Say all

Vlad Dragomir

Dear fellow users,

I hope someone will be able to tell me what I am doing wrong here.

I have a big .txt file, and I thought I would just sit back and ask NVDA to read it to me by pressing the usual command, insert+down arrow. Unfortunately after two or three paragraphs, the reading stops, and the cursor is still at the beginning of the file. If I go down with the arrow keys and find the place where it stopped reading, it does continue, but again only for about a minute, and it stops again. Once more, the cursor is where I left it.

Isn't it supposed to read the document until the end? Or at least until we stop it? I tried Notepad, QRead, even Notepad++. The behaviour is the same, so I presume I haven't configured NVDA correctly, but I can't guess which setting is to be modified.

Thank you very much for enlightening me on this. I'd love to be able to enjoy this book without having to go down line by line.

Warm regards,

vlad.

Rui Fontes

Maybe some setting on screen duration?

NVDA, by itself, do not have any setting to that...

Rui

Às 23:52 de 18/10/2018, Vlad Dragomir escreveu:

[...]

Gene

What does it do with other text files?  I've seen something like this happen with this or that program at times but never as a general pattern in numerous programs.  There is no way to misconfigure this behavior.  It is a feature in NVDA and it can't be changed.  I'm not sure why you are having the problem.

It may be that the text file is somehow not in proper form,  Try the following:
In Notepad, Open the menus.
Right arrow to format.
Down arrow to Word Wrap. If you hear checked after word wrap is announced, there is nothing to do.  Press escape in that case to return to the main window and then close the program if you wish.  If you don't hear checked, press enter.  The menu will close and Word Wrap is now checked.  Now, open the file in Notepad and see if it reads properly.  While I don't think this will solve the problem, I can't think of any other possible solutions and this one might work.

Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2018 5:52 PM
Subject: [nvda] Say all

[...]

In my last message, I should have said that if Word Wrap is already checked, press escape twice to get back to the main window and then close the program if you wish.

Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2018 5:52 PM

[...]

Tyler Spivey

This is most likely a problem with your synthesizer. Try another one.

On 10/18/2018 3:52 PM, Vlad Dragomir wrote:
[...]

I don't see what the synthesizer would have to do with the problem.  I've seen the same thing happen once in awhile.  the cursor doesn't move down as text is read and after a little while, reading stops.

Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2018 11:02 PM

This is most likely a problem with your synthesizer. Try another one.
On 10/18/2018 3:52 PM, Vlad Dragomir wrote:
> Dear fellow users,
>
> I hope someone will be able to tell me what I am doing wrong here.
>
> I have a big .txt file, and I thought I would just sit back and ask NVDA
> to read it to me by pressing the usual command, insert+down arrow.
> Unfortunately after two or three paragraphs, the reading stops, and the
> cursor is still at the beginning of the file. If I go down with the
> arrow keys and find the place where it stopped reading, it does
> continue, but again only for about a minute, and it stops again. Once
> more, the cursor is where I left it.
>
> Isn't it supposed to read the document until the end? Or at least until
> we stop it? I tried Notepad, QRead, even Notepad++. The behaviour is the
> same, so I presume I haven't configured NVDA correctly, but I can't
> guess which setting is to be modified.
>
> Thank you very much for enlightening me on this. I'd love to be able to
> enjoy this book without having to go down line by line.
>
> Warm regards,
>
> vlad.

Jacob Kruger

This can also happen pretty much exactly like this if you use the numpad 2 key instead of the actual down arrow key?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2018 11:02 PM

This is most likely a problem with your synthesizer. Try another one.
On 10/18/2018 3:52 PM, Vlad Dragomir wrote:
> Dear fellow users,
>
> I hope someone will be able to tell me what I am doing wrong here.
>
> I have a big .txt file, and I thought I would just sit back and ask NVDA
> to read it to me by pressing the usual command, insert+down arrow.
> Unfortunately after two or three paragraphs, the reading stops, and the
> cursor is still at the beginning of the file. If I go down with the
> arrow keys and find the place where it stopped reading, it does
> continue, but again only for about a minute, and it stops again. Once
> more, the cursor is where I left it.
>
> Isn't it supposed to read the document until the end? Or at least until
> we stop it? I tried Notepad, QRead, even Notepad++. The behaviour is the
> same, so I presume I haven't configured NVDA correctly, but I can't
> guess which setting is to be modified.
>
> Thank you very much for enlightening me on this. I'd love to be able to
> enjoy this book without having to go down line by line.
>
> Warm regards,
>
> vlad.

Gene

The numpad 2 key is for read current character when used by itself.  When used with numpad insert It moves you into a navigator object inside of the one you are in.  for example, if you are in an object that says Wordpad window but you aren't in the actual window, that command will move the navigator review into the window.  these are NVDA commands.  They aren't related to the problem being discussed.

Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2018 11:02 PM

This is most likely a problem with your synthesizer. Try another one.
On 10/18/2018 3:52 PM, Vlad Dragomir wrote:
> Dear fellow users,
>
> I hope someone will be able to tell me what I am doing wrong here.
>
> I have a big .txt file, and I thought I would just sit back and ask NVDA
> to read it to me by pressing the usual command, insert+down arrow.
> Unfortunately after two or three paragraphs, the reading stops, and the
> cursor is still at the beginning of the file. If I go down with the
> arrow keys and find the place where it stopped reading, it does
> continue, but again only for about a minute, and it stops again. Once
> more, the cursor is where I left it.
>
> Isn't it supposed to read the document until the end? Or at least until
> we stop it? I tried Notepad, QRead, even Notepad++. The behaviour is the
> same, so I presume I haven't configured NVDA correctly, but I can't
> guess which setting is to be modified.
>
> Thank you very much for enlightening me on this. I'd love to be able to
> enjoy this book without having to go down line by line.
>
> Warm regards,
>
> vlad.

Gene

There is another way you may be able to listen to the file even if other suggestions don't work.  Use the command numpad plus.  There are three keys on the last up and down column of the numpad.  the top one is a regular size key.  The second one is a long key and the third is another long key.  You want the second key, the first long one from the top rightmost column of the numpad.  At the beginning of the file, press that key.  Reading should start at the beginning and continue.  If you want or need to stop, pay careful attention to where you are stopping.  Remember a number of words in their correct order.  Write them down if you aren't sure you will remember them.  You will have to find those words, using the Notepad search command control f.  I am not explaining all you need to know to use the search.  If you listen to the file in this way, the review position will change but it appears it is not exactly where you stopped reading.  If you move to the exact position where you stop in terms of where the actual cursor is, you can press the key you pressed before and reading will start from where you left off.

Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2018 11:02 PM

This is most likely a problem with your synthesizer. Try another one.
On 10/18/2018 3:52 PM, Vlad Dragomir wrote:
> Dear fellow users,
>
> I hope someone will be able to tell me what I am doing wrong here.
>
> I have a big .txt file, and I thought I would just sit back and ask NVDA
> to read it to me by pressing the usual command, insert+down arrow.
> Unfortunately after two or three paragraphs, the reading stops, and the
> cursor is still at the beginning of the file. If I go down with the
> arrow keys and find the place where it stopped reading, it does
> continue, but again only for about a minute, and it stops again. Once
> more, the cursor is where I left it.
>
> Isn't it supposed to read the document until the end? Or at least until
> we stop it? I tried Notepad, QRead, even Notepad++. The behaviour is the
> same, so I presume I haven't configured NVDA correctly, but I can't
> guess which setting is to be modified.
>
> Thank you very much for enlightening me on this. I'd love to be able to
> enjoy this book without having to go down line by line.
>
> Warm regards,
>
> vlad.

Tyler Spivey

When you start a say all, NVDA sends the first chunk of text to your
synthesizer, including an index mark. Your synth needs to send that
back, so NVDA can move the cursor, send the next block of text and
repeat the process.

If something is interfering with this process, either a buggy synth,
synth driver or addon, then say all will stop working properly.

There's an easy test that might tell us. Hit say line twice to spell the
current line. If you only hear the first character, then it's your indexing.

On 10/18/2018 9:39 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

You have to be in global screen nave not screen nav for that one to work though.
It is actually what I use to avoid moving the cursor when reading and is actually the say all command in Dolphins Supernova.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

On 2018-10-19 6:39 AM, Gene wrote:

I don't see what the synthesizer would have to do with the problem. I've seen the same thing happen once in awhile. the cursor doesn't move down as text is read and after a little while, reading stops.

This is most likely a problem with your synthesizer. Try another one.
On 10/18/2018 3:52 PM, Vlad Dragomir wrote:
> Dear fellow users,
>
> I hope someone will be able to tell me what I am doing wrong here.
>
> I have a big .txt file, and I thought I would just sit back and ask NVDA
> to read it to me by pressing the usual command, insert+down arrow.
> Unfortunately after two or three paragraphs, the reading stops, and the
> cursor is still at the beginning of the file. If I go down with the
> arrow keys and find the place where it stopped reading, it does
> continue, but again only for about a minute, and it stops again. Once
> more, the cursor is where I left it.
>
> Isn't it supposed to read the document until the end? Or at least until
> we stop it? I tried Notepad, QRead, even Notepad++. The behaviour is the
> same, so I presume I haven't configured NVDA correctly, but I can't
> guess which setting is to be modified.
>
> Thank you very much for enlightening me on this. I'd love to be able to
> enjoy this book without having to go down line by line.
>
> Warm regards,
>
> vlad.

Jacob Kruger

Sorry, meant numpad +, - "Reads from the review cursor up to end of
current text, moving the review cursor as it goes".

As in, sounded almost like that was what happening.

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile...but, acdceptance is versatile..."

On 2018-10-19 6:39 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Good morning,

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am very grateful to all those who answered.

After further testing, I believe those who said it was a synthesizer thing were right in this case. Here are my findings:

I double checked and Word Wrap was selected in Notepad.
I tried Say All once more and the reading stopped after the first three or four lines again.
I asked it to spell the first line as suggested, with insert+up arrow twice quickly, and it only reported the first character of the first line.
I tried the same thing with two other different files, same behaviour.
I opened a web page and asked it to spell a line, same behaviour.
For all these tests I've used the Code Factory vocalizer synth, the one that I had intended to use for book reading.
Now, as soon as I switched to Eloquence, NVDA went back to behaving normally. Both "say all" and "spell the line" work perfectly now, in Notepad, Word, and Chrome.

Therefore, I have another question if you don't mind:

Should I send an e-mail to CF about this? How can I describe the problem to them? I am not a programmer, so I fear my description won't be detailed enough, and I might not be able to give them the necessary elements.

Many thanks once more, and a nice end of the week to everyone.

Vlad.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Have you isolated it to one voice or all their voices?
I would just tell them how it is and they should be able to test it, and if they have a driver issue or think nvda is in need of a change the ball is in their court. I'd also say that if it will not do as you wanted it, then maybe they should refund your money and remove the registration for the dodgy voices.
[...]

Are you saying you have to be using object navigation and not flat review?  I've never compared.  But your terms don't match any NVDA terms for navigation and review settings.

Sent: Friday, October 19, 2018 2:46 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

On 2018-10-19 6:39 AM, Gene wrote:

  I don't see what the synthesizer would have to do with the problem.  I've
seen the same thing happen once in awhile.  the cursor doesn't move down as
text is read and after a little while, reading stops.

  This is most likely a problem with your synthesizer. Try another one.
  On 10/18/2018 3:52 PM, Vlad Dragomir wrote:
  > Dear fellow users,
  >
  > I hope someone will be able to tell me what I am doing wrong here.
  >
  > I have a big .txt file, and I thought I would just sit back and ask NVDA
  > to read it to me by pressing the usual command, insert+down arrow.
  > Unfortunately after two or three paragraphs, the reading stops, and the
  > cursor is still at the beginning of the file. If I go down with the
  > arrow keys and find the place where it stopped reading, it does
  > continue, but again only for about a minute, and it stops again. Once
  > more, the cursor is where I left it.
  >
  > Isn't it supposed to read the document until the end? Or at least until
  > we stop it? I tried Notepad, QRead, even Notepad++. The behaviour is the
  > same, so I presume I haven't configured NVDA correctly, but I can't
  > guess which setting is to be modified.
  >
  > Thank you very much for enlightening me on this. I'd love to be able to
  > enjoy this book without having to go down line by line.
  >
  > Warm regards,
  >
  > vlad.

Gene

And that's important.  It moves the review cursor.  It doesn't move the application cursor so if you stop reading, the only way to resume reading where you left off is to move the application cursor, and thus the review cursor to where you want to start reading again.  Then you can use numpad plus to resume reading where you want to resume.

On 2018-10-19 8:38 AM, Gene wrote:
> The numpad 2 key is for read current character when used by itself.
When used with numpad insert It moves you into a navigator object inside
of the one you are in.  for example, if you are in an object that says
Wordpad window but you aren't in the actual window, that command will
move the navigator review into the window.  these are NVDA commands.
They aren't related to the problem being discussed.

> Gene

Gene

I should have said object review or screen review?  I just tested and you must be in object review for the command to work to read the entire document.  If you are in screen review, just the current screen will be read.

On 2018-10-19 6:39 AM, Gene wrote:

  I don't see what the synthesizer would have to do with the problem.  I've
seen the same thing happen once in awhile.  the cursor doesn't move down as
text is read and after a little while, reading stops.

  This is most likely a problem with your synthesizer. Try another one.
  On 10/18/2018 3:52 PM, Vlad Dragomir wrote:
  > Dear fellow users,
  >
  > I hope someone will be able to tell me what I am doing wrong here.
  >
  > I have a big .txt file, and I thought I would just sit back and ask NVDA
  > to read it to me by pressing the usual command, insert+down arrow.
  > Unfortunately after two or three paragraphs, the reading stops, and the
  > cursor is still at the beginning of the file. If I go down with the
  > arrow keys and find the place where it stopped reading, it does
  > continue, but again only for about a minute, and it stops again. Once
  > more, the cursor is where I left it.
  >
  > Isn't it supposed to read the document until the end? Or at least until
  > we stop it? I tried Notepad, QRead, even Notepad++. The behaviour is the
  > same, so I presume I haven't configured NVDA correctly, but I can't
  > guess which setting is to be modified.
  >
  > Thank you very much for enlightening me on this. I'd love to be able to
  > enjoy this book without having to go down line by line.
  >
  > Warm regards,
  >
  > vlad.

Vlad Dragomir

It's the same for all voices of this synth. Ok I'll try to send a message, maybe the issue will be fixed somehow.

Thanks and all the best!

特種兵

You must be setting your keyboard layout is "desktop"
  because setting to laptop, nvda + down is Move to next line in review only

thank you for much
Logo Kuo from Taiwan

Tyler Spivey 於 2018/10/19 15:08 寫道: