Accessibility improvements to groups.io

Over the past month, I've been tracking down mark, the creator of the groups.io platform. I'm pleased to say he was more than willing to make the few accessibility changes I've suggested, filling in some empty links with link text, adding names to edit fields so screen readers can read the edit name when tabbing, and adding a few separators when viewing messages on the web so we can jump via separators. My next task is to get him, and others, to add a bit more heading structure throughout the site, but not too much, obviously. I really love the speed of the site and want to keep it that way. Anyway, if you guys have screen reader feedback, constructive feedback, write to the below. I haven't told him about chat and calendar edit fields not being labeled, nor have I suggested that chats read automatically using ARIA yet. I figured you guys can do that. If not, I am gonna continue to write to him, suggesting changes. The email he gave me to give to the general public is below.

I did suggest that he make his upcoming feature, the ability to charge group members for access directly on the platform, fully accessible though. This new feature will allow group owners to charge to access the group.

support@groups.io

Mark Fletcher has always been quite responsive to the input I've given him with regard to making accessibility improvements to the web interface to Groups.io as well.

He would really like for it to be as accessible as possible but, like most folks who do not use screen readers at all, he often has no idea of exactly how to accomplish that.  Doing as Mr. Kingett has done, and giving very specific examples of where accessibility is lacking and what should be done to remedy those issues is exactly the way to get the changes you want and need as quickly as Mark can get to them (which is sometimes faster than others, as Groups.io is pretty much a one man show).

Going further, this is exactly the kind of feedback that should be given to any site with accessibility problems.  They may or may not act on it, but I can guarantee they will not act on a broad, general, "Your site is inaccessible," message as many have no real idea of what that means or even how they might go about fixing it.  Your own input, with direct examples of problem(s) and their solution(s), is the fastest track to change.  I will be the first to admit that you may not get any change, but if you're going to try make sure the input guides those who'd actually be making the nuts and bolts changes.

           ~ Bertrand Russell

Does anyone else have any specific accessibility issues with the site? I've been trying to create a document or something that I, we, can then share with Mark. I thought Mark had a team? You mean to tell me that he made this site all by himself? That's amazing! I've been looking for more unlabeled edit boxes and combo boxes all day, but I can't find any, except for the composing a message edit box. Does anyone else have any observations? I'm trying to write down the various fixes Mark can do to the Calendar but I am running out of ideas. Anyone else have input?

Robert,

        Groups.io is Mark's baby, and has been from the start.  Read his "history of how I got here":  https://wingedpig.com/2014/09/23/introducing-groups-io/

        Unfortunately I don't use practically anything but the online forum feature and, on rare occasions, the member directory.  And I don't use those routinely with a screen reader.

           ~ Bertrand Russell