Hi

Michael Munn

Hi all, This is Michael. i have a question about a feature in NVDA.
How can one virtualize a window using NVDA? I'm asking that because yesterday I was doing something with NVDa and some error message pop up and I couldn't read it because I don't know how to virtualize the message.
I would be able to read it if I use Jaws. I'm not saying bad thing about the nvda Screen reader.
Please help if you all can.
Best Regards Michael Munn

Antony Stone

Please explain what you mean by "virtualize a window".

That phrase doesn't mean anything to me (and therefore, maybe not to others
here either).

Antony.

--
BASIC is to computer languages what Roman numerals are to arithmetic.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

David Griffith

The phrase Virtualised window is often used to describe the process where text is collected from a Screen GUII and presented in a virtual window buffer which a screenreader can use.

In relation to the original question NVDA in the first case will most often read a window / dialogue box with the same keypress as Jaws – that is NVDA plus B.

Unfortunately NVDA does not have all the same cursor abilities as Jaws but if NVDA plus B does not deliver the required results then some options are still available.

First of all you can try object navigation.  Basically you can experiment with pressing numbers of the keypad if you have desktop layout to see if you get any useful results. You can refer to the User Guide for more detailed and explicit instructions.

Finally you can use the inbuilt Windows 10 OCR facility with NVDA simply by pressing NVDA plus R.

This is often as good as if not better than Jaws Virtual Convenient OCR in relation to reading window contents.

If using earlier  versions of windows you will need to download an Virtual OCR  addon but I must admit when I used to use this it did not deliver many useful results in my experience.

David Griffith.

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog

--

BASIC is to computer languages what Roman numerals are to arithmetic.

                                                   Please reply to the list;

                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Rui Fontes

Hi!

David, in some cases, the NVDA object navigation is better then Jaws 18 cursor... With the new cursor of Jaws 2018 and 2019 I don't know...

And there are an addon to virtualize the window.., see in:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/virtualRevision.en.html

Rui Fontes

--
BASIC is to computer languages what Roman numerals are to arithmetic.
                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Gene

You can't virtualize a window using NVDA.  You need to use screen review keys.  do you know them?  If you want to copy screen material to the clipboard where there is no cursor, such as in an error dialog, you need to use screen review keys and an NVDA command to copy the material to the clipboard.

I won't answer further in this message because I want to be sure what you need to know.  From your message, it sounds as though you need to know screen review commands and how to copy text to the clipboard as I discussed.  There are explanations in the manual of all this.  I can look up sections where it is.

but others may provide the information and/or explanations of their own so I'll see how things develop.

--
BASIC is to computer languages what Roman numerals are to arithmetic.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Gene

    In JAWS, you can place a window in the Virtual PC cursor buffer as though it were a web page.  Or, if         NVDA had this feature, it would be in the browse mode buffer.  This allows the user to move around in a window such as an error dialog as though there were a cursor when there isn't.  You can copy to the clipboard just as you can on a web page.  But NVDA, as you know, but for those who don't, can do the same things in different ways.

Sent: Friday, October 12, 2018 11:18 AM

--
BASIC is to computer languages what Roman numerals are to arithmetic.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Chris Mullins

Hi
Download and install the Virtual review addon then you can use
NVDA+Control+w to virtualise a window then browse it using arrow keys.

Cheers
Chris

Hi all, This is Michael. i have a question about a feature in NVDA.
How can one virtualize a window using NVDA? I'm asking that because
yesterday I was doing something with NVDa and some error message pop up and
I couldn't read it because I don't know how to virtualize the message.
I would be able to read it if I use Jaws. I'm not saying bad thing about the
nvda Screen reader.
Please help if you all can.
Best Regards Michael Munn

Gene

However, does using this add--on discourage learning how to use screen-review commands in NVDA?  and does this lack of learning mean that, when it is advisable to use the activate command available on the numpad or to use the route and click virtual mouse commands NVDA provides, the user won't know how to do these things?  This may be an add-on that duplicates functions already available in NVDA where the user would be much better off learning the NVDA way to do things if the user if at all demanding and who wishshes to go beyond rather elementary learning.  Also, some NVDA review commands are essential for working with Windows 10 apps.  It sounds like a bad idea to have such an add-on that discourages learning of the screen-reader itself.

Hi all, This is Michael. i have a question about a feature in NVDA.
How can one virtualize a window using NVDA? I'm asking that because
yesterday I was doing something with NVDa and some error message pop up and
I couldn't read it because I don't know how to virtualize the message.
I would be able to read it if I use Jaws. I'm not saying bad thing about the
nvda Screen reader.
Please help if you all can.
Best Regards Michael Munn

Rui Fontes

Hi!

I was the mentor of this addon initially developed by Rui Batista and currently maintained by Joseph Lee...

I do not agree that it will force the users to do not learn NVDA review tools, but it will be usefull untill they learn...
And it is also usefull to users coming from Jaws...

Rui

Às 19:19 de 12/10/2018, Gene escreveu:

[...]

It will be interesting to see what others say.  I don't think that it is a good idea to provide add-ons that provide a way to do something that lowers the chance that the most versatile and useful way will be learned.  That was also the problem with the Window-eyes JAWS imitation interface.  It may have gotten some JAWS users to use Window-eyes, but the imitation JAWS interface had less functionality than the real Window-eyes interface.

I was the mentor of this addon initially developed by Rui Batista and
currently maintained by Joseph Lee...

I do not agree that it will force the users to do not learn NVDA review
tools, but it will be usefull untill they learn...
And it is also usefull to users coming from Jaws...

Rui

Às 19:19 de 12/10/2018, Gene escreveu:
> However, does using this add--on discourage learning how to use
> screen-review commands in NVDA?  and does this lack of learning mean
> that, when it is advisable to use the activate command available on the
> numpad or to use the route and click virtual mouse commands NVDA
> provides, the user won't know how to do these things?  This may be an
> add-on that duplicates functions already available in NVDA where the
> user would be much better off learning the NVDA way to do things if the
> user if at all demanding and who wishshes to go beyond rather elementary
> learning.  Also, some NVDA review commands are essential for working
> with Windows 10 apps. It sounds like a bad idea to have such an add-on
> that discourages learning of the screen-reader itself.
> Gene

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I have noticed that some alerts in windows and other software are using some odd way of displaying a message. Even if it opens in the background, alt tabbing to it will not actually read it. sometimes, but not always, you can switch to screen virtual nav and read it a bit at a time, but not always.
I noticed in Jaws this happens far less and it seems able to read these. Obviously the text can be seen by nvda, its just the automatic reading when appropriate which is missing. Its quite hard to do an nvda/F1 on some of these without losing the focus and getting meaningless log entries though.
I'm just guessing this is what is being discussed.
Nodal windows or some such or errors say in a C program or an exception somewhere in a program are the main ones. The other problem I often see is that nvda cannot reboot while an error that crashed its error is on screen. sometimes Narrator will read those but not always.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

The questions are then, does having the add on stop the old commands from working
Does the new virtualised window offer any of the operations like clicking of the inbuilt system
If it does do this, then is it maybe better?
Is there anything that it can do that the navigation modes cannot. I seem to recall that its still not as good as the Jaws version.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Hi all, This is Michael. i have a question about a feature in NVDA.
How can one virtualize a window using NVDA? I'm asking that because
yesterday I was doing something with NVDa and some error message pop up and
I couldn't read it because I don't know how to virtualize the message.
I would be able to read it if I use Jaws. I'm not saying bad thing about the
nvda Screen reader.
Please help if you all can.
Best Regards Michael Munn

Gene

Virtualizing a Window in JAWS doesn't allow you to click something.  It does allow you to copy material from the virtualized window so you can paste it somewhere.  This is useful when you want to paste content from an error message into an e-mail describing the error to someone, as an example of one use.

Does the add-on allow copying to the clipboard of selected material?  Whether it does or not, NVDA has its own way of doing this.

Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2018 2:48 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> I was the mentor of this addon initially developed by Rui Batista and
> currently maintained by Joseph Lee...
>
> I do not agree that it will force the users to do not learn NVDA review
> tools, but it will be usefull untill they learn...
> And it is also usefull to users coming from Jaws...
>
> Rui
>

> Às 19:19 de 12/10/2018, Gene escreveu:
>> However, does using this add--on discourage learning how to use
>> screen-review commands in NVDA? and does this lack of learning mean that,
>> when it is advisable to use the activate command available on the numpad
>> or to use the route and click virtual mouse commands NVDA provides, the
>> user won't know how to do these things? This may be an add-on that
>> duplicates functions already available in NVDA where the user would be
>> much better off learning the NVDA way to do things if the user if at all
>> demanding and who wishshes to go beyond rather elementary learning. Also,
>> some NVDA review commands are essential for working with Windows 10 apps.
>> It sounds like a bad idea to have such an add-on that discourages
>> learning of the screen-reader itself.
>> Gene

Rui Fontes

Yes, it allows that...