From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of ann
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2018 2:29 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] The windows 10 emoji panel

Hi,

Is there an addon that will allow NVDA to read the emoji's in the windows emoji panel? All my NVDA says is the position in the list and how many items there are, but it does not read the character. Narrator reads them just fine, but it is a pain to have to switch to Narrator just to grab an emoji.

Thanks,

~Ann

P. Otter

hello, your speech synthesizer is guilty of that.
the narrator already does not support the emoji!
nvda does.
if a good speech synthesizer is used.
the commercial speech synthesizers do not do it any, very striking.
the onecore voices and also espeak will say the emoji's correctly!
very very strange that the commercial speechsynthesizers don't do it at all!
the free synthesizers like the onecore voices from microsoft and espeak are exelent!
cheers
paul otter

Op 11-10-2018 om 23:29 schreef ann:

Hi,

Is there an addon that will allow NVDA to read the emoji's in the windows emoji panel? All my NVDA says is the position in the list and how many items there are, but it does not read the character. Narrator reads them just fine, but it is a pain to have to switch to Narrator just to grab an emoji.

Thanks,

~Ann

.

ann

Man, I take back what I said about having to start narrator to read the pane being annoying. Having to go in to NVDA menu, then preferences,, then settings, then speech, then change synthesizer just to read the emojis and then change it all back again is way way more steps to take. It's easier just to start Narrator then turn Narrator off afterwords.

But thank you all for the info. The Microsoft voices do read them fine, but sadly, I'm not using that as my main NVDA synth. I'm using Eloquence.

~Ann

Re: The windows 10 emoji panel
From: P. Otter
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 18:17:33 EDT
hello, your speech synthesizer is guilty of that.
the narrator already does not support the emoji!
nvda does.
if a good speech synthesizer is used.
the commercial speech synthesizers do not do it any, very striking.
the onecore voices and also espeak will say the emoji's correctly!
very very strange that the commercial speechsynthesizers don't do it at all!
the free synthesizers like the onecore voices from microsoft and espeak are exelent!
cheers
paul otter

Hi,
As I said, this will all change very soon, so stay tuned.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: P. Otter
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 18:17:33 EDT
hello, your speech synthesizer is guilty of that.
the narrator already does not support the emoji!
nvda does.
if a good speech synthesizer is used.
the commercial speech synthesizers do not do it any, very striking.
the onecore voices and also espeak will say the emoji's correctly!
very very strange that the commercial speechsynthesizers don't do it
at all!
the free synthesizers like the onecore voices from microsoft and
espeak are exelent!
cheers
paul otter

Quentin Christensen

In the meantime, a quicker way to change synthesizers is NVDA+control+s.  Then either use the navigation keys or letter to jump to the desired syntehsizer and enter.

I was going to suggest making a configuration profile for the emoji window, but it disappears when you open the configuration profile window to create one.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Christo de Klerk

Use the SwitchSynth add-on. Then you can flip to another synth with one keystroke combination and back again without having to leave NVDA. I use the add-on and I have it set up to switch to various languages and synths.

Kind regards

Christo

From: P. Otter
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 18:17:33 EDT
hello, your speech synthesizer is guilty of that.
the narrator already does not support the emoji!
nvda does.
if a good speech synthesizer is used.
the commercial speech synthesizers do not do it any, very striking.
the onecore voices and also espeak will say the emoji's correctly!
very very strange that the commercial speechsynthesizers don't do it at all!
the free synthesizers like the onecore voices from microsoft and espeak are exelent!
cheers
paul otter

Brian's Mail list account

I would imagine this is a lot to do with the interface and logic. I do often moan at some synths also expanding abbreviations inappropriately, such as in UK post codes saying 2 New York instead of 2NY, or saying saint for St when in the UK it means Street.
There are many others, but I'd imagine the same kind of problem is at work here where the actual items spoken has to be programmed into the synth not the screenreader.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Oh that is clever!
To be honest I'm in two minds about these characters as often even if they get read as what they are descriptively, the way people use them makes the resulting text a complete heap of rubbish in any case.

I tend not to use them myself in any kind of system and usually i send back a slightly sarcastic message about what was wrong with English.
grin.

From: P. Otter
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 18:17:33 EDT

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/