NVDA with Links and Attachments Continued

David Russell

Hello Everyone,

Gene, I understand what you are saying about links and will send
myself a test message. However, If I copy and paste a YouTube link, or
a specified URL is typed in an email, as I proof-read my email,
oftentimes the word 'link' will not be heard with the URL. In some
cases, people have told me that the URL did not get received by them
as a link, only the URL itself. Moreover, the same is observed to
occur on Facebook.
Test:
www.abc.com

At one point in the past, it seems typed URL's did automatically
appear with a link in one's email and not too terribly long ago..
I'll send this communication to myself as well, thank you.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@gmail.com

Gene

Proofreading a message is not the same as receiving a message.  Proofreading a message being composed will usually not show links as links, as far as I know.  As far as I know, this is JAWS doing what a screen-reader shouldn't do, pretending something is being shown as a link when it isn't and is just text as far as a sighted person reading a message they are composing is concerned.  But if I'm wrong, I hope to be corrected.  I've never checked this.  But JAWS didn't used to announce link and NVDA doesn't.

If someone receives a message from you and you have written a link properly, www.rest of link or http://www.rest of link, if that person doesn't see the structure as a linkk, that's their problem.  Maybe they are reading mail as plain text and maybe their e-mail program doesn't show mail as a link in plain text.

Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:12 PM
To: nvda
Subject: [nvda] NVDA with Links and Attachments Continued

Hello Everyone,

Gene, I understand what you are saying about links and will send
myself a test message. However, If I copy and paste a YouTube link, or
a specified URL is typed in an email, as I proof-read my email,
oftentimes the word 'link' will not be heard with the URL. In some
cases, people have told me that the URL did not get received by them
as a link, only the URL itself. Moreover, the same is observed to
occur on Facebook.
Test:
www.abc.com

At one point in the past, it seems typed URL's did automatically
appear with a link in one's email and not too terribly long ago..
I'll send this communication to myself as well, thank you.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Often if you look at emails in html in a text reader, in addition to any html you often see links and email addresses twice, ie once in text and again surrounded by greater than and less than characters, and on email addresses with mailto inside the greater than lesser than areas.
I think its all down to how you send the text. In my email client it is supposed to send in plain text, but Microsoft in their infinite wisdom seem to manage to make links into links when its sent for those reading in html. Not all clients work this way but many can be set up that way in settings.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

But I really doubt that the less than and greater than signs turn the text in between into a link.  It may do something like allow some e-mail programs to work with it as a link when you press enter on it but I doubt it looks like a link when someone is typing a message.  Perhaps someone who visually sees such links when composing will comment.  One question is whether the links appear twice in the message under composition or only after being sent in the copy to the recipient or in the sent messages folder and whether the link is shown as just text or in some way as a link in the message under composition.

Also, I don't think this has anything to do with whether the message is written as plain text or HTML.  Again, someone who has visually seen both may wish to comment.  My guess is that, when a message is sent, some e-mail clients place the less than and greater sign around the second copy of the link so that all clients can work with the link.  Just as an e-mail address has a less than and greater sign surrounding it, I suspect the principle is the same.

Sent: Friday, October 19, 2018 2:36 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'