Unable to read the edit field labels for the file properties in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word

David Apps

I hope that you are having a great day.

I am using NVDA 2018.3.2 with Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) (Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134) and Microsoft Excel for Office 365 MSO (16.0.10827.20118) (32-bit).

When I view or edit the file properties in Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Word (File > Info), NVDA does not read the labels for the edit fields for the properties (Title, Tags, and so on). Am I doing something wrong or should I report this as a bug?

Thank you

David

________________________________

Notice of Confidentiality

This email is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose, reproduce, distribute or use this information. Delivery of this message to any person other than the individual or entity to whom it is addressed is not intended in any way to waive confidentiality. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and delete the message immediately.

RNA Analytics is a limited liability company registered in England and Wales, under registered number 10521383.
The registered address is: Ground Floor, Bancroft Place, 10 Bancroft Road, Reigate, Surrey, RH2 7RP, United Kingdom

________________________________

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi, David,

Have you checked the Table switches in the document formatting settings? If
not, there are two tags to turn on.
Tables
Row/column headings

These are not on by default so you have to open document settings (
NVDA+control+d) and then press tab several times to get to the "Tables
grouping". The first one is "Tables" and the next is the "row/column
headings". You move through each switch using the up or down-arrow keys.

Let us know if this fixes the problem.

I always turn these off again because they are noisy if you do not need the
information they provide.

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

Dear Cearbhall

Thank you very much for your message and for your suggestion. Interestingly, those document formatting options were already selected. I tried clearing them before selecting them again. I receive the same results in each situation. Do you receive different results?

1. In Microsoft Word, open a document or create a new blank document.
2. Press Alt+F, I to open the file info page.
3. Press Tab. NVDA says "Protect Document grouping Protect Document Alt, F, I, P".
4. Press Tab. NVDA says "Inspect Document grouping Before publishing this file, be aware that it contains Check for Issues Alt, F, I, I".
5. Press Tab. NVDA says "Manage Document grouping Check out document or recover unsaved changes. Manage Document Alt, F, I, R".
6. Press tab. NVDA says "Properties grouping Properties Alt, F, I, Q S".
7. Press Tab. NVDA says "edit blank". I expected it to say "Title" before this. I can press NVDA+Numpad 8 to obtain the label.
8. Press Tab. NVDA says "edit blank". I expected it to say "Tags" before this. I can press NVDA+Numpad 8 to obtain the label.
9. Press Tab. NVDA says "edit multi line blank". I expected it to say "Comments" before this. I can press NVDA+Numpad 8 to obtain the label.

[...]

David,

Yes, I can replicate all of your points. In fact it was only really
necessary to tab between the groupings I then used the down-arrow to move to
each of the items in the same group. I got the same sequence as you did.

I also used tab as you specified and got the same results. However, I needed
to press tab to move from the info grouping to the properties grouping,
through the blank rows and next Itabbed to the autohr grouping.

I'm a bit lost! What are we looking for?

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

Sorry David,

I did not understand what your problem was and went looking for the actual
edit fields.

Now I see what you mean! I agree with you that NVDA does not speak the
labels of the three editable Info fields when I tab to them. However, NVDA
does speak the labels of the author edit fields when I tab to them.

We could raise this as an issue on Github.

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

Thank you so much for confirming that. I am sorry for my delay in replying to your message. It took me a while before I had time to create the issue on GitHub:

Thank you again

David

________________________________

Notice of Confidentiality

This email is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose, reproduce, distribute or use this information. Delivery of this message to any person other than the individual or entity to whom it is addressed is not intended in any way to waive confidentiality. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and delete the message immediately.

RNA Analytics is a limited liability company registered in England and Wales, under registered number 10521383.
The registered address is: Ground Floor, Bancroft Place, 10 Bancroft Road, Reigate, Surrey, RH2 7RP, United Kingdom

________________________________

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

David,

No problem at all! I saw your entry on Github. Glad to have been able to
confirm it.

When would you use this form? I have never had any reason to look for it
myself.

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

Thank you for your message and for your help.

You can use the fields to specify the values of many of the file properties. These file properties are available from the Windows File Explorer properties dialog box (on the "Details" tab). Some people use them to help organize and find files, and they can be useful when you want to find the correct person to contact about fixing a problem in a file.

Thank you

David

________________________________

Notice of Confidentiality

This email is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose, reproduce, distribute or use this information. Delivery of this message to any person other than the individual or entity to whom it is addressed is not intended in any way to waive confidentiality. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and delete the message immediately.

RNA Analytics is a limited liability company registered in England and Wales, under registered number 10521383.
The registered address is: Ground Floor, Bancroft Place, 10 Bancroft Road, Reigate, Surrey, RH2 7RP, United Kingdom

________________________________

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Thank you, David,

I understand its importance now!

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

Just catching up on this as I've been away for a few days.  I too can replicate the issue.  In the interim, I have two possible workarounds:

- When on one of the edit fields, press NVDA+numpad 8 (Desktop keyboard layout) or NVDA+shift+up arrow (Laptop keyboard layout) to move the review cursor to the containing object.  That reads the label and you can then type into the field as normal.  Unless you've set the review cursor to not follow focus, you can press the same keystroke when you tab to the next field.

- When tabbing through that info page, before the edit fields there is a "properties" grouping.  Press ENTER on that, and then ENTER on the first (only) option which is "Advanced properties".  That opens a traditional dialog box with more fields and options, and the labels read correctly on that dialog.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

enes sarıbaş

hi,

Is this a UIA issue or NVDA caused issue?