Non Adobe PDF Readers that are accessible?

Hello,
I'm looking for PDF readers and possibly writers that are really accessible with NVDA.
I know CutePDF has an amazing writer I always use, but has anyone tried their pro program?
I am looking mostly for reading, but would really like to know of something for writing and signing PDFs as well.
Does anyone know of any?
Thanks,

Salva Doménech Miguel <kibayasd@...>

Hi.
I use to use Microsoft Office Word 2016, it can read and save pdf documents.
Cheers
Salva

El 15/09/2016 a las 22:53, Brandon Keith Biggs escribió:
Hello,
I'm looking for PDF readers and possibly writers that are really accessible with NVDA.
I know CutePDF has an amazing writer I always use, but has anyone tried their pro program?
I am looking mostly for reading, but would really like to know of something for writing and signing PDFs as well.
Does anyone know of any?
Thanks,

Hello,
Does Word 2016 convert the PDF or read it? Also, does it have an OCR functionality?
Thanks,

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Salva Doménech Miguel via Groups.io <kibayasd@...> wrote:
Hi.
I use to use Microsoft Office Word 2016, it can read and save pdf documents.
Cheers
Salva

El 15/09/2016 a las 22:53, Brandon Keith Biggs escribió:
Hello,
I'm looking for PDF readers and possibly writers that are really accessible with NVDA.
I know CutePDF has an amazing writer I always use, but has anyone tried their pro program?
I am looking mostly for reading, but would really like to know of something for writing and signing PDFs as well.
Does anyone know of any?
Thanks,

Tea Turković

hi,

I use Abbyy finereader 12 for converting pdf files to Microsoft word and after conversion I read the content. Also, I use MS Word for saving pdf documents.

Cheers!

Tea Turkovic

9/15/2016 u 10:55 PM, Salva Doménech Miguel via Groups.io je napisao/la:

> Hi.
> I use to use Microsoft Office Word 2016, it can read and save pdf documents.
> Cheers
> Salva
>

> El 15/09/2016 a las 22:53, Brandon Keith Biggs escribió:

>> Hello,
>> I'm looking for PDF readers and possibly writers that are really accessible with NVDA.
>> I know CutePDF has an amazing writer I always use, but has anyone tried their pro program?
>> I am looking mostly for reading, but would really like to know of something for writing and signing PDFs as well.
>> Does anyone know of any?
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Brandon Keith Biggs

Salva Doménech Miguel <kibayasd@...>

Hi. Only it converts te pdf in a readable document, but I don't think that uses ocr, but y don't know.

El 15/09/2016 a las 23:16, Brandon Keith Biggs escribió:
[...]

its actually easier with the codex jscholes.net project to do this. you can convert 1 file at a time from the shell.
You can't convert multipul files from the shell as each conversion runs codex instance to convert.
You can however do this from the main program itself which I guess is usefull if you have umpteen hundred files but codex is quick enough.
You can make txt rtf, epub, mobi, docx and pdf from the same explorer shell and I assume you can convert normal files to that format without the right app installed.
For me that is a lot better than any adobe product.
I do use adobe or rather did as some documents just won't convert right but between this and a few other things if all you use abbyy products for is conversion you may want to try this thing it all depends what you convert and how much.
For me its ebooks and manuals and I don't always have to many of those.

On 16/09/2016 9:19 a.m., Tea Turković wrote:
[...]

Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>

Mallard

Hello,

It depends on what you want to do.

If you want to read pdf files without converting them, I think Foxit is still viable, although I haven't used it for some time.

If you don't tneed to actually seethe pdf file as such, but simply convert it, you can either use Sumatra Pdf (which allows you to save as txt, and maintains most of the formatting), or Codex, which is a re-packaged Calibre, and allows you to convert from one to thousands of files in one go (takes time, of course).

In this latter case you can chose among a number of different formats.

There's another lovely programme, which is not free, but incredibly efficient, which is called

Qread, by Accessible Apps

Here's the link to it:

https://q-continuum.net/qread/

And here's the description from the website:

QRead is an innovative and powerful eText reader for the Windows platform. Perfect for students, professionals, and casual readers alike, QRead provides access to a wide range of e-book formats with support for bookmarking, searching, and more all in a convenient and intuitive tabbed interface.
Try a free demo now!
Enjoy the power and freedom to read
Have you read a good book lately? Are you tempted by the thousands of books online but can't figure out how to read them accessibly?
You've probably heard that the way the world reads books is changing. EBooks, digital versions of print books, have exploded in popularity. While people still buy print books, many more buy electronic books online and read them with devices like computers, tablets, and phones. EBooks are often more affordable, are more portable, and are easily searchable, making them ideal for today's lifestyle.
There are hundreds of thousands of eBook titles available in various formats these days, ranging from fun and lighthearted to serious scholarly works. There are books for students of all ages from childrens books to textbooks for postsecondary classes.
There are all kinds of novels, mysteries, romances, as well as cookbooks, biographies, and self-help books. Many magazines offer online versions as well.
For the blind, this wealth of new material has offered a mixed blessing. On one hand the amount of new books and magazines available for us to read is unprecedented. Until recently, the only ways to read a print book were to scan it or hope that one of the library services recorded it. Now that publishers are putting their books into digital form on the computer, scanning isn't necessary anymore.
However, if you have any experience reading electronic books as a blind person, you've probably encountered some of the following hurdles:
• Books are in a variety of formats requiring many different applications to open.
• Some popular reading applications are difficult to use with a screenreader
• Some reading applications only read with their built-in voice, not letting a person see how words are spelled or change the voice that reads the book.
• There is no standard way of keeping your place in a book, especially if your computer crashes!
• Navigation, particularly by large blocks of text such as pages or chapters is often impossible.
My name is Christopher Toth, and I wrote QRead to make reading fun and easy again. I need the software myself, and I want to help other visually impaired people discover the pleasure of reading e-books.
QRead lets the reader focus on the content of books without worrying about the mechanics of reading. It has comfort and flexibility at its core, fading into the background as you reach the climax in a thriller or romance. Book navigation is easy and uses keystrokes blind readers already use with their screenreader, so they can focus on what really matters.
Read a user's thought's on QRead here (opens in new tab)
QRead Features
QRead is both easy to use and powerful in several ways. Here is a list of features you'll love in QRead.
• QRead saves your place in each book you read, even if your computer crashes while reading. No more struggling to find your place if you need to restart your machine for any reason.
• QRead lets each user use his or her screenreader and the voice they like best for reading
• Searching for text in a book is easy and fast.
• QRead can open multiple books, so students can move easily between books while doing research.
• QRead can set multiple bookmarks in each book, helping you move quickly to important content.
• Readers can navigate by page, heading, chapter, section, or percentage in a book as long as its format supports the type of navigation they want to use.
• Books open quickly, and QRead remembers which books have been opened recently.
• Users can copy text from the QRead window to other applications. This is especially useful if you want to quote a book for a research paper or speech.
• PDF files open more quickly than in Adobe Reader.
• QRead works with daisy files from Bookshare whether you keep your files zipped or prefer to extract them to folders.
• QRead's search feature supports using regular expressions for powerful searches.

Supported formats
QRead currently supports the following formats:
• PDF: QRead has industry leading PDF parsing support for extracting text streams from PDF.
• EPub: Easy access to all textual content from an unprotected ePub file.
• Bookshare Daisy: Open both zipped and unzipped bookshare Daisy files with support for requesting the bookshare user password.
• Mobipocket: Open unencrypted .mobi files
• HTML: Open a variety of HTML documents such as e-books and webpages
• Microsoft Office Word 2007 DocX
• Microsoft Compiled HTML Help CHM files
• Plain text files, also known as ASCII text files
Understanding Formats
Many of the formats mentioned in the list above may be familiar to you. I want to explain two of them in a little more detail.
EPub is a new standard format many publishers use for their books. It's somewhat similar to daisy in that it can contain navigation by page, chapter, and section. EPub files can contain both text and images. QRead can read the text in ePub files. Some ePub files have encryption on them, also known as DRM. QRead can read unprotected ePub files.
Pdf files are based on an older standard created by a company called Adobe. PDF files can contain text, forms, images, and graphs. Like EPub files, some PDF files are encrypted using DRM. QRead can read the text from unprotected PDF files.
A common practice some companies use in their product manuals is to scan images of the print manual and put just the images in their PDF file. If they do this, there is no text for QRead to speak. If you open a PDF file that seems to be blank, this is often the cause. If this happens, you will need to use OCR software such as Kurzweil or Openbook to process and read the images.
Test Drive QRead
Would you like to see what QRead is like before buying it? That's a smart idea. We have a demo you can use with e-books you already have on your hard drive.
If you're a parent or teacher of a blind child, our demo will let you try the software to see if the child responds well to the reading environment. The menus and hotkeys are simple enough that a child of 8 years or older should be able to operate the software comfortably.
I want you to enjoy reading again and think you'll love QRead once you try it. Download the demo today.
When you're ready to order QRead, our check-out system is easy to use and uses secure processing. You'll have your fully working copy of QRead in a matter of minutes and can focus on the pleasure of reading.

Il 16/09/2016 03:52, Shaun Everiss ha scritto:
[...]

Adding my voice to this, I'd also like to figure out if its possible to retro add reading order changes to a pdf which was made untagged and contans many changes in formatting columns etc, which in a traditional pdf reader end up all jumbled up after the first change.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I'm looking for PDF readers and possibly writers that are really accessible
with NVDA.
I know CutePDF has an amazing writer I always use, but has anyone tried
their pro program?
I am looking mostly for reading, but would really like to know of something
for writing and signing PDFs as well.
Does anyone know of any?
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>

Hello,
I am looking for more advanced functionality with reading the PDF like filling out forms and signing.
I get a lot of protected documents that require me to read, fill out and sign and I can't do it very well with Adobe. Converting into word doesn't work either.
Thanks,

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 1:31 AM, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:
Adding my voice to this, I'd also like to figure out if its possible to retro add reading order changes to a pdf which was made untagged and contans many changes in formatting columns etc, which in a traditional pdf reader end up all jumbled up after the first change.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brandon Keith Biggs" <brandonkeithbiggs@...>
I'm looking for PDF readers and possibly writers that are really accessible
with NVDA.
I know CutePDF has an amazing writer I always use, but has anyone tried
their pro program?
I am looking mostly for reading, but would really like to know of something
for writing and signing PDFs as well.
Does anyone know of any?
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>

Mallard

Hello,

Try Foxit then; I think that has the features you require.

Ciao,

Ollie

briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
<brandonkeithbiggs@gmail.com <mailto:brandonkeithbiggs@gmail.com>>