No voice, Power Point Slide Show view on Laptop with HDMI connected, NVDA restart fixes problem

Rick

I have 2 high-end Lenovo laptops with nVidia graphics cards. Both are running Windows 10 Professional and Office 365 desktop apps. One computer is brand new while the other is 3 years old. These are work computers, so Windows and Office are updated within the last few months and not necessarily running the absolute latest updates. I am running the latest released version of NVDA and have no addin present. I have Microsoft Speech API Version 5 as my voice.

If connected to projectors using the HDMI port, putting a Power Point presentation into slide show mode (by pressing the F5 key) I lose all speech output on that particular window. It doesn’t matter if I am using the internal speakers or am connected to a wired or wireless headset. Alt tabbing to other windows and NVDA speaks just fine, but not on the slide show window. Moving from slide to slide produces no speech. If the HDMI connection is not present, NVDA speaks just fine in slide show mode.

If I now restart NVDA with Power Point still displaying the slide show and the HDMI connection still present, everything works as expected. NVDA reads the slides as I navigate from slide to slide, using the internal speakers or connected headset.

I tried restarting NVDA after booting the computer to see if it was a problem with the autostart of NVDA completing prior to other parts of the system completing initialization, but it still failed to speak in slide show window until restarting NVDA after launching Power Point.

Rick

Hi,

This may have to do with audio output redirection: when an HDMI cable is connected, sound is sent through the cable, so NVDA may not recognize that you’ve still got your internal sound card active. You can ask NVDA to speak through a chosen sound card via Synthesizer/output device combo box (Control+NVDA+S).

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Hello Joseph:

I will look into this as I try to replicate the problem using a TV monitor instead of a projector and see if the sound actually gets rerouted. However, this only happens on the Power Point Slide Show window. All other windows continue speaking out the default speaker. I would think that all speech would be rerouted and not just the slide show. Additionally, once I restart NVDA, I can open and close Power Point and the speech continues to come out the default speaker when starting a slide show.

Also, Narrator does not exhibit this problem.

Rick

[...]

Mike Sedmak

Have you tried
Use f5 to start the slideshow
Use ESCAPE to close the slideshow
Use F5 again to start the slideshow

I find that starting the slideshow a second time works more
consistently than the first try.

On 10/12/18, Rick <softwarethatworks@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Do all sounds go away, or just nvda. I was wondering if the sound was going to hdmi.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

Do you by any chance have a special profile set up for powerpoint that was in some way being used to set sound parameters, like a particular voice. I do not see how though, it would take the form you mention. This sounds almost like a sound driver quirk but only affecting one piece of software. Do any other bits of office do this?
I've not used recent versions of Powerpoint but I do know that a virtual window from another machine won't speak but that has little to do with your action.
[...]

Hello Mike:

Are you experiencing the same Condition as me?

I tried closing the slide show and reopening as you suggested with no change. NVDA still will not speak when the slide show window is active. However, it speaks when I alt+tab away from that window.

Rick

[...]

Hello Brian:

I tried to replicate the problem here at home. Since I do not have a
projector, I used at TV instead. The computer is set to duplicate the
desktop on the second screen (i.e. the TV).

In this case, when I start the computer with the HDMI connector connected,
all sounds are played on the TV instead of the internal speakers, including
NVDA speech. However, when I start the slide show, NVDA goes silent as I
navigate through the slides, but Narrator happily plays it limited
information about each slide. I also added slide transition sounds to my
presentation and they play on the TV while NVDA remains silent. However,
once I restart NVDA, NVDA reads the slides as expected.

Therefore, I do not think this is a sound mapping issue.

Rick

[...]

No it sounds like something is telling nvda there is no sound device at all, which is definitely weird when you consider its just powerpoint, part of Office and one might consider all the audio parts are probably shared.

This sounds like an issue needs to be raised. I'd suspect nobody has tried a tv via hdmi so would not spot it. The fact that it is still giving sound but not nvda.
What happens if you open that windows dialogue that shows each sound generating bit of software and its volume like on windows 7, I assume that is in 10.
I did see somebody describe Windows 10 audio as a bit of a dogs dinner, which definitely does not sound good.

Unfortunately looking on the back of my pc I do not have an hdmi socket. so...

[...]

Pranav Lal

Rick,

Set your output device in NVDA specifically which should solve the problem.
I think the usual setting is microsoft sound mapper. Set the output device
to your internal sound card. That way, when your computer begins sending
audio over HDMI, NVDA will continue speaking through the internal sound
card.

Pranav

Well to be honest that issue can happen if you switch sound cards, then switch them back.

If you go to audio output you can probably select a device.

I have noticed this when pulling out a  device and not switching it back.

I don't usually have that issue on windows but I have had instances where a user set sound on a spaciffic device for special reason and it stayed there.

It would stay there till I used that device to switch back.

Thats fine if that device existed at all and or I could plug my external card in and switch back.

I could get a sightling to switch back.

But its happened a lot on my system where a user would use it for something and switch my sound.

A full reformat is needed to get sound back and I have banned anyone for doodling with my system.

If they do and mess it up I reformat and rage at that user but thats not happened for ages.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick" <softwarethatworks@gmail.com>

[...]

Hello Pranav:

Before making this suggestion, were you able to replicate my exact problem
and determine that this fixed it.

I changed the NVDA setting to use the internal speaker and added slide
transition sounds to my Power Point slide show. NVDA now spoke on internal
speakers while window sounds played on HDMI. NVDA does the same exact thing
when the slide show is started (no voice on the slide show window, but
speaks everywhere else when alt tabbing away from the slide show window.
Power point slide transition sounds were played on the HDMI device (i.e.
TV). Sadly, restarting NVDA no longer fixed the problem and NVDA simply did
not speak on the slide show window.

Changing NVDA back to sound mapper and now restart of NVDA no longer
corrects when restarted. Now I have a computer that simply won't speak the
slide content when connected to HDMI, even after restarting NVDA.

I think this is a bug in NVDA.

Don't ya just love computers?!?

Rick