Topics

Screen reader accessibility with Kindle


Akshaya Choudhary
 

 Hello guys!
Since, ebook readers especially customized for blind people, like Victor ebook reader, are very expensive, I'm thinking of buying a Kindle. I have heard that it has a screen reader called voiceview. How good is it? And how long does the battery last while using screen readers for reading books? Also, the latest version of Kindle Paper White doesn't come with an audio jack, so I'm also open to purchasing an older model.
All suggestions are welcome.

Regards
Sociohack


Dave <dlh007@...>
 

Why not just download the Kendal for PC program?

I've been using it for about a year, and have bought close to 15 Books
so far and counting.

Almost all Books will let you read their Text with JAWS or NVDA. But I
have purchased Two Books that do not allow the use of a Screen Reader,
but the Kendal program attempts to speak the text. It isn't a good
clear voice, and so far I've not figured a way to re-read a line, or go
back a line or two.

Not sure how to know if a Book will read with the Screen Reader or not.

but, having the Kendal program on your Computer works for me.


Clarissa Mitchell
 

I've used the Kindle for PC app, and the latest version has the
accessibility function built directly in. You used to have to install
a separate plugin for it to work; now it's just there. The app is free
too. I think you do need to have NVDA on at the same time, in order to
navigate the menu that is accessed by pressing the alt key. Regarding
books that don't have this enabled, I'm pretty sure you can find out,
when you go to the book's page on Amazon. It will say whether speech
is enabled or not on the Kindle version of the book. hth

On 10/12/18, Dave <dlh007@centurylink.net> wrote:
Why not just download the Kendal for PC program?

I've been using it for about a year, and have bought close to 15 Books
so far and counting.

Almost all Books will let you read their Text with JAWS or NVDA. But I
have purchased Two Books that do not allow the use of a Screen Reader,
but the Kendal program attempts to speak the text. It isn't a good
clear voice, and so far I've not figured a way to re-read a line, or go
back a line or two.

Not sure how to know if a Book will read with the Screen Reader or not.

but, having the Kendal program on your Computer works for me.







 

Well you could always buy an olimpus dm5 or 4 or the latest dm series most of them have voice and will support daisy among other things.

The cost is as much as an orbit.

As for your average plextalk thats round 700 bucks it is not much more than an orbit.

For software there is amis on the computer, dolphin easy reader on the pc, but I'd try to get v6, I hate the v7 interface thats 80 bucks.

Dolphin seem to have their easy reader app free on smartphones so you could use that I guess.

there is this voice dream reader thingy aparently never used that.

To be honest, while I do read books my plextalk from the library does most things, where I need to really read something I either read it on a computer or something.

Where a daisy book is split into actual tracks I have actually just played the tracks on a standard audio cd player or a media player of choice rather than my registered daisy player.

Its only a problem if the tracks are split weirdly.

On 10/13/2018 2:06 AM, Sociohack AC wrote:
Hello guys!
Since, ebook readers especially customized for blind people, like Victor ebook reader, are very expensive, I'm thinking of buying a Kindle. I have heard that it has a screen reader called voiceview. How good is it? And how long does the battery last while using screen readers for reading books? Also, the latest version of Kindle Paper White doesn't come with an audio jack, so I'm also open to purchasing an older model.
All suggestions are welcome.

Regards
Sociohack



Annette Moore
 

I use a program called Codex to convert the books and then QRead to read them if I want to read them on the computer. I do the same thing if I want to read them on the phone, except then I upload them to Dropbox and use Voice Dream Reader. I do have Kindle for PC on here though, and that does work well if I want to use it. I have a voice preference though, so I do take those extra steps and use Ivona Kendra with QRead or Voice Dream.

Annette

On 10/12/2018 10:30 AM, Clarissa Mitchell wrote:
I've used the Kindle for PC app, and the latest version has the
accessibility function built directly in. You used to have to install
a separate plugin for it to work; now it's just there. The app is free
too. I think you do need to have NVDA on at the same time, in order to
navigate the menu that is accessed by pressing the alt key. Regarding
books that don't have this enabled, I'm pretty sure you can find out,
when you go to the book's page on Amazon. It will say whether speech
is enabled or not on the Kindle version of the book. hth



On 10/12/18, Dave <dlh007@centurylink.net> wrote:
Why not just download the Kendal for PC program?

I've been using it for about a year, and have bought close to 15 Books
so far and counting.

Almost all Books will let you read their Text with JAWS or NVDA. But I
have purchased Two Books that do not allow the use of a Screen Reader,
but the Kendal program attempts to speak the text. It isn't a good
clear voice, and so far I've not figured a way to re-read a line, or go
back a line or two.

Not sure how to know if a Book will read with the Screen Reader or not.

but, having the Kendal program on your Computer works for me.







Dave <dlh007@...>
 

Yes, CodeX has become one of my most Favorite programs. I don't know
how it does what it does, but I am sure glad it is available, and that
it works so well.


Annette Moore
 

Oh, I wouldn't be without Codex! Love that thing!

On 10/12/2018 4:43 PM, Dave wrote:
Yes, CodeX has become one of my most Favorite programs. I don't know
how it does what it does, but I am sure glad it is available, and that
it works so well.





 

can I get the website?

On 10/12/2018 7:27 PM, Annette Moore wrote:
Oh, I wouldn't be without Codex! Love that thing!


On 10/12/2018 4:43 PM, Dave wrote:
Yes, CodeX has become one of my most Favorite programs.   I don't know
how it does what it does, but I am sure glad it is available, and that
it works so well.







--
check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y


Annette Moore
 

jscholes.net/project/codex/
And here's the link for the documentation:
jscholes.net/project_files/codex/readme-en.html

On 10/12/2018 9:28 PM, The Wolf wrote:
can I get the website?

On 10/12/2018 7:27 PM, Annette Moore wrote:
Oh, I wouldn't be without Codex! Love that thing!


On 10/12/2018 4:43 PM, Dave wrote:
Yes, CodeX has become one of my most Favorite programs.   I don't know
how it does what it does, but I am sure glad it is available, and that
it works so well.









Kevin Cussick
 

If I an correct I think only the older version of codex will convert Amazon Kindle books to txt.

On 13/10/2018 03:41, Annette Moore wrote:
jscholes.net/project/codex/
And here's the link for the documentation:
jscholes.net/project_files/codex/readme-en.html
On 10/12/2018 9:28 PM, The Wolf wrote:
can I get the website?

On 10/12/2018 7:27 PM, Annette Moore wrote:
Oh, I wouldn't be without Codex! Love that thing!


On 10/12/2018 4:43 PM, Dave wrote:
Yes, CodeX has become one of my most Favorite programs.   I don't know
how it does what it does, but I am sure glad it is available, and that
it works so well.









Aravind R
 

I checked now.
Codex can convert kindle books upto books under kindle for pc 1.17 version only not latest versions.

On 15-Oct-2018, at 2:20 AM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io <the.big.white.shepherd=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

If I an correct I think only the older version of codex will convert Amazon Kindle books to txt.

On 13/10/2018 03:41, Annette Moore wrote:
jscholes.net/project/codex/
And here's the link for the documentation:
jscholes.net/project_files/codex/readme-en.html
On 10/12/2018 9:28 PM, The Wolf wrote:
can I get the website?

On 10/12/2018 7:27 PM, Annette Moore wrote:
Oh, I wouldn't be without Codex! Love that thing!


On 10/12/2018 4:43 PM, Dave wrote:
Yes, CodeX has become one of my most Favorite programs. I don't know
how it does what it does, but I am sure glad it is available, and that
it works so well.










Annette Moore
 

I only convert them to Epub or PDF, so I don't know. You may be right about that, though.

On 10/14/2018 3:50 PM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
If I an correct I think only the older version of codex will convert Amazon Kindle books to txt.

On 13/10/2018 03:41, Annette Moore wrote:
jscholes.net/project/codex/
And here's the link for the documentation:
jscholes.net/project_files/codex/readme-en.html


On 10/12/2018 9:28 PM, The Wolf wrote:
can I get the website?

On 10/12/2018 7:27 PM, Annette Moore wrote:
Oh, I wouldn't be without Codex! Love that thing!


On 10/12/2018 4:43 PM, Dave wrote:
Yes, CodeX has become one of my most Favorite programs.   I don't know
how it does what it does, but I am sure glad it is available, and that
it works so well.











Mallard
 

Hello,


No, the newer one as well. I do that all the time for a friend who can't read any other formats...


Ciao,

Ollie

Il 15/10/2018 01:32, Annette Moore ha scritto:
I only convert them to Epub or PDF, so I don't know. You may be right about that, though.


On 10/14/2018 3:50 PM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
If I an correct I think only the older version of codex will convert Amazon Kindle books to txt.

On 13/10/2018 03:41, Annette Moore wrote:
jscholes.net/project/codex/
And here's the link for the documentation:
jscholes.net/project_files/codex/readme-en.html


On 10/12/2018 9:28 PM, The Wolf wrote:
can I get the website?

On 10/12/2018 7:27 PM, Annette Moore wrote:
Oh, I wouldn't be without Codex! Love that thing!


On 10/12/2018 4:43 PM, Dave wrote:
Yes, CodeX has become one of my most Favorite programs.   I don't know
how it does what it does, but I am sure glad it is available, and that
it works so well.