing, inserting, collaboration and sharing and customising Word options. Formats included in this package: ePub, HTML, Word Docx and Mobi (Kindle).

The purchase price of this product supports the work of NV Access and our ability to provide the NVDA screen reading software free of charge.

If you would like to sample the style of the material prior to purchasing, we have made an extract of the Basic Training for NVDA module freely available on our website, http://www.nvaccess.org/.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Clare Page <clare.page@...>

Hi!

Having bought the « Basic Trainning For NVDA” e-book when it came out and found it useful, I am definitely tempted to buy the new e-book about Microsoft Word at some point; Before I decide whether to do so, I have an important question. Is this book a general guide to using NVDA with Microsoft Word, or is it geared towards any particular’ version of Word? I currently use Word 2007 here, and I know later versions of Word are different in some ways, so I would simply like to know which versions of Microsoft Word this new book covers.

Thanks in advance for you reply.

Bye for now!

From Clare

[...]

Hi Clare,

Firstly, I'm glad you found the Basic Training for NVDA book useful!

With the Microsoft Word with NVDA book, and I just realised I didn't include this in the blurb, we tried to make it as broad as possible, as we did with the Basic Training for NVDA book.  What that means in terms of versions, is that we wrote it based around Microsoft Word 2010 through to 2016.

I have a computer with Office 2007 on it here myself and so I tested many of the activities and in fact quite a lot works similarly between Office 2007 and Office 2010.  Off the top of my head, I think the find command (control+f) is one - in that it uses the (simpler?) dialog box in 2007 instead of the task pane of later versions, and there are a couple of other things I can't think of off the top of my head.

In any case, I'm happy to offer that if you work through the book and find anything that you can't figure out in Word 2007, drop me a line and I'll have a look and figure it out for you.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 8:24 PM, Clare Page <clare.page@...> wrote:

Hi!

Having bought the « Basic Trainning For NVDA” e-book when it came out and found it useful, I am definitely tempted to buy the new e-book about Microsoft Word at some point; Before I decide whether to do so, I have an important question. Is this book a general guide to using NVDA with Microsoft Word, or is it geared towards any particular’ version of Word? I currently use Word 2007 here, and I know later versions of Word are different in some ways, so I would simply like to know which versions of Microsoft Word this new book covers.

Thanks in advance for you reply.

Bye for now!

From Clare

[...]

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Quentin,

I was trying out the free sample on the web page.

I am not fully familiar with the review cursor and so I tried to follow the sample exercise.  as I am a bit confused about the copying stroke. The manual says insert+F9 to start the mark and then one keystroke of insert F10 to copy it. However, NVDA keyboard help says that NVDA F10 should be pressed twice to copy the sleection. I also found that after pressing insert F10 twice, the caret  moved to the position of the word being copied and moved away from the last line position where it was expected to be.

I have repeated this several times with both a single insert+F10 and a double insert+F10 and I cannot get it to work.  Any advice?

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Cearbhall,

Well picked up!  Yes that behaviour of the review cursor has changed just this week in NVDA 2016.3, and as you've reminded me, we need to update that sample section of the Basic Training for NVDA module.

Pressing NVDA+f10 twice (quickly) should copy the selection to the clipboard.  Depending on the type of object that has focus, selecting the text (the first press) may move the focus you are right, but it should copy if you press NVDA+f10 twice quickly - within say a second or less - similar to pressing NVDA+f12 twice quickly to get the date, or pressing any of the reading commands twice to spell something.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 9:52 PM, Cearbhall O'Meadhra <cearbhall.omeadhra@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks that does explain what is happening! Hard to keep up with  all the changes, isn’t it?

OK then, so, I need to press NVDA +F10 twice. This does copy the text. But it activates the caret. So, if I am right about this, will it be necessary to advise the user to press control+end to get back to the location for the pasting operation?

If so, that’s a pity as you were describing a very neat little operation in the older version.

I wish you every success with this tutorial and I would like to help in any way I can. Please let me know if anything else needs an independent review!!

[...]

Mallard <mallard@...>

Hello Quentin,

I tried to buy this ebook, but I made a stupid mistake and went and re-bought the Basic Training ebook, whichI already have.

I wrote to Admin but, of course, you people "down under" are sleeping now...

Do you think it would be possible to change the download link, which I haven't used, and send me one for the Microsoft Word ebook?

I'm a well-known "messer-upper", so please, bear with me... lol

Ciao, and thanks for your great work.

Ollie

Quentin Christensen

Hi Cearbhall,

Glad you got it working!  Yes, the older way that operation worked did enable nifty things like in my example, although I think it also caused some confusion as well, so we'll see how this new way goes.

In the meantime, I better update the material - and I'll keep the old activity on hand just in case we ever go back :)

Oh, re where you end up after you copy text, if you are in an otherwise editable field, then the text is selected, as it would be if you had used the regular movement commands, so if you press say left arrow, you will end up at the start of the selection, and if you press right arrow, you will end up at the end of the selection.

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 2:15 AM, Cearbhall O'Meadhra <cearbhall.omeadhra@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Ollie,

I'm sure that will be fine, let me chase it up for you :)

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 2:35 AM, Mallard <mallard@...> wrote:
Hello Quentin,

I tried to buy this ebook, but I made a stupid mistake and went and re-bought the Basic Training ebook, whichI already have.

I wrote to Admin but, of course, you people "down under" are sleeping now...

Do you think it would be possible to change the download link, which I haven't used, and send me one for the Microsoft Word ebook?

I'm a well-known "messer-upper", so please, bear with me... lol

Ciao, and thanks for your great work.

Ollie

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Arlene

Loll! I hope you can give that book to somebody who doesn't have it. Just
sell it for half the price you baught it for.

I tried to buy this ebook, but I made a stupid mistake and went and
re-bought the Basic Training ebook, whichI already have.

I wrote to Admin but, of course, you people "down under" are sleeping now...

Do you think it would be possible to change the download link, which I
haven't used, and send me one for the Microsoft Word ebook?

I'm a well-known "messer-upper", so please, bear with me... lol

Ciao, and thanks for your great work.

Ollie

Mallard <mallard@...>

Thanks Quentin,

It's been sorted out. I got a coupon, which I'm giong to use right now.

Take care, ciao,

Ollie

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 2:35 AM, Mallard <mallard@kimabe.eu <mailto:mallard@kimabe.eu>> wrote:

Hello Quentin,

I tried to buy this ebook, but I made a stupid mistake and went
and re-bought the Basic Training ebook, whichI already have.

I wrote to Admin but, of course, you people "down under" are
sleeping now...

Do you think it would be possible to change the download link,
which I haven't used, and send me one for the Microsoft Word ebook?

I'm a well-known "messer-upper", so please, bear with me... lol

Ciao, and thanks for your great work.

Ollie

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
Basic Training for NVDA E-Book now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
Direct: +61 413 904 383
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Excellent, let us know if you have any trouble with the coupon!

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 2:35 AM, Mallard <mallard@... <mailto:mallard@...>> wrote:

[...]

Ciao Quentin,

No trouble at all. Coupon entered, book downloaded. I'm about to unzip the file and start reading.

I don't have MS Word; I use LibreOffice, but I want to collect all the NVDA ebooks to help friends when needed.

It would be nice to have some documentation about NVDA with LibreOffice, although I realise there are still accessibility issues in that suite.

They're not particularly responsive; I had a chance to participate in one of their conferences here in Milan, and there were a lot of nice words concerning accessibility and their commitment, but I have experienced otherwise whenever I have tried to contact them on this subject...

Let's hope forthe future...

Ciao, and thanks again.

Ollie

<mailto:mallard@kimabe.eu> <mailto:mallard@kimabe.eu
[...]

<tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
Direct: +61 413 904 383 <tel:%2B61%20413%20904%20383>
www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org>
<http://www.nvaccess.org/>
<http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
Basic Training for NVDA E-Book now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
Direct: +61 413 904 383
Twitter: @NVAccess

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Quentin,

You say that the copy selection (F10 twice) should only move the caret if certain objects are in focus. What does this mean?

I have tried the F9 and double F10 sequence  with NVDA+6 set to “caret moves review cursor “ “on” and “off” alternately, but the double F10 always moves the caret to the copied text. To be sure that I am making myself clear: in the sample, when I double click F10 to copy “Bert”, I find the caret has jumped from the last line where I removed “Brown” to the immediate right edge of the word Bert” on the top line.

How can I get the caret to stay in place and not move up?

[...]

hi Quentin.
thanks so much for your patience and answering our questions in a very
good manner.
i have a question about nvda 2016.3 and text selection.
in previous versions, when we press control+f9, we starting mark our selection.
after that, when we press control+f10, our selection is copied to the clipboard.
right?
now, in the new version, as usual, when we use control+f9, we specify
our selection.
after finishing our selection, we should control+f10 twice quickly to
our selection be copied.
but what happen if we use control+f10 once like previous versions?
for example: if we use it once, is it possible to use windows regular
commands like control+x control+c and control+v?
thanks for your help and God bless you!

On 9/14/16, Cearbhall O'Meadhra <cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie> wrote:
Quentin,

You say that the copy selection (F10 twice) should only move the caret if
certain objects are in focus. What does this mean?

I have tried the F9 and double F10 sequence with NVDA+6 set to "caret
moves
review cursor " "on" and "off" alternately, but the double F10 always moves
the caret to the copied text. To be sure that I am making myself clear: in
the sample, when I double click F10 to copy "Bert", I find the caret has
jumped from the last line where I removed "Brown" to the immediate right
edge of the word Bert" on the top line.

How can I get the caret to stay in place and not move up?

All the best,

Cearbhall

version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try Spam Reader
<http://www.spam-reader.com/disclaimer.shtml> for free now!

<cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie <mailto:cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie> > wrote:

Quentin,

I was trying out the free sample on the web page.

I am not fully familiar with the review cursor and so I tried to follow the
sample exercise. as I am a bit confused about the copying stroke. The
manual says insert+F9 to start the mark and then one keystroke of insert
F10
to copy it. However, NVDA keyboard help says that NVDA F10 should be
pressed
twice to copy the sleection. I also found that after pressing insert F10
twice, the caret moved to the position of the word being copied and moved
away from the last line position where it was expected to be.

I have repeated this several times with both a single insert+F10 and a
double insert+F10 and I cannot get it to work. Any advice?

All the best,

Cearbhall

m <tel:%2B353%20%280%29833323487> +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623
e: <mailto:cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie> cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie

version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try
<http://www.spam-reader.com/disclaimer.shtml> Spam Reader for free now!

http://www.nvaccess.org/.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Basic Training for NVDA E-Book now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306> +61 7 3149 3306

Direct: <tel:%2B61%20413%20904%20383> +61 413 904 383
<http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>
http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Basic Training for NVDA E-Book now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306> +61 7 3149 3306

Direct: +61 413 904 383
<http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>
http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
al-islam.org

Chris Mullins

Your message encouraged me to check this out and it does indeed work as you suggest. After using NVDA+f9 to start mark, the First NVDA+f10 does the end mark and selects the text between the 2 points, then the second f10 press copies it to the clipboard, so the second f10 press is identical to pressing Ctrl+c but you could replace it with ctrl+x if you want to cut the selected text and use ctrl+v to paste it elsewhere.

Cheers
Chris

[...]

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e:
cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie

I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The
Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.

Try <http://www.spam-reader.com/disclaimer.shtml> Spam Reader for free now!

[...]

In something like the document field in Word, if you use the review cursor to mark text with NVDA+f9 to start and NVDA+f10 to end, it is selected just as if you'd used shift+arrows, so you could use control+c to copy or control+b to bold or anything else you can do with selected text.

In other places where the text is not otherwise accessible (in the winver dialog for instance), you do need to use NVDA+f10 to copy as control+c won't work there.

Regards

Quentin.

On 9/14/16, Cearbhall O'Meadhra <cearbhall.omeadhra@...> wrote:
> Quentin,
>

> You say that the copy selection (F10 twice) should only move the caret
> if certain objects are in focus. What does this mean?
>

> I have tried the F9 and double F10 sequence  with NVDA+6 set to "caret
> moves review cursor " "on" and "off" alternately, but the double F10
> always moves the caret to the copied text. To be sure that I am making
> myself clear: in the sample, when I double click F10 to copy "Bert", I
> find the caret has jumped from the last line where I removed "Brown"
> to the immediate right edge of the word Bert" on the top line.
>

> How can I get the caret to stay in place and not move up?
>

> All the best,
>

> Cearbhall
>

> m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e:
> cearbhall.omeadhra@...
>

> I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The
> Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.
> Try Spam Reader <http://www.spam-reader.com/disclaimer.shtml>  for free now!

today i tested this version and it worked great for me!
i realy appreciate you and all nvda developers and users!
God bless you all and i wish devine mercy and gracious for you.

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 12:50 AM, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@gmail.com>
wrote:

[...]

quentin, is it possible to be in contact with you via your email
address skype etc?
i found a strange behaviour in nvda i think 2015 or 2014 i am not
shure completely.
i asked many people and they could not help me.

wrote:

[...]

Hi Nasrin,

Definitely feel free to contact me, my email is quentin@... (I've also just e-mailed you).

Kind regards