NVDA Snapshot types

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I know I asked a similar question before, but looking at the email list of different snap releases I see alpha and beta, yet on the snapshot web site it seems only alpha have updated, the beta is showing rc versions of the last stable release. Am I missing something here, or are betas not actually on the site?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Quentin Christensen

Hi Brian,

Apologies if you've asked this before and I missed it :)

The new release process is that Alpha builds come out quite regularly, every few days or sometimes several in a day, like the old "next" snapshots did.

The key point about Beta releases is: "
  • Starting from 5 weeks before final release, tagged beta releases will be published periodically, allowing the wider community to try out the betas. At this stage code originally introduced through master will have been tested for at least 2 weeks, thus the beta builds can be seen as beta quality."
So, if you are interested in testing the latest "bleeding edge" code which gets updated regularly, then you want the Alpha snapshots (with the usual caveat that while they usually work fine, they may not be completely stable or work in every situation - in which case please let us know, and also keep a stable build handy).

If you want a more reliably stable experience but still want to test out new features before the masses, Beta should have you covered for that and you'll start to get those about 5 weeks before a new release is due (the last beta cycle was longer, being the first time we'd changed to that system).

All the snapshots are available from the snapshots page at: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/

If you'd like to read the release process in full, you can find it here: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/ReleaseProcess

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 5:54 AM Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I know I asked a similar question before, but looking at the  email list of
different snap releases I see alpha and beta, yet on the snapshot web site
it seems only alpha have updated, the beta is showing  rc versions of the
last stable release. Am I missing something here, or are betas not actually
on the site?
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes I have a portable running on Alpha, but I seem to recall that before the renaming you also allowed beta snaps to be put up much earlier, as five weeks sounds a short time for the great unwashed like myself to have enough experience of a running everyday version to find the more obscure things. I think the release record of the last version shows this to be true as there had to be many more iterations of the RC and finally a couple of updates to stable. If you look back when the beta length was longer you find fewer versions after a stable was issued.
In a way I think many programmers underestimate the time needed to fully test increasingly complex code.
I used to know a person whose first test of any software was to randomly do stuff on the keyboard and you would be surprised how often such an apparently random act would thro up a problem with the software crashing.

Just my opinion of 68 years on the planet.
[...]

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

While I don't disagree with you, most of the errors and issues which have required additional RC's and stable releases, have been from issues which do not affect everyone, but for those they affect, they would manifest very quickly.  Which is why we get these reports almost immediately after releasing the new version.

I think then, that the issue is not so much the length of time of the beta cycle, but how do we get more people, on different systems, to try the betas earlier?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Afik Suffir <afik.sofir@...>

Hello,

Can I test the  Alpha version?

 its updating automatically?

Afik souffir.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Yes, you can download the latest alpha snapshot from: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/

If you install the alpha build, then yes, when it checks for updates each day, it will report when a new alpha build is available.

Note that left to its own devices, NVDA checks once a day / when started 24 hours after it last checked, so it may not see an update immediately - particularly with alpha updates where there sometimes might be several in a day.  That's usually not a problem, but worth bearing in mind.

Regards

Quentin.