Audio charts

Tony Malykh

Hello,
I am wondering if there is a way to visualize time series information
as audio signal? For example the way I envision this tool is that
larger numbers would correspond to higher pitch tones and the entire
time series would be synthesized as variable-pitch sound a few seconds
long. I often need to deal with time series at work and it would be
very helpful to get the general idea of shape of the curve. Reading
the numbers one by one is not an option, since there are typically
hundreds and often thousands of them.

Does anybody know any existing tool capable of that? I am currently
thinking about writing an NVDA add-on for that, but I just want to
check if maybe something like that already exists.

Best
Tony

Jason White

Yes, there's extensive relevant research in this area. It isn't a subject in which I have expertise, but I did participate in a relevant project several years ago.

The Sonification Handbook summarizes much of the literature as of the time of its publication. Several researchers in accessibility have contributed as well. There are publicly available tools, such as the Sonification Sandbox:
http://sonify.psych.gatech.edu/research/sonification_sandbox/

I am wondering if there is a way to visualize time series information as audio signal? For example the way I envision this tool is that larger numbers would correspond to higher pitch tones and the entire time series would be synthesized as variable-pitch sound a few seconds long. I often need to deal with time series at work and it would be very helpful to get the general idea of shape of the curve. Reading the numbers one by one is not an option, since there are typically hundreds and often thousands of them.

Does anybody know any existing tool capable of that? I am currently thinking about writing an NVDA add-on for that, but I just want to check if maybe something like that already exists.

Best
Tony

Adriani Botez

Dear Tony,

there is a tool called audio screen but it works only in .svg files which are opened in browsers in full screen. This is quite uncommon for diagrams in general. That's why the tool is not being used by most people. Your idea is very good. i have created an issue some months ago on Github with a more detailed method which could be very efficient. Please feel free to comment on it:

Best
Adriani

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----